Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 11 Matching Results

Search Results

Austin's First Ambulance

Description: Photograph of Austin's first ambulance taken at 33rd and Speedway streets. The ambulance is horse-drawn and on the side, in addition to a cross, is a small plaque that reads "V.O. Weed." On the back of the photograph there is a note that reads "Mr. Bob Weed says that the body of this horse-drawn ambulance was removed and motorized with the coming of the auto-mobile, therefore it became Austin's first real ambulance."
Date: 1910

Austin's First Ambulance

Description: Photograph of a horse-drawn ambulance taken at 33rd and Speedway streets. On the side of the ambulance, in addition to a cross, is a small plaque that reads "V.O. Weed." The body of this horse-drawn ambulance was removed and motorized with the coming of the automobile, therefore it became Austin's first real ambulance.
Date: 1910

Bridge over Barton Creek

Description: Photograph of a group of people stand on and below a stone bridge, built by Swiss engineer and former Confederate colonel Getulius Kellersberger (1820-1900), at Barton Creek. Kellersberger, along with Arnold Kellersberger (July 30 1883-June 19 1972) and Alma Shudde Kellersberger (March 6 1888-October 2 1976), are pictured but not identified.
Date: 1910~

[Eanes one-room school building]

Description: Photograph of a classroom interior as seen from the back entrance door, showing wooden desks and seats with slatted backs in the foreground, along with a cast iron stove in the central aisle. To the back of the photograph lies the teacher's wooden desk, and a long blackboard that spans the length of the front classroom wall. There are two wall-mounted gas lamps above the blackboard, and several photographs are posted above and on the blackboard. The floor is constructed of wooden boards, and the walls are board and batten. There is a window to the right in the photograph, which has an opaque shade shaped like an awning. This is probably a view of the 1896 one-room school, which replaced the 1874 school that burned, and was used from 1896 to 1937. The 2 acres of land for the school were provided by William and Sophia Teague. Builders of the school were Henry Johnson, Oscar Carlson, and John Marshall. This photograph is copied from a manuscript by Mrs. H. R. Gentry, entitled: "Eanes School, Travis County".
Date: 1910~

[Exterior of Elisabet Ney Studio]

Description: Photograph of men, women, and children enjoy the outdoors outside of Elisabet Ney's sculpture studio. Bare tree branches and coats indicate the season is probably late fall or winter. This is the south elevation of the studio which is made of stone. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: [..1910]