Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion view from across Colorado Street to the northwest, looking at the front (east) and south elevations, showing unpainted brick, people sitting on the front porch, the original staircase, and the original cantilevered balcony.
Date: 1866
Location Info:

Pecan Street Looking East from Oliphant's Photo Gallery

Description: Photograph of East Pecan Street (now 6th street) with William Oliphant (who had a jewelry store on Pecan Street in 1852) on a horse. The child next to the horse is Will Carter. A building in the background is visible and has "Missouri House" painted on the side. It was the residence of Michael Ziller. A sign also hangs from the second floor balcony of the house reading "Austin Motel." Also visible in the background is England & Hannig Cabinet Makers.
Date: November 1866
Creator: Oliphant, W.J.

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of Texas Governor's Mansion front and south elevation, unpainted brick, with fence and grounds. The upper balcony is not connected to the columns. Built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1870 is Governor Edmund J. Davis. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1870

[Train on Waller Creek Bridge]

Description: Photograph of the front view of a steam train paused on the Waller Creek bridge in Austin. Buildings can be seen on both the right and left hand side of the bridge. There are passengers visible on the platform to the left of the train. On the back of the photograph there is a note that reads "With a little steam left this forerunner of a soon-to-be speeding civilization has stopped on the little Waller Creek bridge in Austin to let the passengers from Houston and other points out a the Depot House, Christmas day, 1871." Also on the back there is a note that reads "504 E 5th(?) Houston & Texas Central."
Date: December 25, 1871

[Governor's Mansion view from the old Capitol building]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the site of the old Capitol building looking at the West and north elevations of the Governor's Manstion, grounds, street, barn and picket fence. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1874 was Governor Richard Coke. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1874

Governor's Mansion, Austin

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the southeast showing dark columns, white picket fence out front, and wild grounds. Windows on the south side and front upper porch of the mansion are shuttered. Photographed from behind the white picket fence, which is visible in the immediate right foreground. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1880 was Governor Oran M. Roberts. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1880
Creator: Hill, S.B.

[Sixth Street]

Description: Photograph of Sixth Street in Austin. Buildings are visible on either side, and streetcar tracks are in the road. A few horse-drawn carriages are in the road. A sign is visible for L.W. Culver Furniture. A tall electric pol is on the right side.
Date: [1880, 1900]

[Austin City Administration, 1881]

Description: Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century.
Date: 1881