Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 238 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of Southeast view of the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
Creator: Marks, H.R.
Description: From the title page: Austin Illustrated. A short resume of the history of the Capital of Texas, together with descriptions of its business, homes, churches, schools, climate, and general environments.
Description: View of Congress Avenue, looking south from Capitol Building. Signs are visible for Maerki's Bakery and Hill & Hill Groceries.
Description: Photograph of a group of men wearing suits standing on the steps of what may be either the Travis County Courthouse or the Travis County Jail. The identified men, including Judge George Calhoun, District Clerk James P. Hart, and Deputy Sheriff Fred Peck, are all Travis County officials, but most of the group are unidentified. One of the the men is African American, and he appears to be the only person not wearing a suit coat. Several of the men are wearing ties -- including bow ties, string ties and neck ties -- and several are wearing vests and have watch chains. The building behind them is made of stone blocks, with rusticated blocks below and ashlar blocks above. There is a door in the center of the photograph, behind the men, and it is flanked by two double-hung sash windows. Inscribed below the image in ink is "Court-House crowd", and the identifications are written in either ink or pencil with arrows pointing to the identified person.
The fiftieth anniversary of the organization of the First Presbyterian Church, Austin, Texas, May 26 and 27th, 1900
Description: A book celebrating the 50th anniversary of the First Presbyterian Church of Austin.
Creator: First Presbyterian Church
[Group of men on horseback, including Sheriff George S. Matthews, in front of Barnes and Company Grocers store]
Description: Photograph of a group of men on horseback in front of Barnes and Company Grocers, including George S. Matthews, who served as Travis County Sheriff from 1902 to 1920. Prior to that Matthews was a deputy sheriff. The men are wearing suits and hats, and some are wearing sashes and ribbons. Horses and buggies are visible behind the men on horseback, just in front of the store. Two women on the store's front porch are wearing long skirts and large hats. The Barnes and Company grocery was a two-story brick building with a two-story front wooden porch, located at 123 West 7th Street at Colorado Street. The railing on the second porch floor has Maltese crosses and Masonic emblems on alternating metal balusters, and a painted wooden slat sign between the floors has a decorative pierced and pointed detail on the bottom side. The painter of the grocery's sign was Philip Bruckmann. The street in front of the store is dirt.
Description: Photograph of Judge Roy Bean's House, the "Law West of the Pecos." Several men sit on the porch and more men are on horseback outside the house. Caption reads "This old relic is located in the little town of Langtry, Texas, which was the abode of Judge Roy Bean--a "Saloon" and also a "Hall of Justice" he being the only peace officer west of the Pecos River, at the time the photo was made, about 1900, and shows Judge Bean holding court, trying a horse-thief. Left of the picture is the stolen horse. On horses, guarded by officers, are two other horse thieves, supposed partners of the one on trial."
Description: General directory for Austin, Texas includes address listings for businesses and individuals as well as advertisements from local businesses. According to the title page, the directory contains "the Present State, County and City Governments, and a Complete List of all Postoffices and Money Order Offices in Texas; Also an Index of Societies, Associations, Churches, Corporations, Educational Institutes; Full Name and Address of all Residents, Their Occupations or Pursuits, and a Complete Classified Business Directory, also a Valuable Street and Avenue Guide." Table of Contents is on page 3 and Index to Advertisements is on page 4.
Creator: Morrison & Fourmy
Description: Photograph of the exterior of the Nimitz Hotel in Fredericksburg. Several Ford cars are parked in front of the building. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads: "One of these Fords could very well be on I traveled in while with the U.S. Rubber Co. I often stopped at the old Hotel, long long ago. [illegible signature]."
Description: Photograph of the recently completed building that housed Austin High School from 1900 to 1925 and the John T. Allan Junior High School from 1925 until it was destroyed by a fire. Note that the photograph is mounted on cardboard backing and written on the back is the name J. E. Pearce.
Description: Photograph of two women wearing long dresses and large hats, two men in suits and hats, a black porter and two conductors (one black and one white) stand near a stationary train. One of the women is standing on the boarding stool at the train door and bending over; she appears to be looking for something. Above her, part of a third woman's body is visible in the door opening. There is a number written in pencil on the lower left corner of the photograph that reads "6009".
Description: Photograph of high, rapid waters of the Colorado River at the site of the former Austin Dam. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
Creator: Hill, S.B.
Description: Pamphlet relating the benefits of Austin.
Creator: Warner, George P.
Description: Photograph of the Supreme Court of Texas around 1900. The photograph was taken in the court chambers and features Chief Justice R.R. Gaines, Associate Justices T.J. Brown and F.A. Williams, Clerk Charles S. Morse, and Deputy F.T. Connerly.
Description: Photograph of Tackle at a UT practice game. Even for a practice game, the spectators fill the bleachers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.