Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 7 Matching Results

Search Results

Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park

Description: Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: October 30, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

Pan American Recreation Center Wood Shop

Description: Photograph of an instructor showing a boy how to use a saw on a piece of wood at the Pan Am wood shop. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: March 30, 1959
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin

Pan American Recreation Center's Skating Class

Description: Photograph of the Pan American Recreation Center's skating class in the Zavala Gym. A line of seven boys, aged 9 through 12 hold on to each other's shirts while skating in a line through the gym. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: March 30, 1959
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin

Pool at Zilker Park

Description: Photograph of the pool at Zilker Park. Inscription on back of photo reads "Lily Ponds built w/relief labor 1935 Annual Report"
Date: January 30, 1936
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory - City of Austin

[Temporary Texas Capitol Building Fire]

Description: Photograph of the fire that destroyed the building that had temporarily served as the capitol building for the state of Texas while the new capitol building was being constructed. Firefighters can be seen spraying water in to the upper floors while a large number of spectators look on.
Date: August 30, 1899