Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 21 - 44 of 770 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of Airplane view of vicinity of Waller Creek and East 1st Street. East 1st Street is visible diagonally down the center of the image from top to bottom, while Waller Creek cuts through the image from left to right.
Description: Photograph of the Alfonso Ramos Band playing at the San Jose Community Center in South Austin. The band includes saxophone, drums, bongo drum, trombone, and trumpet. A man in tan suit is singing or talking into the microphone as other band members talk or wait. Five little girls, some wearing white dresses, and two little boys sit on the edge of the stage and watch the dancers. Women, wearing foral bridesmaid dresses, dance with men in suits.
Creator: Penzenstadler, Joan
Description: Photograph of Aluminum for Defense collection point outside of the Texas Capitol building. A large chicken-wire bin holds aluminum cans. The Capitol dome is visible in the background.
Date: July 28, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory City of Austin, Texas
Description: Photograph of Anderson High School students lined up outside the schoolhouse which is either at Olive and Curve Streets or at Pennsylvania Street (currently Kealing Middle school). This class is composed of mostly female African American students.
Date: [1889, 1920]
Description: Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row.
Description: Photograph of a member of the Weigl family using an arc welder on a project. The Weigl Iron Works was founded in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl. In 1935 Weigl moved his foundry from its Exposition Boulevard location to 100 Red River location where it remained for several decades. He was joined in business by his sons Lee and Herbert who continued to operate after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, the location was reopened as Iron Works BBQ in honor of the history at that location.
Creator: Austin Citizen Photograph
Description: Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
[Ariel view of Camp Swift including Headquarters, Post Finance Office, U. S. Post Office and north cantonment area]
Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Camp Swift Headquarters, Finance Building, U. S. Post Office and a portion of the north cantonment area. The long wooden buildings are arranged parallel to each other, with the two-story Headquarters building in the center and the one-story Finance and Post Office buildings to each side. A flag pole with flag is visible in the foreground, and the cantonment area buildings are in the background.
Description: Photograph of a group of men marching in an Armistice Day parade in 1919. The identities of some of the men are given by Mr. George C. Hawley: Dr. T.U. Taylor is holding the flag, Dr. E.P. Schoch is the tall professor in the first row (next to Dr. Bantel), Dr. E.C. Bantel is the first person in the line of march.
Description: Photograph of a group of soldiers standing on a stage with women at the U.S.O. Club. All are wearing leis, and some of the soldiers wear white t-shirts with their uniform pants. Most of the women are wearing colorful cotton dresses or skirts. One couple is holding a U.S.O. flag. Two soldiers and one woman are standing on a ladder leading up to the stage. The people look like they are participants in a Hawaiian-themed party or show.
Description: Photograph of children painting papier mache elephants at the Pan American Recreation Center at an arts & crafts class. Two elephants sit on the table, nearly done. An open jar of paint and several towels sit on the table top. Two boys and three girls surround the table. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Description: Photograph of a group portrait of participants at the annual kite tournament featuring home made kites of various sizes flown by boys and a few girls. Most kites are decorated with a patriotic theme, in support of the American troops in World War II.
Date: March 15, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Description: Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: October 30, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Description: Photograph of members of the Austin Ballet Society posing on stairs in front of the Mueller Austin Municipal Airport, with the control tower in the background.
Description: Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century.