Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 39 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion. "The Governor's Mansion after Texas became a state in 1846, and stands today, although much altered and improved. It is still the Governor's Mansion. It was and is located one black SW of the Capitol." is written on back of photograph.
Description: A letter to Juliet Niles from her sister Lucadia Pease, who says that the family has (at least temporarily) decided to call their home "Wood Lawn." Includes typewritten transcription of the letter.
Date: November 9, 1860
Creator: Pease, Lucadia
Item Type: Letter
Primary charge to the Clergy of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Texas : delivered in Christ Church, Houston, on Saturday, May 9th, 1863
Description: Primary charge to the Clergy of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Texas : delivered in Christ Church, Houston, on Saturday, May 9th, 1863 by Bishop of the Diocese, Alexander Gregg.
Creator: Gregg, Alexander
Item Type: Book
Description: Photograph of a crowd of people and horse-drawn carriages gathered around a train on a railroad in a forest. A note on back reads "Mr. Will Todman from England, Time Keeper for Quarries at Llano, Texas. Quarrying granite for consturction of the State Capitol at Austin. 50,000 tones narrow [illegible] R.R. A. & N.W. Near Llano -- before R.R. was finished to an Austin Band was was hired to play -- Group Moore F. [illegible], (Major Ramsdell)."
Description: A draft of a letter to President Andrew Johnson from E.M. Pease, who discusses issues related to the Civil War.
Date: September 4, 1865
Creator: Pease, Elisha Marshall
Item Type: Letter
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion view from across Colorado Street to the northwest, looking at the front (east) and south elevations, showing unpainted brick, people sitting on the front porch, the original staircase, and the original cantilevered balcony. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1866 was Governor James W. Throckmorton. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Description: Photograph of 200 East Sixth Street circa 1866. The man on horse is William Oliphant who owned a jewelry store on Pecan Street in 1852. The child with him is Will Carter. The Missouri House, Michael Ziller residence, is in the background.