Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 221 - 244 of 740 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway number, 1 looking toward the green. There is a gradual downward slope with a few patches of visible sand. The fairway halfway down and the green itself are surrounded on three sides by small trees. A printed caption below the image says "Looking toward green No. 1." On the top right corner of the image, a corner of a second image is visible in the scan.
Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway no. 7, looking toward tee. There is rough brush and a downward slope from the tee in the background to the foreground. A printed caption below the image says "Fareway No. 7 Looking toward Tee."
Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway number six, looking toward the green. Very rough ground with dust, tree stumps, and debris are the visible challenges of this hole; the green is not visible in the distance.
Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway number twelve, looking toward the green. Heavy debris, tall grass, sand traps, and uneven terrain are the visible challenges. A man is standing on the right side of the image with his hands on his hips. A printed caption below the image says "Fareway No. 12 Looking toward Green."
Description: Photograph of the "Fat and Lean" fundraiser for LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens). Nash Moreno, wearing a polka dot dress and a hat, is batting. A catcher stands behind her. Others stand in front of a fence and watch.
Description: Photograph of a father and daughter posing in front of the Texas State Capitol building. The man is wearing a boater hat.
Description: Photograph of a cell area in Travis County Jail with rope laundry line strung across the bars. The rope holds items of women's clothing, including a flowered shirt, embroidered pants, and other tops, pants and nylon underwear. On the floor below there are four pairs of boots, pairs of sandals, house shoes, and other street shoes. The cell behind the bars is stuffed with a variety of clothing items.
Description: Photograph of a female inmate inside jail cell, sitting on bunk at Travis County Jail. She faces the interior of her dark cell. Her hair is in plastic curlers and her feet are bare. A blanket from the top bunk above her drapes low behind the bars, darkening the cell. A paperback book sits between the bars.
Description: Photograph of a female Travis County Jail librarian and female inmate. The librarian, on the left, is wearing a print shirt with pointed collar and holding three paperback books on top of a box of assorted paperbacks. The female inmate, who is on the right, reaches through the bars as she looks at the selections offered. Her hair is in plastic and foam rollers. A sewing machine and wooden shelving are visible in the background of the photograph.
Description: Loading air mail on first mail plane to leave Robert Mueller Municipal Airport after dedication ceremonies. Adolph Koch, Niles Graham, P.R. James, Raymond Grasty, "Bub" Merrill, Bub's mother, Paul Cruseman, Lynn Hunter, Max Bickler, Bub's Father and others
Date: October 14, 1930
Creator: Boone Photo Company
Description: Photograph of a Ford f-5 pickup truck with two service men and a woman along with model of the Liberty Bell in the back. Painted on the truck's bed rail is the motto "Save For YOUR Independence - Buy U.S. Savings Bonds." The truck is parked in front of the Texas Capitol building.
Date: [1941, 1945]
Description: Photograph of Travis County Sheriff T. O. Lang, who served from January 1, 1953 to December 31, 1972. He was the longest serving sheriff in Travis County history, and died April 28, 1977. This head-and-shoulders portrait is part of the Austin Citizen Collection. It shows Sheriff Lang dressed in a dark suit with a white shirt and a patterend tie, wearing glasses, with greying hair, and seated in front of a light neutral background. Lang also has a Masonic pin on his left lapel.
Creator: University Studio
Description: Photograph of four University of Texas football players, three standing and one kneeling on one knee and holding an 1898 football. The photograph is mounted on a cabinet card. The UT student players are wearing uniforms consisting of dark turtleneck sweaters with a large "T" centered on the chest, quilted padded pants, shin guards and leather lace-up ankle boots. The reverse of the photograph notes that the photograph is from the James H. Hart Estate. Hart is standing at the far left in the photograph. James Hart was an end on the 1897 football team, a tackle on the 1898 team and captain on the 1899 team. He led UT to 23-5 mark during his four seasons, including 6-0 record in 1900. Hart also served as secretary of the athletic association, and editor in chief of the 1899 Cactus. He returned to UT football as coach in 1902, leading the Longhorns to a 6-3-1 record, and served 26 years as alumni representative to UT Athletics Council.
Creator: Journeay, William O.
Description: Photograph of Frank Albrecht looking through a trash can of sporting equipment at the Austin Athletic Club. Large light fixtures, boxes, equipment bags, and other debrs is piled around him. A vending machine is visible on the left behind the open glass sliding doors. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Description: Photograph of Franch Albrecht putting a volleyball onto a top shelf in an activities closet at the Austin Athletic Club (renamed Austin Recreation Center in 1970). Various other items for activities are on the shelves such as checkers and ping-pong balls, as well as other supplies such as water sprinklers, paint, and electrical supplies. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and south elevation showing the entry and grounds. Trees are in front of and partially obscure the upper screened porch of the mansion. The concrete stairs leading to the front porch have one metal handrail on the right. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1939 was Governor W. Lee O'Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Sheilds, Marian