This system will be undergoing maintenance Monday, January 23 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST.

Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Scottish Granite Cutters

Description: Group photo of men. Back of photograph reads, "Scottish granite cutters imported to cut granite at Granite Mountain."
Date: 1881/1888
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Item Type: Photograph

Temporary Capitol Burning

Description: View of the Temporary Capitol building burning looking west. People witnessing the event in the intersection of 11th and Congress Avenue
Date: September 30, 1899
Item Type: Photograph

The Burning Capitol

Description: View of the Capitol as it burns looking north from the corner of 11th and Congress.
Date: November 7, 1881
Creator: Hillyer, H. B.
Item Type: Photograph

[Snow on Capitol Grounds]

Description: Looking south from the Capitol. The Temporary Capitol is in view on the right with the Travis County Courthouse on the left.
Date: February 14, 1895
Item Type: Photograph

Texas School for the Blind

Description: Group of men in suits and hats lined up in front of campus buildings. For more information: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kct25
Date: April 29, 1896
Item Type: Photograph

Congress Avenue at night

Description: Looking south down Congress Avenue from the west side of 10th St. Congress is paved with bricks with lamp posts along the middle of the street. A moonlight tower can be seen on the northwest corner.
Date: 1905/1910
Item Type: Photograph

Congress Avenue from 5th Street

Description: A busy Congress Avenue looking north from the east side of the 500 block. People line the sidewalks while cars and buses fill the streets.
Date: 1941~
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Item Type: Photograph

Goddess of Liberty with Workers

Description: Capitol construction crews surrounding the Goddess of Liberty statue that was later placed on top of the Capitol dome. Right side, back row, fifth from right with mustache is identified as Hans Falkenberg. This original iteration of the Goddess was taken down during restoration of the Capitol in 1985, restored and eventually put on display at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum.
Date: February 1888
Item Type: Photograph