Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

U.S. Military Post from Tower

Description: Photograph of a U.S. Military Post, taken from a nearby tower. A low stone building is visible across the foreground, and a 2-story building, possibly housing, is visible across the background. Other buildings are in the center. Cabinet card format.
Date: unknown
Creator: Jacobson, M. E.
Item Type: Photograph

U.S. Military Post, Officers' Quarters

Description: Photograph of Officers' Quarters at the U.S. Military post in San Antonio. The building is a slanted, two-story row of rooms in four segments. A brief, printed history of San Antonio is provided on the back of the photograph.
Date: unknown
Creator: Jacobson, M. E.
Item Type: Photograph

[U.S. Military Post, San Antonio, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a U.S. Military post in San Antonio, taken from a distance uphill. A tower is visible in the background. Several buildings are at right and at center is a field with large mounds of hay. The back of the photograph provides a printed description and history of the vicinity.
Date: unknown
Creator: Jacobson, M. E.
Item Type: Photograph

[University of Texas School of Military Aeronautics Squad 36]

Description: Photograph of Squad 36 standing in four lines on the steps in front of a bulding. The men wear their uniforms and hold their campaign hats in their left hands at their sides as they stand at attention. In 1917, President Woodrow Wilson and the Council of National Defense established military schools for aviators at six college campuses around the country. The Schools of Military Aeronautics (SMAs) were to provide basic technical instruction for beginning pilots before they moved on to flight training. The SMA students were not considered regular university students. Those attending the SMA became soldiers in a new branch of the US Army called "Air Service," later becoming the United States Air Force. The UT SMA was initially housed in B. Hall, but moved housing once enrollment expanded from 50 to several hundred men. By the end of the war, the UT SMA had over 1,000 men enrolled--the largest in the country--and was known as the "West Point of the Air." It would be the prototype for the Air Force Academy. World War I officially ended on November 11, 1918, nine months after this photo was taken.
Date: February 1918
Creator: Jensen Raymer Photographers
Item Type: Photograph

[Group Portrait of Men]

Description: Photograph of 23 men in suits. Some men are unidentified, but most of the names are listed on the back (L to R by row). Names includes Cott Alexander, Warren Taylor, George Watkins, Melvin Stones, Ed Mosure, Walter Hanna, August Zeppin, Guy Collette, Max Sxhmitz, Emmett Rose, Guy Ross, M. McSwain, W.H. Richardson, Jr., W.C. Love, Ernest STubbs, O.L. koock, Harry Land, and Frank Caldwell.
Date: 1920
Creator: Jensen Studio
Item Type: Photograph

Summer Musical "Peter Pan"

Description: Photograph of the Zilker Park Hillside Theater Summer musical, "Peter Pan". In the photograph Captain Hook and Peter Pan are sword fighting.
Date: August 1971
Creator: Jim Dougherty
Item Type: Photograph

[Children's washtub band at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farm]

Description: Photograph of a washtub band consisting of at least nine young adults performing in a barn at Pioneer Farms. They wear homemade t-shirts that read "I'm a Singing Spark." Instruments consist of: three guitars, guitarron, banjo, washtub bass, and at least one tambourine. In 1852, Frederick and Harriet B. Jourdan settled on the site near Walnut Creek with their children. In 1956, grandchildren Laura and Eugene Giles, donated the core of their grandparents' property to the Heritage Society of Austin, in order to preserve the pioneer experience. The site and its museum operated under the auspices of the Austin Natural Science Association and later by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city of Austin until it was transferred back to the Heritage Society of Austin in 2003. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms operates multiple sites today. Pioneer Farms is a member of the American Association of Museums, the Association of Living History Farms and Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Texas Association of Museums and the Austin Museum Partnership.Pioneer Farms is a registered Austin Historic Landmark and a designated Heritage Tourism Destination Site. Our Pioneer School is community-education partner with the Austin Community College.
Date: [1980..]
Creator: John Bone Photographic Services
Item Type: Photograph

[Parents and children visit turkeys at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms]

Description: Photograph of a group of parents and small children visiting the turkey coop at Pioneer Farms. Two children and parent look into the turkey coop. A white turkey is walking toward the coop. Feed covers the ground. In 1852, Frederick and Harriet B. Jourdan settled on the site near Walnut Creek with their children. In 1956, grandchildren Laura and Eugene Giles, donated the core of their grandparents' property to the Heritage Society of Austin, in order to preserve the pioneer experience. The site and its museum operated under the auspices of the Austin Natural Science Association and later by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city of Austin until it was transferred back to the Heritage Society of Austin in 2003. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms operates multiple sites today. Pioneer Farms is a member of the American Association of Museums, the Association of Living History Farms and Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Texas Association of Museums and the Austin Museum Partnership.Pioneer Farms is a registered Austin Historic Landmark and a designated Heritage Tourism Destination Site. Our Pioneer School is community-education partner with the Austin Community College.
Date: [1980..]
Creator: John Bone Photographic Services
Item Type: Photograph

[Street Vendors near UT Campus]

Description: Photograph of the Renaissance Market near "The Drag" by the University of Texas, Austin campus. There are street vendors and market goers lining the street. There is Subaru station wagon parked on Guadalupe Street and a dalmatian watching the photographer.
Date: unknown
Creator: John R. Van Beekum
Item Type: Photograph

[St. David's Hospital]

Description: Exterior of the St. David's Hospital building at 606 W. 17th. Building is now the Rio House Apartments.
Date: February 16, 1929
Creator: Jordan Co.
Item Type: Photograph