Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

All Tied up on Zilker Kite Field

Description: Photograph of "All tied up on Zilker kite field." Two teenagers try to untangle a number of kite strings while two girls stand by. They are in a field at Zilker Park in Austin.
Date: [1969..1979]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph

[Governor's Mansion fence]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation seen behind whitewashed brick and iron fence and gate naming the house as the "Governor's Mansion." Tree visible immediately behind the fence and the mansion is visible under a cloud-filled sky in the background. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1969 was Governor Preston Smith. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1969
Item Type: Photograph

[Visitors and bust of Elisabet Ney at the Elisabet Ney Museum]

Description: Photograph of Visitors Lesly Cain (age 7) and Mrs. Don Johnson examine a bust is of Mrs. Elisabet Ney at the Elisabet Ney Museum. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: [1969..1979]
Creator: Hyatt, Darl
Item Type: Photograph

Austin High [School] R.O.T.C., 1968

Description: Photograph of Austin High R.O.T.C. in 1968. (This is a portion of a panoramic AR.U.006(235) Panoramic Collection; section 4 of 6). Austin High School opened in 1881 and was the first public high school in Texas. In 1968 the campus was located at 1212 Rio Grande Street.
Date: August 1968
Item Type: Photograph

[Pan American Recreation Center] Hillside Program

Description: Photograph of a band performing on a stage before a large audience seated on the lawn at the Pan American Recreation Center Hillside Program. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: June 20, 1968
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Pan American Recreation Center] Tiny Tot trip to Hillcrest Farms

Description: Photograph of children petting a calf at Hillcrest Farms on a Tiny Tot field trip hosted by Pan American Recreation Center. A boy pets the calf while a young girl feeds the calf a treat. Another boy and girl look on. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: April 15, 1968
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Oriental Gardens

Description: Photograph of Isamu Taniguchi at the Oriental garden in Zilker Park. He works on a stone pathway.
Date: February 25, 1968
Item Type: Photograph

Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph at Elisabet Ney Museum

Description: Photograph of Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph looking at a book inscription reading, "Very sincerely bride Nell Taylor, Feb 16, 1929, Elisabet Ney Museum" in front of a classic bust. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: February 2, 1968
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Congress Avenue with Capitol in snow]

Description: Photograph of Congress Avenue covered in snow with a veiw of the capitol building. The street is slushy with dirty snow that hasn't been plowed, and cars parked along the side of the streets are covered in snow.
Date: February 8, 1967
Item Type: Photograph

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and north elevation. The image shows the grounds and entry. The building has a dark downspout on this side of the building. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1967 was Governor John Connally. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1967
Item Type: Photograph

[Pan American Tiny Tot Christmas party]

Description: Photograph of Santa Claus visiting the children at the Pan American Recreation Center Tiny Tot Christmas party. A girl sits on Santa's lap while the rest of the children wait and watch from tables around the room. They wear paper reindeer hats and have candy canes. Christmas decorations include Santa's sleigh with three reindeer on the far wall.
Date: December 1966
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Pan American Recreation Center flag football

Description: Photograph of children, aged about 10-13 play flag football at the Pan Am Recreation Center. A few boys have jerseys that say "Pan Am Aces" on the front; the rest play in plain clothes. A boy in the foreground raises a cup and looks at the camera. The boy next to him leans forward, ready to catch a pass thrown by a boy in sunglasses. Other children stand around casually. The game is not in full-play. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 1966
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph