Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 95 Matching Results

Search Results

[AWPGLA at Muny]
Group portrait of ladies from the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association. They hold a poster reading "Light up with Jax."
AWPLGA at Muny
Group portrait of golfers from AWPLGA, the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association, drinking Jax beer. The stand outside under some strands of lights. A small truck is in the foreground.
[L.C. Anderson High School class of 1960]
Photograph of Anderson High School graduating class of 1960. The school was originally named E. H. Anderson and later renamed L. C. Anderson. The school, located at 900 Thompson Street, was Austin's all-black high school for many years until students were integrated following desegregation.
[Construction of Austin Municipal Airport]
Photograph of an aerial view of construction of the Austin Municipal Airport. The runways, control tower, two hangars, and several other buildings are visible. Cars are parked in the parking lot. In the foreground is a 4-lane divided highway and there are houses in the background.
[Construction of the control tower at Mueller Municipal Airport in Austin, Texas]
Photograph of the aircraft control tower under construction at Mueller Municipal Airport. There is scaffolding around the concrete interior support structure, and board formwork is in place for pouring a flared level near the top of the tower. In front of the tower, the scalloped metal terminal roof is under construction, and there are several wooden construction shacks in foreground.
[Lobby and registration desk at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel]
Photograph of the front desk and a portion of the lobby at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel, located at 701 Congress Avenue in Austin. The registration area is made of wood, trimmed in a darker wood, and there are rows of key or letter boxes behind the desk. A rack filled with brochures sits on the desk. A large circular chandelier with shaded lamps hangs from the recessed lobby ceiling, just in front of the registration desk. Wooden, upholstered arm chairs sit in front of square columns on either side of the chandelier.
[Ribbon Cutting for Municipal Airport]
Photograph of Lyndon B. Johnson, Austin Mayor Lester Palmer, and others cutting the ribbon on stage at the dedication of the municipal airport. Palmer stands at the podium and Johnson is on the far right.
The Zilker Zephyr
Photograph of children and parents riding the Zilker Zephyr miniature train through Zilker Park. Downtown Austin and the Capitol building are visible in the background.
[Carver Branch Library]
Photograph of exterior view of the Carver Branch Library, later part of the Carver Museum. Two trees in front of the building are bare of leaves.
[Rosewood playground pageant, August 1960]
Photograph of the Rosewood Playground Pageant at Rosewood Park. In this performance, two actors sit next to each other on folding chairs before a painted cityscape background. The male actor holds his arms apart and looks at the female actress as if he is showing her something. Lights are strung above the actors in the outdoor stage area. Three boys in the foreground watch the play. A woman sits at a piano on the far right.
[Aerial View of Municipal Airport]
Photograph of an aerial view of construction of the municipal airport. The terminal building is surrounded by dirt fields.
[Girl Crazy performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of a scene from the musical comedy "Girl Crazy" performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater. Cast of men and women perfom on an outdoor plaza set.
[Girl Crazy performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of a scene from the musical comedy "Girl Crazy" performed at the Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. Cast members perform on a western-themed set.
[View of Congress Avenue to Capitol]
Photograph of a view north up Congress Avenue to the Capitol building.
Pan American Citizenship Class
Photograph of ten elderly women and three men sit around a table at the Pan American Recreation Center for a United States citizenship class. A double sink and cupboards are in the background. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the front entrance of the Texas Governor's mansion.
"Sweetheart" Pan American Invitational Softball Tournament
Photograph of Pan American Recreation Center's "Sweetheart" for their Invitational Softball Tournament with the trophies. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Center
Photograph of inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Club with tables of both singles and doubles playing on the interior basketball courts. The bleachers are full of women and children watching. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
[The Austin Ballet Society at the Municipal Airport]
Photograph of members of the Austin Ballet Society posing on stairs in front of the Mueller Austin Municipal Airport, with the control tower in the background.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion, east elevation. The building is two stories, with Ionic-style columns that run the length; there is a porch on each floor and the upper porch has intact framing, though the screens have been removed. A dark downspout is visible on the north elevation. Aluminum fencing is visible behind the mansion and several young trees are on the lawn.
