Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Crestview Minimax Food Mart

Description: View of storefront and parking lot. Crestview Minimax Food Mart at 7108 Woodrow Avenue. Also visible is A.B. Beddow Real Estate and Insurance Office.
Date: August 15, 1956
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Factory Outlet Shoes

Description: Exterior of Factory Outlet Shoe Co., owned by Syd Meyers, 608 Congress Ave.
Date: August 18, 1956
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

So-Lo Dept. Store

Description: Exterior shot of So-Lo Dept. Store, managed by Maynard J Wizig, 501 E 6th St.
Date: August 18, 1956
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Interiors of Commodore Perry Hotel

Description: Interior view of pool area in the Commodore Perry Hotel, with chairs and tables. 3 women in bathing suits at side of pool, 1 woman on diving board, 1 woman standing next to board in street clothes.
Date: August 20, 1956
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Chenard's Women's Clothing Store

Description: Exterior view of display windows at the new Chenard's Women's Clothing Store, which was located at 2338 Guadalupe. It later became Snyder-Chenard's.
Date: August 22, 1956
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Opening of Pan American Recreation Center

Description: Photograph of the side of the newly built Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. Swing sets are behind the building. The previous Pan Am Rec Center existed at 3rd and Comal Streets. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Opening of the Pan American Recreation Center

Description: Photograph of the interior of the basketball court in the gymnasium at the opening of Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Pan American Recreation Center, exterior, at opening]

Description: Photograph of the exterior rear of the Pan American Recreation Center at the opening on 2100 East 3rd Street. The ground is not yet seeded and playground equipment is visible behind a fence in the right. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

House - Wilkerson built

Description: A young woman sits on a newly completed backyard porch, constructed by Wilkerson Construction Co.
Date: September 27, 1956
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph