Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 1,852 Matching Results

Search Results

[Beef Calves at Food and Livestock Show]

Description: Photograph of people showing their beef calves. A handwritten note on the back of the photo describes it: "Fourteen heavy weight beef calves weighing 819 pounds and over showed in Travis County's Third Annual Food and Livestock Show on the 26th and 27th of March 1947. These calves were sold at auction in Austin for an average of 29 cents per pound." The livestock show took place in Rosewood Park.
Date: March 1947

[Interior of Austin Atheltic Club with scaffolding before painting]

Description: Photograph of interior view showing the scaffolding used in painting the interior of the Austin Athletic Club building and the condition of building before painting. Volleyball nets stretch across two courts, with empty bleachers visible in background. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: February 10, 1943
Creator: Burea of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park

Description: Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: October 30, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Women's gym class stretching at Austin Athletic Center]

Description: Photograph of a large women's gym class lying in three rows on the floor on their left sides with their heads propped on their left arms, right arm crossed in front of their torsos, legs straight and toes pointed: ready to stretch. Their coats and outer garments are strewn on the wooden bleachers on the right background. A basketball hoop and archery target is visible in the rear of the building. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1940/unknown

[Women's gym class at the Austin Athletic Club]

Description: Photograph of a women's gym class at Austin Athletic Club. These twenty-five women appear to range in age from their twenties to their mid to late thirties. They wear short-sleeved white blouses and dark colored shorts with high-top lace-up sneakers. They stand on the floor and first step of the wooden bleachers of the interior volleyball courts. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1940/unknown
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Golfer teeing off at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a man teeing off at the start of a drive on the Austin Municipal Golf Course. His golf bag lies on the ground behind him. Trees are visible in the background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Golfers putting on Municipal Golf Course green]

Description: Photograph of Four men at putting green on the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Their golf bags lie on the ground at the far edge of the green. Golfers are visible in the background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

View at Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of two golfers teeing off at the start of a drive on the Austin Municipal Golf course. Concrete arrows point the direction of the green. A Lions Club lion statue is visible behind the golfers. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Golfers putting on green at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a man in suit putting while another golfer looks on. Golfers stand and sit in the shade under trees in the background. The Austin Municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: February 1, 1940
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

View [of club house] at Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course and Club House and lawn. The grass is freshly mowed and the club house is partially obscured in the background by trees and shrubs. Club house entrance and right elevation are visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[View of a Kitchen]

Description: Photograph of a small kitchen with a small stove, oven, and table. The walls are covered in newspaper. The floor is uneven and stained. This was most likely the kitchen in the home of an African American family.
Date: August 8, 1949
Creator: Studtman Photo Service

[Family Outside Their Home]

Description: Photograph of a family with two small children and a dog outside of their wooden house. Laundry is hanging to dry on lines. Other wooden houses in the background. Dirt, patches of weeds, and small trees surround the houses.
Date: August 8, 1949
Creator: Studtman Photo Service

[Men Butchering Meat at Victory Food Show]

Description: Photograph of give men butchering meat, with cuts of meat displayed on the walls behind them. A banner on the wall above the meat reads "First Annual Travis County Victory Food Show, March 17-18." According to a handwritten note on the back of the photo, the third man from the left is T. A. Mayes. About six people are on the opposite side of the table watching the men.
Date: March 1944

[Jerome Boyd Collins, Sr. with a Cow]

Description: Photograph of Jerome Boyd Collins, Sr. standing with a cow and holding a ribbon that says "Reserve Champion Beef Calf." He wears a cap with the 4-H clubs symbol. According to a handwritten note on the back of the photo, it was taken at the Third Annual Food and Livestock Show at Rosewood Park in 1946.
Date: 1946

[Young Boy and a Show Pig]

Description: Photograph of a young boy kneeling next to a show pig and holding a ribbon that reads "1st Place, Travis County Fourth Annual Food and Livestock Show, 1948, Swine, Sponsored by the Austin Negro Chamber of Commerce with Austin Chamber of Commerce Assisting." The boy wears a cap with the symbol for 4-H clubs. The event took place at Rosewood Park in Austin.
Date: 1948