Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 54 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of Guadalupe Street, also known as "the Drag," at 24th Street, looking south. The view includes the Varsity Theater in foreground on the right, and an oblique view of the U. T. campus in the background on the left. Just past the intersection is a pickup truck stopped in the street, and three men wearing hats appear to be repairing a hole in the road next to the pickup. The back of a highway sign, for Texas highways 79, 81, and 183, faces south on the northbound side of the road. There are raised medians on Guadalupe near the intersection. Commercial signs for Lou's Cafe and Chenards Music Store are visible on the west side of Guadalupe, and a number of automobiles are parked on the street.
Description: Photograph of a large group of female tennis players standing at equal distances apart on both sides of both tennis courts. All players carry rackets and look toward the spectators in the stands.
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Description: Photograph of an aerial view of all six tennis courts, spectator stands, and parking at the Caswell Tennis Center on Shoal Creek at 24th and N. Lamar. Two men's doubles matches are visible in the back two courts. Spectators crowd in the shade under the awning. Residential neighborhoods are visible behind the tennis courts in the background.
Date: June 20, 1950
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Description: Photograph of three women and five children pose for a photo. One boy wears a Halloween mask he likely made himself. Another mischevious boy lands a kick to another boy's hip. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: October 31, 1950
Creator: Parks and Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Description: Photograph of the lake side view of the Seaholm Power Plant Intake facility. The Art Deco concrete facility was designed by Burns & McDonnell Engineering Company and was built in two phases in 1950 and 1955 by Odom Construction Company. The facility operated as a power plant until 1989 and was finally decommissioned in 1996 by the city of Austin. The intake facility is located on the shores of Lady Bird Lake and the Ann and Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail.
Date: December 1, 1950
Creator: City of Austin
Description: Photograph of the interior of Austin's Seaholm Power Plant. Caption reads "Looking west, L-R: steam turbines, generators, exciters; front to back: 20,000 kilowatt generators; 20,000 kilowatt generators; 20,000 kilowatt generators; 40,000 kilowatt generators." Though the caption indicates this is looking west, the placement of the windows suggests this is actually looking east.
Date: [1951, 1955]
Description: Photograph of men moving a large piece of machinery into Seaholm Power Plant near Town Lake. A large crane hook is supporting the machinery part with four massive cables. The cylindrical component is sitting on a track which is moving through a trench into the plant. Three workers check the cables from on top of the cylinder, and several other men monitor the progress from the ground. The Seaholm Power Plant was designed by Burns & McDonell Engineering Co. and built in two phases by Odom Construction company in 1950 and 1955 at 800 West Cesar Chavez St in Austin, Texas. The plant was dedicated posthumously to Walter E. Seaholm in recognition of his 33-year service to the city of Austin as Superintendent of Water and Light and City Manager. The plant operated as a power source until 1989. The city of Austin authorized the decommissioning of the plant in 1996. In 2000 the city commissioned a District Master Plan for the site, and in 2008 it approved a plan by Seaholm Power Development, LLC to repurpose the buildings into retail, residential, and outdoor spaces.
Date: January 6, 1951
Description: Photograph of several men erecting a telephone or power pole in the Crestview neighborhood of Austin. The men are wearing hats and one appears to be wearing a short-sleeved Hawaiian shirt. A small crane is visible on the right side of the image. In the background to the left, there is a sign which reads: "CRESTVIEW LARGE LOTS, $595, TERMS, A. B. Beddow, REALTOR, 7106 WOODROW AVE. - PHO._-7631". Several structures are visible in the background, which appear to be part of the old Richcreek Dairy Farm where the Crestview neighborhood was constructed. A. B. Beddow and the Austin Development Corporation were the developers of the neighborhood which was built up between the late 1940s to the mid 1960s. The neighborhood is bordered by Wooten neighborhood and Anderson Lane to the North, Allandale neighborhood and Burnet Road to the West, Brentwood neighborhood and Justin Lane to the South, and the Highland neighborhood and North Lamar Boulevard to the East.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion taken of front of the mansion from the walkway. The upper porch is screened. The seven steps leading to the front door are concrete with white iron railings winging down and outwards. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1954 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Texas Highway Department
Description: Photograph of Frank Albrecht looking through a trash can of sporting equipment at the Austin Athletic Club. Large light fixtures, boxes, equipment bags, and other debrs is piled around him. A vending machine is visible on the left behind the open glass sliding doors. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Description: Photograph of Franch Albrecht putting a volleyball onto a top shelf in an activities closet at the Austin Athletic Club (renamed Austin Recreation Center in 1970). Various other items for activities are on the shelves such as checkers and ping-pong balls, as well as other supplies such as water sprinklers, paint, and electrical supplies. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and south elevation showing the grounds and walkway, the stairs of which are bisected by a sidewalk. The upper porch is screened and partially obscured by a tree on the front lawn. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1955 was Governor Alan Shivers. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Boone Photo