Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association at Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and spectators at start of drive.The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and family at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a family of four featuring an AWPLGA golfer, her husband, son, and daughter, on fairway during an AWPLGA tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a woman golfer in view between tree branches at the AWPLGA tournament at Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer swinging at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a golfer swinging on a drive at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of four golfers standing on the green at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association trophy at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a trophy awarded at the AWPLGA tournamen at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators are visible in the background. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Item Type: Photograph

[Awards at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a woman being presented with a trophy on green at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators stand to the right. A man operates a camera in the bed of a truck on the left. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Item Type: Photograph

[Railroad tracks near Austin]

Description: Photograph of International and Great Northern railroad tracks outside of Austin. On the tracks in the distance can be seen the switch, and in the far distance, the city watertower is visible. Telephone poles and brush are dominant, though some houses and fences indicating residences are visible.
Date: July 22, 1966
Creator: City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Pan American Recreation Center flag football

Description: Photograph of children, aged about 10-13 play flag football at the Pan Am Recreation Center. A few boys have jerseys that say "Pan Am Aces" on the front; the rest play in plain clothes. A boy in the foreground raises a cup and looks at the camera. The boy next to him leans forward, ready to catch a pass thrown by a boy in sunglasses. Other children stand around casually. The game is not in full-play. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 1966
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Pan American Recreation Center Library

Description: Photograph of children in the stacks at the Pan Am Rec Center library. The shelves are packed with books. Two girls reach for books on shelves within reach. A third boy stands on a child's chair for reach. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 1966
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Pan American Recreation Center Library

Description: Photograph of children reading at the Pan Am Rec Center library. Three children sit at a child's table with books covering the tabletop in front of them. Older children browse books from a shelf in the back. An adult looks on. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 1966
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Pan American Tiny Tot Christmas party]

Description: Photograph of Santa Claus visiting the children at the Pan American Recreation Center Tiny Tot Christmas party. A girl sits on Santa's lap while the rest of the children wait and watch from tables around the room. They wear paper reindeer hats and have candy canes. Christmas decorations include Santa's sleigh with three reindeer on the far wall.
Date: December 1966
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph