This system will be undergoing maintenance Monday, January 23 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST.
Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 31 - 54 of 770 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of a large, multi-prisoner cell in the Travis County Jail, which has six bunks, a sink, toilet and wall-mounted light. Bars form the front wall of the cell, which has two sliding doors, one at each end of the cell. The bunks are made up with sheets, and have what appear to be blankets placed at the foot of the matresses.
Date: February 1972
Creator: Austin American Statesman
Description: Photograph of Zilker Hillside Theater's production of "Peter Pan". The scene depicted shows Captain Hook's capture of Peter Pan, Wendy Darling and her brothers/the lost boys.
Date: August 1971
Creator: Parks and Recreation Department
Description: Photograph of students boycotting the closing of L.C. Anderson High School. The school was ordered closed in 1971 by a federal judge as part of desegregation. African-American students and parents sit on sidewalks and cars to protest the closing. The school, located at 900 Thompson Street, was originally named E.H. Anderson, and later renamed L.C. Anderson after one of its longest-serving principals. In 1973, a new, integrated L.C. Anderson High School reopened at its current location at 8403 Mesa Drive.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation, landscaping, and ironwork fence with whitewashed brick wall reading "Governor's Mansion" with an ironwork star in the wall. The shutters are open to the bare tree branches. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1971 was Governor Preston Smith. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Horberger, Carl
Description: Photograph of a man wearing a welding mask, leather apron, jeans and work shirt, welding something on a bench in a work room. The wooden door to the room is open, and appears to let in light from the outside. There is a sign on the door that reads: "OPEN COME IN", and there are symbols branded into the door. Wires are strung across the rough wood plank floor, and many metal items are stacked on the floor, the workbench, and on shelves around the walls.
Creator: Austin Citizen
Description: Photograph of Austin High School 1971 student council members standing L to R: Katie Miller, Vice President; Anna Reyes, Secretary; Charles Riptoe, Treasurer; Seated: Carlton Lowe, President. Stephen F. Austin High School was founded in 1881.
Creator: Creed, Richard
Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX looking directly west from the Capitol dome. The photograph is of Block 135, which includes, Dr. Hayne's house, built by Abner Cook. Dr. Hayne's house was later Abner Cook's home and later the Quality Shops after it was moved to the front of the lot in the center of the block.
Creator: Capital Engraving Co.
Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX taken from north of E. 15th Street. There are markers on the photograph indicating E. 15th ST., E. 11th ST., E. 8th ST., E. 7th ST., E. 4th ST., an the Colorado River. US-81 (present-day IH-35) can be seen running north and south through the left side of the photograph and the Capitol Building can be seen on the right.
Creator: City of Austin
Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX. The "Power House" or Boiler House is for construction of new Capitol building that began in 1881. A Swedish or German Lutheran church is in the foreground. The building in the distance, left of the Power House stack is the old City Hospital.
Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Deep Eddy pool and surrounding area. The pool is dried out and the trees are bare indicating winter. There are no visible people or activity near the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin.