Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 6,995 Matching Results

Search Results

[Hands working iron with chisel]

Description: Photograph of a man's hands working on an iron project. The hands are cracked, callused, and worn from decades of working with iron. They could belong to Fortunat Weigl or to one of his sons Lee or Herbert. Weigl Iron Works was established on Exposition Boulevard in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl and moved shortly afterwards to its location at 100 Red River. Fortunat was joined in business by his sons who operated the business after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, Iron Works BBQ opened at the 100 Red River location in honor of the building's history.
Date: 197u
Creator: Austin Citizen Photograph

[Man welding at Weigl Iron Works in Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a man wearing a welding mask, leather apron, jeans and work shirt, welding something on a bench in a work room. The wooden door to the room is open, and appears to let in light from the outside. There is a sign on the door that reads: "OPEN COME IN", and there are symbols branded into the door. Wires are strung across the rough wood plank floor, and many metal items are stacked on the floor, the workbench, and on shelves around the walls.
Date: [1971..1977]
Creator: Austin Citizen

[Last streetcar in front of Palm School, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of an Austin Street Railway Company streetcar in front of the Palm School on First Street (now Cesar Chavez), reportedly taken on the last day of streetcar service in Austin. A group of children and a few women, possibly students and teachers, are standing on the sidewalk in front of the school, waving at the streetcar. There is a blurred car in the foreground, about to pass the streetcar on the right, and another car is behind the streetcar on the right side of the photograph. The Austin Chronicle reported on July 21, 2000 that "(t)he last day for Austin's streetcars came on February 7, 1940. By June (1940), most of the tracks had been torn up and paved over. The last tracks were removed in 1942, providing 50,000 pounds of steel for use in World War II."
Date: February 7, 1940

[Unkown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of a tackle at an unknown game at Clark Field. Players at this time did not wear helmets of protective padding. They wear no numbers or jerseys. The photographer's shadow is visible in the bottom of the image. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.

[Three students of the University of Texas School of Military Aeronautics on the lawn in front of the Old Main building, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of three young men dressed in military uniforms, sitting on the lawn in front of the Old Main building at the University of Texas at Austin. The men have their legs straight out in front of them, showing the soles of thier boots, upon which is written in chalk: "BERLIN OR BUST", a popular patriotic/propaganda phrase during World War I. The man in the middle of the group has his campaign hat on his lap. The men are identified on the back of the photograph, from left to right as: Curry, Hart and Callender.
Date: 1917/1919

[Impact at uknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of low angle shot of an impact at an uknown game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless. Even at this close range, it is difficult to determine which players belong to which team. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.

[Student gathering on University of Texas at Austin campus before Governor Ferguson protest parade]

Description: Photograph of a group of University of Texas students and supporters gathered on the lawn behind the Old Main Building, as they prepare for a protest march to Governor James E. Ferguson's (Pa Ferguson) capitol office. Many of the group are seated on the lawn or on chairs, and some hold umbrellas to protect themselves from the sun. A caption on the back of the photograph reads "scene in the campus before the student parade, May 28, 1917, Old Main Bg. in the background." The group was protesting Governor Ferguson's call for fraternities and sororities to be banned from the UT campus, and his further call for the removal of University president Dr. Robert Ernest Vinson. The Governor was not successful in either case, and was indeed himself impeached and removed from office by the Texas legislature on September 25, 1917.
Date: May 28, 1917

[Touchdown at unknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of group of players crossing the goal line with spectators looking on. Teams are in different color striped shirts, but wear no team names or player numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: 19uu

[Tackle at unknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of Tackle at an uknown game at Clark Field. Coaches, referees, and players look on from the field and sidelines. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.

[Four University of Texas at Austin football players in uniform with 1898 ball]

Description: Photograph of four University of Texas football players, three standing and one kneeling on one knee and holding an 1898 football. The photograph is mounted on a cabinet card. The UT student players are wearing uniforms consisting of dark turtleneck sweaters with a large "T" centered on the chest, quilted padded pants, shin guards and leather lace-up ankle boots. The reverse of the photograph notes that the photograph is from the James H. Hart Estate. Hart is standing at the far left in the photograph. James Hart was an end on the 1897 football team, a tackle on the 1898 team and captain on the 1899 team. He led UT to 23-5 mark during his four seasons, including 6-0 record in 1900. Hart also served as secretary of the athletic association, and editor in chief of the 1899 Cactus. He returned to UT football as coach in 1902, leading the Longhorns to a 6-3-1 record, and served 26 years as alumni representative to UT Athletics Council.
Date: 1898/1899-01-22
Creator: Journeay, William O.

[Unknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of an unknown game at Clark Field shows players piling on each other right before a tackle while officials look on. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.

[Kickoff of unkown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of kickoff of an unknown football game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless, and a crowd watches while standing across the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.

[Moving large parts into Seaholm Power Plant]

Description: Photograph of men moving a large piece of machinery into Seaholm Power Plant near Town Lake. A large crane hook is supporting the machinery part with four massive cables. The cylindrical component is sitting on a track which is moving through a trench into the plant. Three workers check the cables from on top of the cylinder, and several other men monitor the progress from the ground. The Seaholm Power Plant was designed by Burns & McDonell Engineering Co. and built in two phases by Odom Construction company in 1950 and 1955 at 800 West Cesar Chavez St in Austin, Texas. The plant was dedicated posthumously to Walter E. Seaholm in recognition of his 33-year service to the city of Austin as Superintendent of Water and Light and City Manager. The plant operated as a power source until 1989. The city of Austin authorized the decommissioning of the plant in 1996. In 2000 the city commissioned a District Master Plan for the site, and in 2008 it approved a plan by Seaholm Power Development, LLC to repurpose the buildings into retail, residential, and outdoor spaces.
Date: January 6, 1951