Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED
O. Henry's Pen Name
Letter entitled, "O. Henry’s Pen Name," on the possible origin of his pseudonym.
[Colorado River Flood]
Photograph of the Colorado River flood in June, 1935.
[Governor's Mansion with trees]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from northeast looking at the front of the mansion partially obscured by trees. The upper porch is screened. There are leaves strewn on the lawn. The steps on the walkway are flanked by urns and the sidewalk is visible in the foreground. A flag pole is mostly obscured by a tree on the right, but the state flag can be seen reaching above the topmost branches. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Guadalupe Street
Photograph of Guadalupe Street taken from the west approximately where the present-day "The Drag" is located. A street car is in motion along the street. Texas Bookstore, University Co-Op and Roach Brothers pharmacy are on the west side of Guadalupe Street.
[School Bus In Front of Allan Junior High School]
Photograph of a school bus and students in front of Allan Junior High School. The bus is full of students and more studnets stand on the street and school campus. A man stands at the back of the bus. The school bus looks to be a 1930 Ford.
Travis County Courthouse
Exterior view of the Travis County Courthouse, Austin, Texas. It is an art deco style building.
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion with trees]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and south elevation showing the grounds and walkway, the stairs of which are bisected by a sidewalk. The upper porch is screened and partially obscured by a tree on the front lawn. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1955 was Governor Alan Shivers. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Governor's Mansion from the grounds]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion looking southeast from northwest side of the mansion on the grounds. Trees and a stone birdbath are visible in front of and partially obscure the mansion from view. A sprinkler is on and watering the lawn on the right side of the mansion. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1929 was Governor Dan Moody. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Governor's Mansion with screened upper porch
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation, showing the walkway with partial planting bed along it. The upper porch is screened, and the entry steps are concrete with iron railings. A stone birdbath is visible at the mansion's northeast corner. A bench is partially visible under an oak on the left. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1939 was Governor W. Lee O'Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Seaholm Power Plant rear view]
Photograph of the rear view of the Seaholm Power Plant. The river can be seen on the right with the capitol building in the background. The Seaholm Power Plant was constructed in the 1930s and was eventually demolished in the 1960s.
[Aerial View of the Texas State Capitol Building]
Photograph of an aerial view of the Texas State Capitol building and surrounding area.
[Golfers on the green at Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of the green from the trees; man in foreground, five men with clubs in background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Governor's Mansion taken from the front lawn.
[Governor's Mansion Conservatory]
Photograph of the conservatory, also called the family dining room at the Texas Governor's Mansion. It had green walls with white woodwork, marquisette curtains with ball fringe, a rose colored carpet, and early 1900s furniture painted and antiqued in green’, (Blodgett info sheet, TSLA). The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1937 was Democratic Governor James V. Allred. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Governor's Mansion interior hallway with staircase]
Photograph of Interior hallway of the Governor's Mansion with a staircase leading to the second floor. Side tables and seating, governor portraits, flowers, a large gilt mirror and light fixture are visible. Open doorways are visible to two rooms on the right and one room on the left. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1937 was Democratic Governor James V. Allred. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Governor's Mansion Library]
Photograph of interior view of the Governor's Mansion showing the library, looking at fireplace with mirrored over mantel. Through the door on the right the wallpapered entry hall is visible. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1935 was Democratic Governor James V. Allred. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Municipal Golf Course maintenance]
Photograph of sprinklers watering the greens at the Municipal Golf Course in Austin as a tractor mows the rough around it. View of the course from behind the green.
Sam Houston Room in Governor's Mansion
Photograph of interior view of the Sam Houston Room in the Governor's Mansion showing a fireplace on the left and a window on the right. Two vanity dressers with mirrors line the walls and a dark wood table sits in the center of the room. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1937 was Democratic Governor James V. Allred. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building taken from the southeast.
[View of the green from trees on Austin Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of the green on the Austin Municipal Golf Course from the trees with golfers in view. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Playground leaders]
Photograph of a group of playground leaders. Women are seated in the first row, and men are standing in the rear. Beverly Sheffield is identified in the back row, 2nd from right.
