Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 5 Matching Results

Search Results

[Lamar Boulevard]

Description: Photograph of Lamar Boulevard while under construction, looking south from 9th street. This was a Works Progress Administration project. Trees and houses line both sides of the street.
Date: April 2, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Location Info:

Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph at Elisabet Ney Museum

Description: Photograph of Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph looking at a book inscription reading, "Very sincerely bride Nell Taylor, Feb 16, 1929, Elisabet Ney Museum" in front of a classic bust. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: February 2, 1968
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin

[Sunday Break Music Festival in 1976]

Description: Photograph of a large crowd of people at the Sunday Break music festival with a stage visible in the backgroud. Performing acts included America, Peter Frampton, Santana, and Gary Wright. 56,000 people were in attendance with a gross income of $532,000 against expenses of $425,000. Medical assistance was provided by YWCA's Middle Earth Program with over 100 volunteers. DPS agents and uniformed city police were not invited in the gates.
Date: May 2, 1976