Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Locomotive leaving International and Great Northern station]

Description: Photograph of locomotive leaving International and Great Northern railroad station heading west towards the camera. From verso: "W. 3rd and approximately Guadalupe looking east. Building with tower is old. International & Great Northern station at 3rd & Congress recently (1950) demolished."
Date: [..1950]
Item Type: Photograph

[Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of cars parked on 11th Street just outside of the Texas Governor's mansion.
Date: April 1959
Creator: Studers of Texas
Item Type: Photograph

Pan American Recreation Center Wood Shop

Description: Photograph of an instructor showing a boy how to use a saw on a piece of wood at the Pan Am wood shop. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: March 30, 1959
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Pan American Recreation Center's Skating Class

Description: Photograph of the Pan American Recreation Center's skating class in the Zavala Gym. A line of seven boys, aged 9 through 12 hold on to each other's shirts while skating in a line through the gym. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: March 30, 1959
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[E. 4th Street, Austin, TX]

Description: Photograph of the 800 blocks of E. 4th Street looking east. Austin Pipe & Supply Co. is on the south side of the street.
Date: March 27, 1959
Creator: City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Pan American Recreation Center Boxing Room

Description: Photograph of one side of the Pan-Am Rec Center Boxing Room. Boxers and trainers exercise by stretching, shadowboxing, and beating punching bags. The sparring ring is visible in the foregrond. Jackets hang on hooks on the left. Clock on the back wall reads about 6:50. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: January 28, 1959
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Girls and boys playing at Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of children playing at a Rosewood Park baseball field. The boys form one circle by holding hands with each around the pitching mound and a second circle by holding hands around home plate (on the left) other while the girls form a third circle by holding hands with each other around the path from home plate to first base. Parents of both sexes observe and instruct. A bicycle is visible on the lower left. The view of the field is from the first base bleachers, looking toward left field. A car and a few homes are visible beyond left field.
Date: [1959, 1969]
Item Type: Photograph

[Storytime at the Pan American Recreation Center library]

Description: Photograph of a young woman reading a story to five children at the Pan American Recreation Center library. The woman and five children sit at a circular table with full stacks in the background. A second book lies unopened on the tabletop. An illustration of an elephant reading a book decorates the library wall. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: [1959..1969]
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[A. J. Campbell search near Goliad, September 1958, with Victoria County Sheriff M. W. "Monte" Marshall, Goliad County Sheriff A. Claude Taylor, and Travis County Sheriff T. O. Lang]

Description: Photograph of five men, four white and one black, next to a car with an open door. One man, the Goliad Sherriff, is sitting in the car, wearing a cowboy hat and with his cowboy-boot clad feet out on the ground. He holds a flashlight trained on several papers, also in his hands, and the other men lean intently in to see the papers. The two men standing on either side of him are the Victoria Sherriff on the left and Travis County Sherriff T.O. Lang on the right. They also wear cowboy hats, and Lang wears a badge above his left chest pocket. The man at the far right, who is standing behind the open car door, wears a Texas State Trooper uniform. The young black man, also on the right of the photo and leaning on the car door, wears dark trousers, a light checked shirt, and a cap. The party is searching for A. J. Campbell, Sr., who kidnapped his two young children from his estranged wife in Goliad, Texas. He committed suicide, leaving a note which said that he had "buried both children." The car, with the suicide note, was found in Travis County, and it is possible that this group is looking at the note. The bodies of Myrisha Campbell and A. J. Campbell, Jr., have never been found, and their cases remain open.
Date: September 1958
Item Type: Photograph

Camp Mabry

Description: Photograph of a building at Camp Mabry with cars and trucks parked outside.
Date: 1958
Item Type: Photograph

[Dining room interior of the Villa Capri Motor Hotel]

Description: Photograph of Villa Capri Motel restaurant dining room, located at 2300 North Interregional Highway (East Avenue, now I-35), with a burnished steel sunken charcoal broiling pit, for cooking steaks, in the center. There are overhead chandeliers made of bundles of radiating brass rods that simulate sunbursts, or perhaps exploding atoms. On the far wall is a modern wall design made with colored panels. The vaulted ceiling has exposed beams. Four-top dining tables with white table cloths are set with plates and utensils. The metal welding work at the Villa Capri Motor Hotel Restaurant was done by Milton Messer, who operated the Modern Supply Company machinists and welders from 1942 to 1982.
Date: 1958
Creator: Mears, Dewey G.
Item Type: Photograph

Governor's Mansion Sam Houston Room

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Governor's Mansion showing the Sam Houston Room, with the fireplace, portrait of Houston, an armchair, and a war drum serving as a side table. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1958 was Democratic Governor Price Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1958
Item Type: Photograph

[Lester Palmer Municipal Auditorium exterior]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of the Austin Municipal Auditorium during construction. The auditorium was designed by the Austin firm Jessen, Jessen, Millhouse, & Greeven. The dome's color scheme was created by modern artist Seymour Fogel, who was an instructor at the University of Texas Department of Art and Art History at the time.
Date: 1958~
Creator: Rockdale Works Photo
Item Type: Photograph

[Palmer Municipal Auditorium, interior view during construction]

Description: Photograph of lobby interior, ramps and exterior glass curtain wall of the Palmer Municipal Auditorium just prior to completion in 1958. Also visible are the decorative terrazzo floor, aluminum pendant light fixtures, and drinking fountains on the far wall. The Auditorium was designed by Page, Southerland and Page, with Jessen, Jessen, Millhouse & Greeven consulting architects.
Date: 1958
Item Type: Photograph

[Aerial view of the construction of Palmer Municipal Auditorium]

Description: Photograph of the construction of the old Palmer Municipal Auditorium as seen from the air looking south toward Barton Springs Road at the top of the view, with Riverside Drive at the bottom. Portions of the Auditorium's concrete frame are completed, and the metal framework for the flyloft is under construction. Several commercial buildings are visible on Barton Springs Road. The site is littered with construction debris, and various construction support buildings are visible.
Date: 1957
Item Type: Photograph