Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 1,017 Matching Results

Search Results

[Construction of the Capitol Building]
Photograph of the construction of the State Capitol Building, looking at the east side of the building. The base of the building is largely complete and scaffolding is in place to build the dome.
Convict Laborers Shaping Columns
Photograph of "Convict laborers shaping columns and loading flat cars near a Marble Falls,Texas quarry." The stones were used for construction of the Texas state Capitol building.
D.E. Hall School of Domestic Economy
Photograph of a group of women sitting out front of the D.E. Hall of Domestic Economy. These women were associated with the Young Women's Christian Association as indicated by notes on the back of the photograph. Stamped on one of the boards of the school is [CALC]ASIEU LUMBER referring to Calcasieu Lumber Company which was established in Austin,Texas in the early 1880s.
Scene at Granite Mountain
Photograph of a scene at Granite Mountain where stone was cut for the Texas State Capitol building.
[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]
Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885.
[Capitol Cornerstone Dedication]
Photograph of a crowd of people gathered for the cornerstone dedication during the construction of the state Capitol. Some onlookers can be seen sitting and standing on top of the derricks used for the construction.
[Capitol Construction]
Photograph of a close up view of the construction of the Capitol building. A man stands on top of a high wall while a few other men on scaffolding guide a pillar, attached to a crane, into place.
Cutstone yard, Burnet, Texas
View of the cut stone yard in Burnet, Texas. The stones were used to construct the Texas state Capitol building.
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor John Ireland. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
New Capitol Building, July, 1886
Photograph of workers posing for a group portrait during construction of the new capitol building. Writing on the back of the photograph reads: "Hans Falkenburg - sitting on stone (center, with hat)."
1887 Graduating class of Austin High School
Photograph of the 1887 graduating class of Austin High School. Front row (left to right): Pearl Caswell, Nannie Kelley, Florence Collins, Lucille James. Middle row (left to right): Eliza Mitchell, J. H. Bryant (professor), Minnie Sykes. Back row standing (left to right): unidentified woman, Mila Morris, Janie Maxwell, unidentified woman, Eve Sadler, Gertrude Whitis, Helen Grant, and William Gorden.
Birds Eye Map of Austin
Birds eye map of Austin showing downtown, the river, and the University of Texas main building.
[Capitol Construction]
Photograph of construction of the state capitol building. The main building is mostly complete while construction of the dome is just beginning.
[Construction of Capitol Building]
Photograph of exterior view of the front of the Capitol building during construction. The contractor's office is visible in the lower right of the photograph.
Pecan Street
Photograph of Pecan Street (now 6th Street), looking east. The first building on the left is Frank Ragio's store.
Austin Baseball Club
Photograph of members of the Austin Baseball Club. There are eleven men arranged in a diamond formation with there names and position listed.
[Construction of Capitol Dome]
Photograph of the unfinished Capitol dome. Scaffolding is in place and the stonework for the base of the dome is complete.
[Exterior of Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of a northwest view of the exterior corner of the Driskill Hotel.
[Exterior of Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of a corner view of the Driskill Hotel taken from the southeast corner of 6th Sreet and Brazos.
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor Lawrence Sullivan Ross. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Texas Comptroller's Office]
Photograph of the state of Texas' Comptroller's office when it was still inside of the state capitol building. Seven of the office's employees are in the photograph.
[Cavalry Troops Marching in Texas Capitol Building Dedication Parade]
Photograph of the parade for the dedication of the Texas State Capitol building. This particular photograph features cavalry troops (Interstate drill) marching down Congress Avenue. Crowds of spectators are standing watching on either side of the street. Many flags are on display.
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building taken from the south. The words "Souvenir May 1888" appear in the bottom center of the photograph.
[Anderson High School students]
Photograph of Anderson High School students lined up outside the schoolhouse which is either at Olive and Curve Streets or at Pennsylvania Street (currently Kealing Middle school). This class is composed of mostly female African American students.
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building.
[View of Southest Austin]
Photograph of Southeast Austin, with Congress Avenue extending down the right side of the frame and the Colorado River in the background. The caption on the back reads: "View of southeast Austin taken from Capitol Dome, showing Driskill Hotel, St. Mary's Convent, Old Catholic Church, Methodist Church opposite (now Labor Temple), Old Jail and Jailer's residence in immediate foreground. Photographed by Charles B. Wheelock, Boston, Mass sometime between the years 1889 and 1894."
[Austin White Lime Company]
Photograph of the exterior of Austin White Lime Company. There is a man walking in front of the building and there are lime kilns in the background.
[Bar at Scholz Beer Garten]
Photograph of four employees of Scholz Beer Garten standing behind the bar.
Brick laying crew, West Sixth Street, looking West
Photograph of the railroad crew laying bricks around rail lines on West 6th street looking west. Trolly and telegraph wires cross heavily overhead. A large sign on a building behind the crew reads "Phoenix Saloon / Ice Cold Lager Beer / Wines Liquor." A penciled caption in the lower left reads "Some Texas / sunshine."
