Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 19 Matching Results

Search Results

Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park

Description: Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: October 30, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Austin Municipal Airport]

Description: Photograph of the Austin Municipal Airport. A Braniff Airways Inc. airplane is in the center of the photograph. There is a Humble aviation gasoline and lubricants pump in the photograph.
Date: October 22, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Library

[First Air Mail Plane]

Description: Loading air mail on first mail plane to leave Robert Mueller Municipal Airport after dedication ceremonies. Adolph Koch, Niles Graham, P.R. James, Raymond Grasty, "Bub" Merrill, Bub's mother, Paul Cruseman, Lynn Hunter, Max Bickler, Bub's Father and others
Date: October 14, 1930
Creator: Boone Photo Company

[Laguna Gloria]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of the historic Laguna Gloria building. It is partially obscured by palmettos and other foliage. The building is now part of the Contemporary Austin art museum.
Date: October 1952
Creator: Studer
Location Info:

[Nighthawk Staff]

Description: Photograph of a group portrait of the Nighthawk restaurant staff. They wear uniforms and stand in front of the restaurant. The woman in the middle, behind the two women at center, is Violet Franklin Sanders. The restaurant was located at 1907 Guadalupe Street, Austin.
Date: October 8, 1935
Creator: Stewart Photo Company
Location Info:

[Pan American Recreation Center Halloween]

Description: Photograph of three women and five children pose for a photo. One boy wears a Halloween mask he likely made himself. Another mischevious boy lands a kick to another boy's hip. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: October 31, 1950
Creator: Parks and Recreation Dept., City of Austin