Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED
[Congress Avenue]
Photograph of pre-1875 Congress Avenue taken from the southwest looking towards the Capitol Building.
[Congress Avenue]
Photograph of a bustling Congress Avenue taken from the south looking towards the Capitol Builing. People are walking or riding on horse and carriage.
[Congress Avenue and the Capitol Building]
Photograph of Congress Avenue taken from the south looking towards the Capitol Building. Horse carriage tracks line the avenue. Patterson Wagon Yard is on the west side of the avenue.
[Congress Avenue Before 1875]
Photograph of a view looking down Congress Avenue, taken before 1875. There are builidngs and horse drawn buggies lining the street. The Capitol (1853-1881) building is in the background.
[Congress Avenue Flooded by Colorado River]
Photograph of Congress Avenue flooded by the Colorado River. Note on photo reads: "Looking northwest from So. Congress Sept. 28, 1936."
[Congress Avenue looking south from Capitol Building]
View of Congress Avenue, looking south from Capitol Building. Signs are visible for Maerki's Bakery and Hill & Hill Groceries.
[Congress Avenue with Capitol in snow]
Photograph of Congress Avenue covered in snow with a veiw of the capitol building. The street is slushy with dirty snow that hasn't been plowed, and cars parked along the side of the streets are covered in snow.
[Construction Model of the Municipal Airport]
Photograph of a construction model of the Austin Municipal Airport. The scene includes model cars, airplanes, airport and tarmac.
[Construction of 35th Street Mopac Overpass]
Photograph of an aerial view of the construction of the 35th Street/Mopac overpass.
[Construction of Capitol Dome]
Photograph of the unfinished Capitol dome. Scaffolding is in place and the stonework for the base of the dome is complete.
[Construction of] Municipal Golf Course tool house
Photograph of construction of the Austin Municipal Golf Course tool house, made of white bricks. Scaffolding circles the walls, and the support for the roof is visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and then donated to the city in 1936, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Construction of the Capitol Building]
Photograph of the Capitol building being constructed.
[Construction of the Capitol Building]
Photograph of the construction of the State Capitol Building, looking at the east side of the building. The base of the building is largely complete and scaffolding is in place to build the dome.
[Construction of the control tower at Mueller Municipal Airport in Austin, Texas]
Photograph of the aircraft control tower under construction at Mueller Municipal Airport. There is scaffolding around the concrete interior support structure, and board formwork is in place for pouring a flared level near the top of the tower. In front of the tower, the scalloped metal terminal roof is under construction, and there are several wooden construction shacks in foreground.
[Construction of the Municipal Golf Course tool house]
Photograph of construction workers work on building the tool house at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. A ladder leans on a scaffolding leading to the roof. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Construction of the Rosewood Recreation Center, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]
Photograph of construction of the Negro Recreation Building in Rosewood Park. Three men stand on the back of a 1930s flat bed truck, as they use a crane mounted on the truck to lift half of a laminated wooden semi-circular arched truss into place. Two of the trusses are already completed in the background. The scaffolding used to support workers joining the trusses at their centers stands to the back of the truck. The trusses are joined by cross members, and the half truss erected to the left in the photograph is supported by a post, awaiting the other half of the truss. Two wooden saw horses and several stacks of bags of cement(?) are on the ground under and near the trusses. This photograph appeared in the 1944 Annual Report of the Austin Recreation Department, on page 48, labeled "New Gymnasium - Auditorium at Rosewood".
Convict Laborers Shaping Columns
Photograph of "Convict laborers shaping columns and loading flat cars near a Marble Falls,Texas quarry." The stones were used for construction of the Texas state Capitol building.
[Copy of Photograph of 1919 Texas State Capitol]
Copy of a photograph loaned by Mrs. Gill Paggi of the Texas State Capitol.
[Cotton Gin]
Photograph of a cotton gin near Austin. In front of the cotton gin are men with horse drawn carts full of cotton. There is another man standing near a cotton bale in the foreground.
[The Cotton Gin at Manchaca]
Photograph of workers posing at the cotton gin in Manchaca, Travis County, Texas.
