Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 770 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of the 2nd capitol building for the state of Texas. There is a attached to the bottom right hand corner of the photograph a label that reads "The 2nd State Capital [sic]. Located on the site of the present Capital [sic], Burned in 1881." The land in front of the building is terraced and a pathway extends from the entrance down the terraces.
Date: [1853, 1881]
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion. "The Governor's Mansion after Texas became a state in 1846, and stands today, although much altered and improved. It is still the Governor's Mansion. It was and is located one black SW of the Capitol." is written on back of photograph.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion view from across Colorado Street to the northwest, looking at the front (east) and south elevations, showing unpainted brick, people sitting on the front porch, the original staircase, and the original cantilevered balcony. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1866 was Governor James W. Throckmorton. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Description: Photograph of 200 East Sixth Street circa 1866. The man on horse is William Oliphant who owned a jewelry store on Pecan Street in 1852. The child with him is Will Carter. The Missouri House, Michael Ziller residence, is in the background.
Description: Photograph of Texas Governor's Mansion front and south elevation, unpainted brick, with fence and grounds. The upper balcony is not connected to the columns. Built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1870 is Governor Edmund J. Davis. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.
Description: Photograph of the front view of a steam train paused on the Waller Creek bridge in Austin. Buildings can be seen on both the right and left hand side of the bridge. There are passengers visible on the platform to the left of the train. On the back of the photograph there is a note that reads "With a little steam left this forerunner of a soon-to-be speeding civilization has stopped on the little Waller Creek bridge in Austin to let the passengers from Houston and other points out a the Depot House, Christmas day, 1871." Also on the back there is a note that reads "504 E 5th(?) Houston & Texas Central."
Date: December 25, 1871
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the site of the old Capitol building looking at the West and north elevations of the Governor's Manstion, grounds, street, barn and picket fence. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1874 was Governor Richard Coke. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.