[East track concreted]
Photograph of the concrete team working on the east railroad track on Congress Avenue, looking toward the Capitol. The crews are working hard in the background while horses and carts line up to visit the clothing and shoe shops that line the road. Signs are visible for Carl Mayer Jeweler, Wright & Robinson, Mens Outfitters, Emil Risse art photographer, a commercial college and a laundry. A trolley car is visible in the distance.
[Impact at uknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of low angle shot of an impact at an uknown game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless. Even at this close range, it is difficult to determine which players belong to which team. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
[Kickoff of unkown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of kickoff of an unknown football game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless, and a crowd watches while standing across the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
[Lobby of First National Bank, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of the lobby of First National Bank, including the bank teller window behind a grill. William Sydney Porter (O. Henry) is the teller. Another man stands behind the front counter, one is seated in back, and a customer is at the teller window. The man behind the open counter is listed as Brackenridge.
[Pease Elementary School Students]
Photograph of high 1st & low 2nd students at West Austin School (Pease Elementary). Ellen (Helen) Paggi is on the back row, extreme right.
[Rail crew on East Sixth Street looking West]
Photograph of African-American workers laying down rail line on one side of East 6th Street. Pedestrians look on from beneath the shop awnings. Shop signs for a candy store, millinery and a druggist are visible. Crop lines are drawn on the original print and appear in this image.
[Railroad crew digging]
Photograph of a crew of African-Americans digging a ditch where the second railroad line will lie. They use shovels and pickaxes in front of a row of shops including C.B. Moreland Wall Paper store and the Postal Telegraph service.
[Railroad crew working on second track]
Photograph of an African-American railroad crew working on a second rail road line in front of a row of hardware and home goods shops. The trenches have been dug and the brick stripped out from the roads where the rail lines will lie.
[Santa Monica Springs of the Colorado River]
Photograph of people sitting around and wading in Santa Monica Springs of the Colorado River in 1890.
[Smelting crew joining rail ties]
Photograph of the smelting crew pouring white hot liquid metal over rails as they install a railroad line in the street. Two men grip the bucket handles and tilt them and the bucket so that a third man can push the molten metal out, joining the rails together. The heads and faces of the men are not visible.
Special work, Sixth Street and Congress Avenue looking North
Photograph of a crew of African-American workers hard at work on the railroad intersections at 6th Street and Congress Avenue while foremen and others look on. Shops along the west side of the street are visible, including a dentist, shoe store, book store, and clothing store.
[Tackle at unknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of Tackle at an uknown game at Clark Field. Coaches, referees, and players look on from the field and sidelines. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
[Three University of Texas at Austin football players]
Photograph of three University of Texas football plays standing tall. Uniforms consist of striped swaters with "UT" written on the breast; quilted pants, striped socks, and laced leather ankle boots. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Tracks concreted, concrete crew in distance, Congress Avenue looking South
Photograph of the newly concreted railroad tracks on Congress Avenue looking south. The concrete crew is working on the tracks in the distance. Horses and carts are visible near in front of the shops, including Condit Davis & Fink and a bakery in the foreground.
[Unknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of an unknown game at Clark Field shows players piling on each other right before a tackle while officials look on. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
[Unkown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of a tackle at an unknown game at Clark Field. Players at this time did not wear helmets of protective padding. They wear no numbers or jerseys. The photographer's shadow is visible in the bottom of the image. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
W. T. Wroe Leather Factory
Photograph of W. T. Wroe's leather factory located at 421-423 Congress Avenue. At center with mustache: Arthur (Otto?) Soebeck. 2nd from right: John Weber, shop foreman. Behind Soebeck in black sweater: M. O. Rhody.
[People in Boat on Colorado River]
Photograph of three women and two nicely dressed men in a boat at Mormon Falls on the Colorado River with Mt. Bonnell in the background.
[Exterior of Decker Methodist Church]
Photograph of the front exterior of Decker Methodist Church circa 1892. The church was built in 1879 and was moved in 1901. There is a large group standing in front of the church. Among those present are Reverend August Wallin, S.A. Lundell (grandfather of Mrs. Simon Swahn who was Hilma Johnson) and his brother Gustav Lundell, L.P. Swahn (father of Simon Swahn)and his brother C.J. Swahn, and F.G. Swenson.
[Texas German and English Academy]
Group portrait in front of the Texas German And English Academy, later Bickler School. The school was located at 208 West 14th Street. There is an inscription on the back of the photograph that reads "On June 12, 1881, I was born in the south west upstairs bedroom. This building is located at 208 W. 14th St. Mah H. Bickler."
[40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park ]
Photograph of the site of 40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park, taken before Avenue G was built.