Austin - Views from Capitol
View of Austin from the Capitol Building with the Governor's Mansion visible.
[Bryker Woods Elementary School Classroom]
Photograph of a room, possibly a library or study room, at Bryker Woods Elementary School, located at 3309 Kerbey Lane. Several large tables are in the foreground, bookshelves are along the back wall, and a chalkboard is on the wall on the right side.
[First Air Mail Plane]
Loading air mail on first mail plane to leave Robert Mueller Municipal Airport after dedication ceremonies. Adolph Koch, Niles Graham, P.R. James, Raymond Grasty, "Bub" Merrill, Bub's mother, Paul Cruseman, Lynn Hunter, Max Bickler, Bub's Father and others
[Old Austin Power Plant boiler room building]
Photograph of a tilted view of the east facade of a boiler room at the old Austin Power Plant, near the site of the existing Seaholm Power Plant at 800 West Cezar Chavez Street. The concrete building has metal commercial windows and a vent stack is visible to the left of the building. A railroad bridge is visible in the background. Constructed during the 1930s, this building was demolished in the 1960s. A rubber stamp on the verso of the print reads: "BOONE's, FEB 25 1942, Austin, Texas". Boone Photo Company offered both photo finishing and commercial photography services.
[Will Rogers and Governor-elect Dan Moody at Woodlawn]
Photograph of Will Rogers and Texas Governor-elect Dan Moody posing together on "Will Rogers' Horse" at Woodlawn. They are wearing hats and holding guns as part of the post. The horse is in a living room or sitting area, next to a brick fireplace.
Paulissen Bakery and Bybee's Drug
Photograph of Paulissen Bakery & Bybee's Drug located in Austin at 15th & Lavaca streets. Seven delivery trucks are lined up on the curb in front of the warehouse. Truck drivers standing in front of passenger side doors are: (first from left) Felix Danz; (fifth from left) Joe Carriage.
[Power Lines at the Power Plant]
Photograph of power lines on the river side of the Seaholm Power Plant.
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol taken from Congress Avenue. There are automobiles parked along the street. Cooper's Capitol Barber Shop can be seen on the west side of Congress Avenue.
Train bearing Emilio Carranza's body in Austin July 21, 1928
Photograph of a train bearing Emilio Carranza's body as it stops in Austin on its way back to Mexico. From verso: "Emilio Carranza was a famous Mexican 'Ace' who was killed in an accident in New Jersey just after he had taken off for Mexico City where his bride of four months awaited him. His father Sebastian Carranza accompanied the body. At various stops along the way from New York to Mexico, recognition was given the flying ace. In Austin members of state and city governments met the train as well as members of the Chamber of Commerce: Max Bickler, J.A. Nichols, A.D. Bolm, Sam Sparks, Horace Barnhart, John D. Miller, James W. Bass, Lynn Hunter, A.D. Boone, Walter Murray, Martin Andersen, Walter Seaholm, R. Niles Graham, H.H. Luedecke, J. W. Ezelle, and Walter E. Long."
[Austin School Bus with group of students and teachers in front of Austin High School, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of a group of students, teachers and Arthur N. McCallum, superintendent of Austin Public Schools, standing with an Austin School Bus in front of the Austin High School campus at 1202 Rio Grande. McCallum would later have an Austin high school named for him.
Interior of senior high library [at Austin High School]
Photograph of interior of the senior high library at Austin High School from behind the circulation desk. Students fill the wooden tables, five or six per table. Girls sit together, as do boys, with some mixing. Card catalog drawers are on the circulation desk the foreground, as are books stacked and standing. A wall clock wrapped in ivy hangs on the wall above a bust on a mantle above a bricked in fireplace on the rear wall. Sunlight comes in through high windows on both left and right of the image. Double doors indicate the exit at the back of the room on the right. Paint is chipped from tabletop edges at the tables where students are seated in wooden chairs with vertical slats.
