Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 30 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground.
Description: Photograph of Brackenridge Elementary School, located at 319 West Elizabeth Street, a segregated school for Negro children. The building was a one story wooden structure with board and batten exterior walls, 6/6 wood windows, and a plain, square-columned porch entrance. The wooden doors are topped by transom windows. This school for colored children was first listed in the 1909-1910 Austin City Directory, and a school by that name was operating as late as 1965.
[Six men in front of a "Enfield Special" railroad car at the Southern Pacific station in Austin, Texas]
Description: Photograph of six men in suits and hats posed in front of a private railroad car in the Austin Southern Pacific terminal at 301 Congress Avenue. A banner hung on the car says: "ENFIELD SPECIAL FROM AUSTIN, TEXAS TO WASHINGTON D.C. VIA S.P. LINES", and the same information was recorded on the bottom of the negative. The depot was constructed in 1902 as the Houston and Texas Central depot, and an addition was added to the east side in 1935.
[Two small conjoined pyramid-roofed buildings at the end of a path lined by vegetation next to the fairway at Austin Municipal Golf Course]
Description: Photograph of at two small woodframe pyramidal roofed buildings, joined with a hyphen, which sit at the end of a vegetation-lined path next to the fairway at Austin Municipal Golf Course. One building is a board and batten structure with a 4/4 window. There is a large tree to the left of the buildings, and a 1920s-era car to the left of that. A man stands to the right of the buildings near the path or road.
Description: Photograph of the May 4, 1922 tornado in Austin, Texas, as seen from a rooftop on downtown Congress Avenue. Visible in the foreground are: the Queen Theater at 700 Congress Avenue, the Walter Tips Building at 708-710-712 Congress Avenue, and the F. W. Woolworth & Company at 800-802 Congress Avenue. The side of the Paramount Theater is also visible. There is a painted sign, on a building in the foreground, for Maxwell House Coffee. The tornado is clearly visible in the dark sky to the northwest of downtown. The original of this image is PICA 25989, which has not yet been scanned.
Date: May 4, 1922
Description: Photograph of group of 37 students at Baker Elementary School, the Music Memory Contest Winners 3 times in a row. Mercy Ramsey is 2nd from left in 1st row. Two boys in the front hold a large trophy, the boy on the right has been identified as William Erwin McIntosh.
Description: Photograph of a boys' woodworking class at the Old Red Campus building of the John T. Allan Junior High School, formerly Stephen F. Austin High School. The room is crowded with work stations, where the boys are engaged in making various projects such as wooden stools and picture frames. The rounded masonry wall has arched windows, covered by translucent roller shades for indirect light. There are frames mounted between the windows displaying various tools and examples of metal work. The exposed wood truss ceiling has several belts and pulleys mounted on it. Examples of finished wooden stools stand on a wooden file case to the left in the photograph. Pictured are: Rufus Watterson, Malcolm Williams, Willie Earnest, Durwell Johnson, Sid Colquitt, Vincent Murray, Windom Burke, Louis Blenderman, Ernest Von Rosenberg, Harry Hafer, Henry Murray, Homer Wedig, ____ Yates, Francis Patton, Henry Paggi, ____ Brady. The teacher is Mr. N. S. Hunsdon. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front and north elevations. It has a screen porch with steps. The front lawn is covered in snow. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion here was occupied by first female Texas governor Miriam A. Ferguson in 1925. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Description: Photograph of children playing on and around the Treaty Oak branches on May Day ca. 1925. Three girls sit and stand on the oak's low branches. A fourth girl looks on with a young boy and their caretaker. Everyone is dressed in white. The lawn is littered with children's chairs and various outdoor equipment.
Description: Photograph of Old Main Building at UT featuring vine growth on building. A number of students and faculty walk on the sidewalks and lounge on the grass in front of and on the sides of the lawn. Architect F. E. Ruffini of Austin designed this building in the Victorian-Gothic style. The structure was built in three stages: the west wing was completed in 1883 for The University’s first class of 221 students; the central section in 1891; and finally the east wing in 1899. Old Main featured wide corridors, high rotundas, a 2,000 seat grand auditorium, a library, a chapel, 9 spacious lecture halls, 30 classrooms, and even a dressing room for the ladies’ cloaks and bonnets. The Girl's Study Hall was furnished with wicker rocking chairs. In 1932, a mere 35 year after the building was completed, the University announced the raising of Old Main in favor of building a new administration-library building, much to the protests of faculty, students, and residents of Austin.
Description: Photograph of a man wearing glasses is looking at a book whlie sitting at a table inside the Carver Branch Library. It is a wide view of the room and there are a couple of children checking out books in the background.
Creator: University Studio
Description: Photograph of Guadalupe Street taken from the west approximately where the present-day "The Drag" is located. A street car is in motion along the street. Texas Bookstore, University Co-Op and Roach Brothers pharmacy are on the west side of Guadalupe Street.
Date: April 17, 1927