Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

University of Texas old main building and library

Description: Photograph of View of the University of Texas old Main Building and Library. The Old Main Building was constructed in three phases and completed in 1899. It remained the main administrative and library building for 35 years until its destruction in 1934.
Date: [1899..1934]
Creator: Bownds, Marlin
Item Type: Photograph

[Temporary Texas Capitol Building Fire]

Description: Photograph of the fire that destroyed the building that had temporarily served as the capitol building for the state of Texas while the new capitol building was being constructed. Firefighters can be seen spraying water in to the upper floors while a large number of spectators look on.
Date: August 30, 1899
Item Type: Photograph

Sewanee vs. [University of] Texas, 1899

Description: Photograph of Texas vs. Sewanee. Bleachers seat from 150 to 300. Clark Field. Spectators (almost entirely men) crowd the bleachers and the sidelines on both sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: November 9, 1899
Item Type: Photograph