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building in the late 1890s or early 1900s taken from the balcony at 1006 Congress Avenue.
[Wildcat Orchestra at Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of Photograph of the orchestra from a summer musical "Wildcat" performed on stage at the open-air Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. The orchestra sits on a raised platform while spectators sit on the ground surrounding.
[Wildcat performed on stage at Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of a scene from a summer musical "Wildcat" performed on stage at the open-air Zilker Hillside Theater. Cast of men and women perform on stage and two actors climb a tower set.
[Austin Municipal Airport]
Distant view of the municipal airport parking lot and terminal with air control tower in background.
[Map of Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of map of municipal golf course. Writing on the back of the photo reads: "Architect's map of golf course #3, Morris Williams Golf Course (as of May 1963) Leon Howard, Arch."
[Performance at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of two actors perform on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. They wear rumpled suits and a bridge set piece is visible behind the actors.
[Performance at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of actors performing a song while extras look on in the background at Zilker Hillside Theater in Zilker Park in Austin.
[Performance at Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of a cast of actors performing on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. The actors are positioned around the stage and on the bridge set piece.
[Interior of St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of the interior sanctuary of St. David's Episcopal Church, taken from the altar. There are large windows, a vaulted ceiling, and rows of pews in the photo.
[Sanctuary of St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of the interior sanctuary of St. David's Episcopal Church looking towards the altar. There are large windows, a vaulted ceiling, rows of pews, and a view of the altar in the photo.
Holly Street Power Station
Two men in the control room of the Holly Street Power Plant, Austin, Texas.
[Brigadoon performance at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of the cast of actors performing Brigadoon as the summer drama at the Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion at 1010 Colorado Street.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the entrance to the Texas Governor's Mansion at 1010 Colorado Street.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Governor's Mansion taken from "Souvenir of Austin" (1906).
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the exterior of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the front lawn.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the exterior of the Texas Governor's mansion with limousine underneath attached carport.
Trio Los Amigos
Photograph of a trio of Mexican mariachi musicians at the Pan American Recreation Center. The mariachi wear sombreros and patterned panchos. The two mariachi on the right and left play guitarrĂ³ns while the middle mariachi plays the Mexican vihuela. The mariachi mouths are open in mid-song. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
[19th Street Looking West]
Photograph of 19th Street (now Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.) looking west from about Trinity. Buildings line the left side of the street and construction vehicles and workers are on the right side.
[St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of St. David's Episcopal Church. A few cars are parked on the street alongside it.
[St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of the exterior of St. David's Episcopal Church taken from across the street at the intersection of San Jacinto and East 7th.
Saengerrunde Halle and Scholz Garten
Photograph of Saengerrunde Halle and Scholz Garten beer garden at 1607 San Jacinto.
["Oklahoma!" Cast Members]
Photograph of several cast members of Zilker Hillside Theatre's "Oklahoma!" posing in costume in a surrey. Written on back of photo: "Norman Eaton (Curley), Shaaron Melcher (Laurey), Camille Tracy (Aunt Eller)."
Saengerrunde Halle and Scholz Garten
Photograph of Saengerrunde Halle amd Scholz Garten beer garden at 1607 San Jacinto.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the exterior of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the front lawn.
[Fiskville Stage Stop]
Photograph of Fiskville stage railroad stop being demolished. It was located at North Lamar at the south side of the creek by Payton Gin Road. It was the first stop north of Austin.
Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association at Municipal Golf Course
Photograph of Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and spectators at start of drive.The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and family at Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a family of four featuring an AWPLGA golfer, her husband, son, and daughter, on fairway during an AWPLGA tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]
Photograph of a woman golfer in view between tree branches at the AWPLGA tournament at Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer swinging at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]
Photograph of a golfer swinging on a drive at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.