Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 262 Matching Results

Search Results

Austin Cotton Gin

Description: Austin Cotton Gin was owned by W. T. Caswell and was located on the west side of Chicon St. Horse-drawn wagons with bales of cotton. Workers pose for photograph. Hand-crank loading cranes on platform.
Date: 1900~
Creator: Caswell, W. T.

Community Chest

Description: Group of women and the Mayor on the back of a fire engine. Back of the photo reads, "L-R: Mrs. Alden Davis, Mrs. Jess Walker (Ina). Mayor Tom Miller at right."
Date: October 10, 1941
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.

[Dacy Shoe Store Display]

Description: Photograph of a window display of photographs of servicemen during World War II at Dacy's Shoe Store. A sign reads "Let's back-up these Austin boys by buying more and more defense stamps and bonds, save 10% of your salary."
Date: 194u
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.

[Falstaff Beer Trucks]

Description: Beer trucks belonging to the Lightsey Carroll Company Distributors stand at the ready to deliver beer to thirsty Austinites. Featuring the Capitol in the background lends an air of legality to beer distribution, particularly considering that Prohibition had ended just five months before.
Date: May 25, 1934
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.