[Couples in State Lunatic Asylum Park]
Photograph of two couples at the State Lunatic Asylum Park. "Mary" and "C.H.W." are in seated in the foreground. The names of the couple on the bridge are unknown. The hospital opened in 1856, is operated by the Texas Department of State Health Services, and changed its name in 1925. It is the oldest psychiatric hospital in the state of Texas and the third oldest standing public building in the state. It opened with 12 patients and saw as many as 3000 at once time. The Austin State Hospital currently houses around 300 patients, most staying for about a week during treatment.
Court-House crowd [Group of Travis County officials standing on the steps of a stone building]
Photograph of a group of men wearing suits standing on the steps of what may be either the Travis County Courthouse or the Travis County Jail. The identified men, including Judge George Calhoun, District Clerk James P. Hart, and Deputy Sheriff Fred Peck, are all Travis County officials, but most of the group are unidentified. One of the the men is African American, and he appears to be the only person not wearing a suit coat. Several of the men are wearing ties -- including bow ties, string ties and neck ties -- and several are wearing vests and have watch chains. The building behind them is made of stone blocks, with rusticated blocks below and ashlar blocks above. There is a door in the center of the photograph, behind the men, and it is flanked by two double-hung sash windows. Inscribed below the image in ink is "Court-House crowd", and the identifications are written in either ink or pencil with arrows pointing to the identified person.
[Crockett-Porter Bus]
Photograph of African American students and parents waiting for a school bus, as seen from inside the bus over the should of the driver. Most likely this was the Crockett-Porter bus from 1974-1975.
[Crowd watches a concert on the hillside at Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of a crowd of people watching a concert at Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. The people are seated on the grassy hillside.
Cutstone yard, Burnet, Texas
View of the cut stone yard in Burnet, Texas. The stones were used to construct the Texas state Capitol building.
Damned up Creek between East Avenue and Red River Street
Photograph of a damned up creek between East Avenue and Red River Street.
[Dan Davidson and Jack Robinson]
Photograph of (left to right): Dan Davidson, Austin City Manager, shaking the hand of Jack Robinson, Director of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (facing) in an office. Architectural plans lean against the wall behind manager Davidson.
Deaf and Dumb Institute
Photograph of men a women standing on top of foundation of the Texas school for the Deaf. Francis Fischer and J.B. Nitchke hold the cornerstone. "Deaf and Dumb Institute, Fischer and Lambie Contractors, Lumber from Clacasieu Lumber Co." is written in the bottom left-hand quarter of the photo.
Deep Eddy, Austin Tex
Photograph of spectators and swimmers at Deep Eddy Bathing Beach.
Deep Eddy Bathing Beach
Photograph of panoramic view of Deep Eddy Bathing Beach.
[DeLeon children slide at Zilker Park]
Photograph of Jesse DeLeon holding on to a play structure while brother and sister (Michael and Angie) wait behind him, getting ready to go down the slide at Zilker Park.
[Delta Sigma Theta members receive certificate]
Photograph of three women of the African-American sorority Delta Sigma Theta accept a certificate from the Travis County Historical Survey Commission on behalf of the Rosewood Recreation Association.
[Deserted Log Cabin]
Photograph of the exterior of a deserted log cabin.
[Dillman's Farm at Austin Community Gardens]
Photograph of a section of garden at the Austin Community Garden. A wooden sign that says "Dillman's Farm" is in the foreground, indicating the plot as belonging to the Dillmans. Wooden stakes and leafy plants are visible in front of a chain-link fence running along the border of the garden. A hose snakes up into view at the back of the Dillman plot.
[Dining room interior of the Villa Capri Motor Hotel]
Photograph of Villa Capri Motel restaurant dining room, located at 2300 North Interregional Highway (East Avenue, now I-35), with a burnished steel sunken charcoal broiling pit, for cooking steaks, in the center. There are overhead chandeliers made of bundles of radiating brass rods that simulate sunbursts, or perhaps exploding atoms. On the far wall is a modern wall design made with colored panels. The vaulted ceiling has exposed beams. Four-top dining tables with white table cloths are set with plates and utensils. The metal welding work at the Villa Capri Motor Hotel Restaurant was done by Milton Messer, who operated the Modern Supply Company machinists and welders from 1942 to 1982.
