Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[City of Austin Takes Municipal Golf Course Deed]

Description: Photograph of Guiton Morgan, City Manager, (at left) accepting deed from John H. Tobin of Austin Lions Club. Tobin was club president 1919-1920. The city of Austin took over the Municipal Golf Course on April 1, 1937.
Date: April 1, 1937
Creator: Identification Bureau, Austin Police Department
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin Skyline]

Description: Photograph of the Austin skyline taken from the top of the Light Plant.
Date: October 11, 1937
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Item Type: Photograph

[Old City Hall]

Description: Photograph of the Old City Hall building.
Date: October 11, 1937
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Item Type: Photograph

Club house at Municipal Golf Course [in snow]

Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course Club House entrance covered in snow. Wooden chairs and a bench sit on the concrete patio to the left of the double screen door entrance. Two large bushes flank the walkway. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: November 1, 1937
Item Type: Photograph

East Avenue

Description: Photograph of East Avenue looking south from Lookout after a recent snowfall.
Date: November 1937
Item Type: Photograph

Montopolis Bridge

Description: View of the Montopolis Bridge across the Colorado River. It is a steel truss bridge. Though dated 1886 in the photo, the bridge was not built until 1937-1938.
Date: [1938..]
Item Type: Photograph

[Children swimming at Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of a group of African-American children swimming and splashing at the Rosewood Park for Negroes swimming pool. Extensive use of swimming pool and facilities demonstrates success of this recreation center.
Date: August 19, 1938
Creator: Ellison Photo Service
Item Type: Photograph

Rosewood Park for Negroes

Description: Photograph of a group of black children watching a youth prepare to dive from the diving board into the public pool at Rosewood Park.
Date: September 8, 1938
Creator: Ellison Photo Service, Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Front entry of Governor's Mansion from grounds]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and south elevation showing the entry and grounds. Trees are in front of and partially obscure the upper screened porch of the mansion. The concrete stairs leading to the front porch have one metal handrail on the right. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1939 was Governor W. Lee O'Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1939
Creator: Sheilds, Marian
Item Type: Photograph

[Governor's Mansion dining room]

Description: Photograph of interior view of the Governor's Mansion showing state dining room, with fireplace, dining table with roses, crystalware cabinet, painted screen, high windows, and Zuber wallpaper. A doorway opens to a larger dining room. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1939 was Democratic Governor W. Lee O'Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1939
Item Type: Photograph

[Governor's Mansion with screened upper porch

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation, showing the walkway with partial planting bed along it. The upper porch is screened, and the entry steps are concrete with iron railings. A stone birdbath is visible at the mansion's northeast corner. A bench is partially visible under an oak on the left. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1939 was Governor W. Lee O'Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: January 1, 1939
Creator: Boone Photo
Item Type: Photograph

[Construction of] Municipal Golf Course tool house

Description: Photograph of construction of the Austin Municipal Golf Course tool house, made of white bricks. Scaffolding circles the walls, and the support for the roof is visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and then donated to the city in 1936, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: April 8, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Construction of the Municipal Golf Course tool house]

Description: Photograph of construction workers work on building the tool house at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. A ladder leans on a scaffolding leading to the roof. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: April 8, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin Municipal Golf Course] caretaker's house

Description: Photograph of the caretaker's house at the Austin municipal golf course. The house is made of white brick with several screened windows and a screen door facing a concrete patio. A wooden ladder leans on the side of the house to the roof. Construction debris litters the grassless yard. A shed sits behind the house. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 14, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph