Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 251 - 274 of 770 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of two golfers standing in very rough terrain only thirty feet from the tee at Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway number nine. They are standing in front of a tall berm of dirt; trees are visible on the right and in the background. Printed text at the bottom of the image says "View taken from No. 9 T[ee]" and a printed caption below the photo says "Thirty feet in front of No. 9 Tee."
Description: Photograph of the disjointed thumb and rough, callused hand of an ironworker at the Weigl Iron Works. Weigl Iron works was opened in 1922 by German founder and immigrant Fortunat Weigl at Exposition Boulevard, but moved shortly after to its home on 100 Red River. The flood of June 5, 1935 hit the Weigl Iron Works hard. Fortunat was joined in the business by his sons Lee and Herbert, who ran the business after Fortnuat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, Iron Works BBQ opened to honor the Weigl family and their industry.
Creator: Austin Citizen Photograph
Description: Photograph of group of players crossing the goal line with spectators looking on. Teams are in different color striped shirts, but wear no team names or player numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Description: Photograph of the Town Lake Gazebo. A pathway curves around to the gazebo in the foreground and Town Lake is behind the gazebo. Buildings across the river and a bridge are visible in the background. Started in 1967 and dedicated to the city in 1970 by the Austin Chapter of the National Association of Women in Construction as a "lasting tribute to the construction industry." The gazebo is built on the promontory where Barton Creek flows into Town Lake providing a view of downtown Austin from the south side of Town Lake.
Creator: Williamson, Nolen E.
Description: Photograph of an interior cell block at the Travis County Jail. Everything in the cell block, including ceiling, cell bars, table, benches, and walls, is made of metal. The hallway at the rear is separated from the cell block by a range of bars, through which is visible an exterior wall with windows, some of which are covered with paper or plastic. Items on the metal tables, including plastic cups, paper napkins, salt and pepper shakers, a individual-sized paperboard milk container, and a television set, seem to indicate that the area is a small recreation area where prisoners eat and watch television. Some disposable cups are also placed in the openings between the cell bars.
Description: Photograph of two people carrying protest signs as they walk along the sidewalk in front of the Travis County Courthouse. The man on the left is carrying a sign which reads, "Jails Never solved ANYthing." The person on the right is carrying a sign which reads, "JAILS ARE INHUMAN." Both have shoulder-length, dark, wavy hair and are wearing wire-rimmed glasses. The man on the left has a beard and wears a striped, wide-collared shirt, as well as dark pants and shoes. The person on the right wears bell bottom blue jeans and is barefoot. A wood frame house is partially visible in the bakcground to the right of the courthouse, and a the top of a gas street lamp is visible behind the head of the person on the right.
Creator: Bobo, Carolyn
Description: Photograph of two inmates doing handwork in the sewing area of the Travis County Jail. On the left, an African-American man mends or performs crewel embroidery on a piece of dark fabric lying in his lap. He has a short goatee and is wearing a white t-shirt and dark pants. There is a short piece of thick yarn or string tied around his middle finger. The man seated to the right, sitting next to a sewing machine, is dressed in white and wears a paper food service hat.
Description: Photograph of Bergstrom Air Force Base, United States Air Force Headquarters of the 12th Air Force and the 10th Air Force Reserve. The building was known familiarly as the "doughnut" and the "roundagon" because of its circular shape. The entrance is obscured by landscaping.
Description: Photograph of the University of Texas Old Main Building at night. The foyer and the clock face are lit from within. All other windows remain dark and uninhabited. The main front staircase is lit from a street lamp that is out of left frame. Ivy covers the lower half of the main building. The Old Main Building was constructed in three phases and completed in 1899. It remained the main administrative and library building for 35 years until its destruction in 1934.
Creator: Barnes, Walter