Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

Description: Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables.
Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory, City of Austin

[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]

Description: Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885.
Date: 1885/1900

[Playground leaders]

Description: Photograph of a group of playground leaders. Women are seated in the first row, and men are standing in the rear. Beverly Sheffield is identified in the back row, 2nd from right.
Date: 1935~
Creator: Boone Photo Co., Austin, TX

[Swimmers at Rosewood Park pool]

Description: Photograph of swimmers at the swimming pool at the Rosewood Park for Negroes. Because of an extensive remodeling and enlargement program, Rosewood Pool opened its swimming session on June 19, but even with this late start, attendance for the rest of the season totaled 73,155. The completed pool measures 70' x 125' plus an adjacent wading pool that is 20' x 40', giving a combined total of 9,550 sq. ft. A water filtering system was installed with a 3-gallon per minute filter rate. The pool has a 350,000 gallon capacity with a 6-hour turnover. Other improvements include underwater lights in the deep end of the pool. Total cost of improvements was about $68,000.
Date: 1936~

Pan American Recreation Center Library

Description: Photograph of children in the stacks at the Pan Am Rec Center library. The shelves are packed with books. Two girls reach for books on shelves within reach. A third boy stands on a child's chair for reach. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 1966
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin

Pan American Recreation Center flag football

Description: Photograph of children, aged about 10-13 play flag football at the Pan Am Recreation Center. A few boys have jerseys that say "Pan Am Aces" on the front; the rest play in plain clothes. A boy in the foreground raises a cup and looks at the camera. The boy next to him leans forward, ready to catch a pass thrown by a boy in sunglasses. Other children stand around casually. The game is not in full-play. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 1966
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin

[Front entry of Governor's Mansion from grounds]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and south elevation showing the entry and grounds. Trees are in front of and partially obscure the upper screened porch of the mansion. The concrete stairs leading to the front porch have one metal handrail on the right. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1939 was Governor W. Lee O'Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1939
Creator: Sheilds, Marian

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and north elevation. The image shows the grounds and entry. The building has a dark downspout on this side of the building. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1967 was Governor John Connally. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1967

[University of] Texas vs. Kansas City Medics

Description: Photograph of University of Texas Longhorns vs. Kansas City Medics at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless as the two teams line up against one another. The crowds pack closely together along the two sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: 1900

Texas Longhorns of 1941 and Big Boy their Mascot

Description: Photograph of Texas Longhorns of 1941 and Big Boy, their mascot. The 1941 team was ranked no. 1 in the AP poll and declared NCAA National Champions. Their head coach was Dana X. Bible. They were not selected to play in the Rose Bowl, but they made the cover of Life magazine and are still considered one of the greatest Texas teams to this day.
Date: 1941

Sewanee vs. [University of] Texas, 1899

Description: Photograph of Texas vs. Sewanee. Bleachers seat from 150 to 300. Clark Field. Spectators (almost entirely men) crowd the bleachers and the sidelines on both sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: November 9, 1899

Opening of Pan American Recreation Center

Description: Photograph of the side of the newly built Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. Swing sets are behind the building. The previous Pan Am Rec Center existed at 3rd and Comal Streets. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin

Pan American Citizenship Class

Description: Photograph of ten elderly women and three men sit around a table at the Pan American Recreation Center for a United States citizenship class. A double sink and cupboards are in the background. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: April 19, 1961
Creator: Recreation Dept, City of Austin

Pan American Recreation Center Boxing Room

Description: Photograph of one side of the Pan-Am Rec Center Boxing Room. Boxers and trainers exercise by stretching, shadowboxing, and beating punching bags. The sparring ring is visible in the foregrond. Jackets hang on hooks on the left. Clock on the back wall reads about 6:50. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: January 28, 1959
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin

[English lessons at the Pan American Recreation Center]

Description: Photograph of a group of adults sitting around a table and read from "Elementary Reader - English" books during an English lesson at the Pan Am Rec Center. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: 19uu
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin

Trio Los Amigos

Description: Photograph of a trio of Mexican mariachi musicians at the Pan American Recreation Center. The mariachi wear sombreros and patterned panchos. The two mariachi on the right and left play guitarrĂ³ns while the middle mariachi plays the Mexican vihuela. The mariachi mouths are open in mid-song. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: 1965
Creator: Parks and Recreation Department, City of Austin