Domestic Science Senior Cooking Class, Austin High School, 1908
Photograph of the 1908 domestic science senior cooking class at Austin High School. Bottom row (left to right): Annie Lou Puckett, Lily Ecklund, Lora Turner, Fannie Walker, Rosa Maas. Middle row (left to right): Katie Clark, Nettie B. Sullivan, Adele Barbisch, Clara Stovall, Alice Ramsdell, Lomie Layton. Top row (left to row): Miss Bell (teacher from Denton), Inez Slaughter, Nona Lewis, Janie Tannehill, Bessie Enlow, Mabel Maud, May Belle Robbins, Bessie Pate, Emma Seeker and Salome Anthony. Photo gift of Mrs. Mabel Maud Huckaby.
[Don Stence and assistant]
Photograph of Don Stence (seated) of the Austin Parks and Recreation Department and assistant looking over architectural park plans. The drafting desk is covered with drawings and plans.
[Donate Old Tires]
Photograph of a tire donation point in front of the Texas State Capitol's south façade during World War I. The donation point is designed to look like a totem pole like those found in the Pacific Northwest. The cement base of the pole is painted with the words "Donate Old Tires."
[Drawing of the Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of an illustration of the Governor's Mansion in 1856.
[Dress fitting at Pan American Recreation Center]
Photograph of a woman standing with her right arm lifted while a seamstress works on the waistline of her dress. More women are working on sewing machines or sewing by hand. Several women measure and cut fabric in the back. This sewing room was in the old Pan American Recreation Center at 3rd Street and Comal Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
D.E. Hall School of Domestic Economy
Photograph of a group of women sitting out front of the D.E. Hall of Domestic Economy. These women were associated with the Young Women's Christian Association as indicated by notes on the back of the photograph. Stamped on one of the boards of the school is [CALC]ASIEU LUMBER referring to Calcasieu Lumber Company which was established in Austin,Texas in the early 1880s.
[Eanes one-room school building]
Photograph of a classroom interior as seen from the back entrance door, showing wooden desks and seats with slatted backs in the foreground, along with a cast iron stove in the central aisle. To the back of the photograph lies the teacher's wooden desk, and a long blackboard that spans the length of the front classroom wall. There are two wall-mounted gas lamps above the blackboard, and several photographs are posted above and on the blackboard. The floor is constructed of wooden boards, and the walls are board and batten. There is a window to the right in the photograph, which has an opaque shade shaped like an awning. This is probably a view of the 1896 one-room school, which replaced the 1874 school that burned, and was used from 1896 to 1937. The 2 acres of land for the school were provided by William and Sophia Teague. Builders of the school were Henry Johnson, Oscar Carlson, and John Marshall. This photograph is copied from a manuscript by Mrs. H. R. Gentry, entitled: "Eanes School, Travis County".
[East 1st Street]
Photograph of East First Street looking west from San Marcos Street after track removal. Lockhart Ice Cream store sign visible on left.
[East 6th Street at Neches]
Photograph of the south side of East 6th Street taken from Neches. Humpty Dumpty Grocery at 419 East 6th is shown in the photo.
East Avenue
Photograph of East Avenue looking south from Lookout after a recent snowfall.
[East Avenue]
Photograph of a man standing in the middle of East Avenue. The photograph was taken before the street rails were placed.
East First Street
Photograph of East First Street looking west from San Marcos Street, after track removal. Cagles Place, Lockhart Ice Cream and Heep Dairy Products are on the south side of the street.
[East track concreted]
Photograph of the concrete team working on the east railroad track on Congress Avenue, looking toward the Capitol. The crews are working hard in the background while horses and carts line up to visit the clothing and shoe shops that line the road. Signs are visible for Carl Mayer Jeweler, Wright & Robinson, Mens Outfitters, Emil Risse art photographer, a commercial college and a laundry. A trolley car is visible in the distance.
[Edward Evans]
Photograph of Edward Evans, of the State Board of Control, trimming the Capitol shrubs.
[Elazar Tamayo and his wife, Lupe Tamayo]
Photograph of Elazar Tamayo and his wife, Lupe Tamayo, a Hispanic or Latino couple, visible from the waist up, standing in front of a building. Both appear to be in their late 50s or early 60s. He has salt-and-pepper hair and a moustache, and she has dark, wavy chin-length hair. She is wearing a sleeveless, open-collar cotton shirt, and he is wearing a button-front shirt with elbow-length sleeves. The 1976 Austin City Directory lists their residence as 1100 Lilly Terrace.