Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 211 - 234 of 847 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of three women of the African-American sorority Delta Sigma Theta accept a certificate from the Travis County Historical Survey Commission on behalf of the Rosewood Recreation Association.
Date: August 15, 1973
Description: Photograph of a section of garden at the Austin Community Garden. A wooden sign that says "Dillman's Farm" is in the foreground, indicating the plot as belonging to the Dillmans. Wooden stakes and leafy plants are visible in front of a chain-link fence running along the border of the garden. A hose snakes up into view at the back of the Dillman plot.
Date: September 1975
Creator: Fluitt, Mike
Description: Photograph of Villa Capri Motel restaurant dining room, located at 2300 North Interregional Highway (East Avenue, now I-35), with a burnished steel sunken charcoal broiling pit, for cooking steaks, in the center. There are overhead chandeliers made of bundles of radiating brass rods that simulate sunbursts, or perhaps exploding atoms. On the far wall is a modern wall design made with colored panels. The vaulted ceiling has exposed beams. Four-top dining tables with white table cloths are set with plates and utensils. The metal welding work at the Villa Capri Motor Hotel Restaurant was done by Milton Messer, who operated the Modern Supply Company machinists and welders from 1942 to 1982.
Creator: Mears, Dewey G.
Description: Photograph of the 1908 domestic science senior cooking class at Austin High School. Bottom row (left to right): Annie Lou Puckett, Lily Ecklund, Lora Turner, Fannie Walker, Rosa Maas. Middle row (left to right): Katie Clark, Nettie B. Sullivan, Adele Barbisch, Clara Stovall, Alice Ramsdell, Lomie Layton. Top row (left to row): Miss Bell (teacher from Denton), Inez Slaughter, Nona Lewis, Janie Tannehill, Bessie Enlow, Mabel Maud, May Belle Robbins, Bessie Pate, Emma Seeker and Salome Anthony. Photo gift of Mrs. Mabel Maud Huckaby.
Date: January 7, 1956
Description: Photograph of a tire donation point in front of the Texas State Capitol's south façade during World War I. The donation point is designed to look like a totem pole like those found in the Pacific Northwest. The cement base of the pole is painted with the words "Donate Old Tires."
Description: Photograph of a woman standing with her right arm lifted while a seamstress works on the waistline of her dress. More women are working on sewing machines or sewing by hand. Several women measure and cut fabric in the back. This sewing room was in the old Pan American Recreation Center at 3rd Street and Comal Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Description: Photograph of a group of women sitting out front of the D.E. Hall of Domestic Economy. These women were associated with the Young Women's Christian Association as indicated by notes on the back of the photograph. Stamped on one of the boards of the school is [CALC]ASIEU LUMBER referring to Calcasieu Lumber Company which was established in Austin,Texas in the early 1880s.
Date: [1885, 1920]
Description: Photograph of a classroom interior as seen from the back entrance door, showing wooden desks and seats with slatted backs in the foreground, along with a cast iron stove in the central aisle. To the back of the photograph lies the teacher's wooden desk, and a long blackboard that spans the length of the front classroom wall. There are two wall-mounted gas lamps above the blackboard, and several photographs are posted above and on the blackboard. The floor is constructed of wooden boards, and the walls are board and batten. There is a window to the right in the photograph, which has an opaque shade shaped like an awning. This is probably a view of the 1896 one-room school, which replaced the 1874 school that burned, and was used from 1896 to 1937. The 2 acres of land for the school were provided by William and Sophia Teague. Builders of the school were Henry Johnson, Oscar Carlson, and John Marshall. This photograph is copied from a manuscript by Mrs. H. R. Gentry, entitled: "Eanes School, Travis County".
Description: Photograph of the concrete team working on the east railroad track on Congress Avenue, looking toward the Capitol. The crews are working hard in the background while horses and carts line up to visit the clothing and shoe shops that line the road. Signs are visible for Carl Mayer Jeweler, Wright & Robinson, Mens Outfitters, Emil Risse art photographer, a commercial college and a laundry. A trolley car is visible in the distance.
Description: Photograph of Elazar Tamayo and his wife, Lupe Tamayo, a Hispanic or Latino couple, visible from the waist up, standing in front of a building. Both appear to be in their late 50s or early 60s. He has salt-and-pepper hair and a moustache, and she has dark, wavy chin-length hair. She is wearing a sleeveless, open-collar cotton shirt, and he is wearing a button-front shirt with elbow-length sleeves. The 1976 Austin City Directory lists their residence as 1100 Lilly Terrace.
Creator: Penzenstadler, Joan