Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 11 Matching Results

Search Results

Austin Annual Kite Tournament, 1942

Description: Photograph of a group portrait of participants at the annual kite tournament featuring home made kites of various sizes flown by boys and a few girls. Most kites are decorated with a patriotic theme, in support of the American troops in World War II.
Date: March 15, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin

[Pan American Recreation Center] Tiny Tot trip to Hillcrest Farms

Description: Photograph of children petting a calf at Hillcrest Farms on a Tiny Tot field trip hosted by Pan American Recreation Center. A boy pets the calf while a young girl feeds the calf a treat. Another boy and girl look on. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: April 15, 1968
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin