Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[2nd Infantry Division on Parade]

Description: Photograph of two M8 Greyhound armored scout cars from the 2nd Infantry Division on parade through downtown Austin. The 2nd Infantry Division was stationed in Texas to train up for their deployment to the South Pacific, which never happened.
Date: March 29, 1946
Creator: Allison Photograph Service
Item Type: Photograph

[Red Cross Nurses Preparing Supplies]

Description: Photograph of groups of Red Cross nurses prepare medical supplies at tables. There is a large poster on the wall in the back advertising "The Greatest Mother in the World, War Fund 1943."
Date: 1943
Creator: American National Red Cross Capital Area Division
Item Type: Photograph

[Travis County Jail Cell with bunks, toilet and sink]

Description: Photograph of a large, multi-prisoner cell in the Travis County Jail, which has six bunks, a sink, toilet and wall-mounted light. Bars form the front wall of the cell, which has two sliding doors, one at each end of the cell. The bunks are made up with sheets, and have what appear to be blankets placed at the foot of the matresses.
Date: February 1972
Creator: Austin American Statesman
Item Type: Photograph

[Governor's Mansion from grounds]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front and north elevations showing the grounds and a partial walkway, obscured by grass, bushes, and a flagpole. The upper porch is screened. The carriage house is visible behind the house. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1941 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1941
Creator: Austin Bureau of Identification Laboratory
Item Type: Photograph

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation and walkway leading up to the front door. The walkway is lined with shrubs, and there are evergreens at each side of the entry stairs. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1941 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1941
Creator: Austin Bureau of Identification Photo Lab
Item Type: Photograph

Austin, "The Friendly City"

Description: Photograph of the Texas State Capitol. The photograph appeared on the front of a card given out by the Austin Chamber of Commerce. The back of the card reads as follows, "This Card Certifies that Geo. A. Newgent representing A. J. Maloney Co is a member in good standing of the Austin Chamber of Commerce". The card is signed by the president and the manager of the Austin Chamber of Commerce and states that it will expire Dec. 31, 1949.
Date: 1949
Creator: Austin Chamber of Commerce
Item Type: Photograph

All Tied up on Zilker Kite Field

Description: Photograph of "All tied up on Zilker kite field." Two teenagers try to untangle a number of kite strings while two girls stand by. They are in a field at Zilker Park in Austin.
Date: [1969..1979]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[Boy with Kite]

Description: Photograph of a young boy with a kite. His kite has cartoon eyes, and he wears a striped shirt.
Date: 1971
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

Child takes a wild ride at Zilker Playscape

Description: Photograph of a child sliding down a tube slide at Zilker Park. His hands are in the air while his mother leans over to support his exit. She carries a camera in her right hand.
Date: [1975,1989]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[Crockett-Porter Bus]

Description: Photograph of African American students and parents waiting for a school bus, as seen from inside the bus over the should of the driver. Most likely this was the Crockett-Porter bus from 1974-1975.
Date: 197u
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[DeLeon children slide at Zilker Park]

Description: Photograph of Jesse DeLeon holding on to a play structure while brother and sister (Michael and Angie) wait behind him, getting ready to go down the slide at Zilker Park.
Date: [1975,1989]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[Glass Merchandise at Renaissance Market]

Description: Photograph of a handcrafted glass tree sculpture for sale at the Renaissance Market on "The Drag" on Guadalupe Street near the University of Texas, Austin campus. Other sculptures of a bird bath and armadillos also on display. The tree catches the sunlight and glistens while shoppers browse in the background.
Date: 197u
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[Line of Cars Waiting to Enter a Festival]

Description: Photograph of a line of cars and people waiting for entry to an unidentified music festival. Bumper-to-bumper traffic sits long enough for people to sit on and hang out of vehicles. Many individuals choose to enter the festival on foot and are visible in lines on either side of the road.
Date: [1970,1979]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[Man welding at Weigl Iron Works in Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a man wearing a welding mask, leather apron, jeans and work shirt, welding something on a bench in a work room. The wooden door to the room is open, and appears to let in light from the outside. There is a sign on the door that reads: "OPEN COME IN", and there are symbols branded into the door. Wires are strung across the rough wood plank floor, and many metal items are stacked on the floor, the workbench, and on shelves around the walls.
Date: [1971..1977]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

Mother and baby at Zilker Playscape

Description: Photograph of a mother gently swinging her baby in a chair swing at Zilker Park playscape. Both baby and mother look at each other and smile.
Date: [1975,1989]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[Protesting Aqua Fest Boat Races]

Description: Photograph of a group of people protesting the boat races on Lake Austin (now Lady Bird Lake) that were a common during Austin's Aqua Fest. The protests were led by Austin's Latin American communities who did not like the loud noises produced by the boats as the raced by their community.
Date: [1970, 1979]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[Sandal vendor at the Renaissance Market]

Description: Photograph of a vendor selling flipflops at the Renaissance Market off "The Drag" portion of Guadalupe Street near the University of Texas, Austin campus. Other vendors on the lot have taken down their booths and vacated, leaving the lot bare and full of bricks.
Date: 197u
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[Young dancers at the Austin Recreation Center]

Description: Photograph of Cheryl Block (8) & Marissa Nordstom at the Austin Recreation Center at Shoal Creek by House Park. Cheryl and Marissa look at their feet as they perform dance steps out of unison. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 197u
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[Arc welder at Weigl Iron Works]

Description: Photograph of a member of the Weigl family using an arc welder on a project. The Weigl Iron Works was founded in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl. In 1935 Weigl moved his foundry from its Exposition Boulevard location to 100 Red River location where it remained for several decades. He was joined in business by his sons Lee and Herbert who continued to operate after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, the location was reopened as Iron Works BBQ in honor of the history at that location.
Date: 19uu
Creator: Austin Citizen Photograph
Item Type: Photograph

[Hands working iron with chisel]

Description: Photograph of a man's hands working on an iron project. The hands are cracked, callused, and worn from decades of working with iron. They could belong to Fortunat Weigl or to one of his sons Lee or Herbert. Weigl Iron Works was established on Exposition Boulevard in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl and moved shortly afterwards to its location at 100 Red River. Fortunat was joined in business by his sons who operated the business after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, Iron Works BBQ opened at the 100 Red River location in honor of the building's history.
Date: 197u
Creator: Austin Citizen Photograph
Item Type: Photograph