Reminiscences of an ex-Confederate soldier : or, Forty years on crutches
A narrative of a soldier's experiences in the Civil War. T.H. Bowman was a soldier in Company A, William Wirt Adams's regiment of Mississippi Cavalry. He fought in Kentucky and Tennessee, and later settled in Texas.
University of Texas old main building and library
Photograph of View of the University of Texas old Main Building and Library. The Old Main Building was constructed in three phases and completed in 1899. It remained the main administrative and library building for 35 years until its destruction in 1934.
School attended by O. Henry
Back of postcard reads: "This is the only school that O. Henry (Wm. Sydney Porter) ever attended. He was taught by his Aunt, Miss Lina Porter, and left this school when he was only fifteen."
"Old Dismal" Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon
Photograph of the Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon and firemen outside of Texas State Capitol building taken from 11th Street and Colorado Street looking east. The Hook and Ladder Wagon is drawn by two horses.
History of the First Baptist Church, Austin, Texas
A history of the First Baptist Church of Austin, Texas.
[Essay “Pease School” by Timothy Alvin Brown]
“Pease School,” an essay by Timothy Alvin Brown, who was the principal of the Austin Independent School District's oldest school, Pease Elementary, from 1892-1933.
Account of the Removal of the Remains of Stephen F. Austin from Peach Point Cemetery in Brazoria County, Texas to State Cemetery, Austin, Texas, October 18 to 20, 1910
This book describes the ceremonies and processes involved in moving Austin's remains and includes the relevant formal decisions by the Texas State Legislature.
[Interior of Austin Atheltic Club with scaffolding before painting]
Photograph of interior view showing the scaffolding used in painting the interior of the Austin Athletic Club building and the condition of building before painting. Volleyball nets stretch across two courts, with empty bleachers visible in background. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
[Texas State Capitol Building During the Second World War]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol Building during the Second World War as seen from the intersection on Congress Avenue and 11th Street. Out front of the Capitol Building are collection bins for scrap metal, specifically aluminum, which feature the slogan "Aluminum for Defense, Let's Go Over the Top."
[Municipal Golf Course tool shed]
Photograph of the front of the Municipal Golf Course tool house with door open. Gravel. sand, and boards are visible on the right exterior under the windows of the tool house. The bottom rungs of a ladder are visible right inside the door of the tool house. Many tire tracks indicate how often the house is visited.
[Street Car Railroad]
Photograph of a street car and street railroad tracks on West 40th Street near Avenue A.
[Beverly S. Sheffield at desk]
Photograph of Beverly Sheffield sitting at his desk. He holds a fountain pen above some papers. Sheffield wears a short-sleeved, button-up shirt and has glasses. A phone sits at his left elbow. His desk sits near a wall with two windows and a radiator. His name plate reads "B. S. Sheffield."
[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]
Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Austin Annual Kite Tournament, 1942
Photograph of a group portrait of participants at the annual kite tournament featuring home made kites of various sizes flown by boys and a few girls. Most kites are decorated with a patriotic theme, in support of the American troops in World War II.
Cleaning Barton Springs
Photograph of two donkeys pulling a man in a cart through the shallow water at Barton Springs pool. From the Walter Long Collection.
[Rosewood Park swimming pool]
Photograph of the empty swimming pool at Rosewood Park for Negroes. The photograph shows the shower in the middle left where swimmers can wash off grass and dirt before entering the pool. The diving board is visible behind the shower indicating this is a photo of the deep end of the pool. A lifeguard sits in the lifeguard chair at the far end of the pool. A swing set is partially visible behind the diving board and a some trees.
[Treaty Oak]
Photograph of Treaty Oak on Baylor Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets in Austin shows the approximately 450-year-old tree's twisting branches and trunk. A low stone wall surrounds the tree, and sun dapples the grass beneath the branches.
[Women sewing]
Photograph of women sewing in a room in the old Pan American Recreation Center on 3rd and Comal Streets. Most women sit at sewing machines while four women crowd together on a bench and sew or embroider by hand. four women stand at a table in the back for cutting fabric A young boy of a bout five sits on footrest in the foreground. There is Mexican art on the walls and the only door to the room is open. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.