Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 21 - 44 of 747 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the site of the old Capitol building looking at the West and north elevations of the Governor's Manstion, grounds, street, barn and picket fence. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1874 was Governor Richard Coke. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the southeast showing dark columns, white picket fence out front, and wild grounds. Windows on the south side and front upper porch of the mansion are shuttered. Photographed from behind the white picket fence, which is visible in the immediate right foreground. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1880 was Governor Oran M. Roberts. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Hill, S.B.
Description: Photograph of Sixth Street in Austin. Buildings are visible on either side, and streetcar tracks are in the road. A few horse-drawn carriages are in the road. A sign is visible for L.W. Culver Furniture. A tall electric pol is on the right side.
Date: [1880, 1900]
Description: Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century.
Description: Photograph of a group of women sitting out front of the D.E. Hall of Domestic Economy. These women were associated with the Young Women's Christian Association as indicated by notes on the back of the photograph. Stamped on one of the boards of the school is [CALC]ASIEU LUMBER referring to Calcasieu Lumber Company which was established in Austin,Texas in the early 1880s.
Date: [1885, 1920]
Description: Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885.
Description: Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor John Ireland. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Description: Photograph of the 1887 graduating class of Austin High School. Front row (left to right): Pearl Caswell, Nannie Kelley, Florence Collins, Lucille James. Middle row (left to right): Eliza Mitchell, J. H. Bryant (professor), Minnie Sykes. Back row standing (left to right): unidentified woman, Mila Morris, Janie Maxwell, unidentified woman, Eve Sadler, Gertrude Whitis, Helen Grant, and William Gorden.