Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 110 Matching Results

Search Results

[Brackenridge Elementary School]

Description: Photograph of Brackenridge Elementary School, located at 319 West Elizabeth Street, a segregated school for Negro children. The building was a one story wooden structure with board and batten exterior walls, 6/6 wood windows, and a plain, square-columned porch entrance. The wooden doors are topped by transom windows. This school for colored children was first listed in the 1909-1910 Austin City Directory, and a school by that name was operating as late as 1965.
Date: 1920~

[Group of Children at Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of First Lady Willie Hobby, seated on the steps of the Governor's Mansion, surrounded by a group of children. Included are Marie Hanna Bernheim; Roy Rather, Jr.; Margaret Soreano Beverly; Kathleen Crawford; Catherine Teten Nash; Mary Watt Avery; Mary Louise Hill Sparks; Virginia Horton Roberdeau; Helen Phinney Avery; George Sparks; and Frances Seybolt Rather.
Date: 1920~
Creator: Gazley Company

[Group Portrait of Men]

Description: Photograph of 23 men in suits. Some men are unidentified, but most of the names are listed on the back (L to R by row). Names includes Cott Alexander, Warren Taylor, George Watkins, Melvin Stones, Ed Mosure, Walter Hanna, August Zeppin, Guy Collette, Max Sxhmitz, Emmett Rose, Guy Ross, M. McSwain, W.H. Richardson, Jr., W.C. Love, Ernest STubbs, O.L. koock, Harry Land, and Frank Caldwell.
Date: 1920
Creator: Jensen Studio

[Six men in front of a "Enfield Special" railroad car at the Southern Pacific station in Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of six men in suits and hats posed in front of a private railroad car in the Austin Southern Pacific terminal at 301 Congress Avenue. A banner hung on the car says: "ENFIELD SPECIAL FROM AUSTIN, TEXAS TO WASHINGTON D.C. VIA S.P. LINES", and the same information was recorded on the bottom of the negative. The depot was constructed in 1902 as the Houston and Texas Central depot, and an addition was added to the east side in 1935.
Date: 1920~

[Two small conjoined pyramid-roofed buildings at the end of a path lined by vegetation next to the fairway at Austin Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of at two small woodframe pyramidal roofed buildings, joined with a hyphen, which sit at the end of a vegetation-lined path next to the fairway at Austin Municipal Golf Course. One building is a board and batten structure with a 4/4 window. There is a large tree to the left of the buildings, and a 1920s-era car to the left of that. A man stands to the right of the buildings near the path or road.
Date: 1920~/1930~

[Congress Avenue]

Description: Photograph of Congress Avenue looking north. Cabaniss Hardware and Dewey Garage are visible at right, as well as cars and some advertisements painted on the buildings. The Capitol is visible in the distance. Streetcar rails are in the center of the road.
Date: January 26, 1920