Description: Photograph of Cheryl Block (8) & Marissa Nordstom at the Austin Recreation Center at Shoal Creek by House Park. Cheryl and Marissa look at their feet as they perform dance steps out of unison. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph