Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED
[East 6th Street at Neches]
Photograph of the south side of East 6th Street taken from Neches. Humpty Dumpty Grocery at 419 East 6th is shown in the photo.
East Avenue
Photograph of East Avenue looking south from Lookout after a recent snowfall.
[East Avenue]
Photograph of a man standing in the middle of East Avenue. The photograph was taken before the street rails were placed.
East First Street
Photograph of East First Street looking west from San Marcos Street, after track removal. Cagles Place, Lockhart Ice Cream and Heep Dairy Products are on the south side of the street.
[East track concreted]
Photograph of the concrete team working on the east railroad track on Congress Avenue, looking toward the Capitol. The crews are working hard in the background while horses and carts line up to visit the clothing and shoe shops that line the road. Signs are visible for Carl Mayer Jeweler, Wright & Robinson, Mens Outfitters, Emil Risse art photographer, a commercial college and a laundry. A trolley car is visible in the distance.
[Edward Evans]
Photograph of Edward Evans, of the State Board of Control, trimming the Capitol shrubs.
[Elazar Tamayo and his wife, Lupe Tamayo]
Photograph of Elazar Tamayo and his wife, Lupe Tamayo, a Hispanic or Latino couple, visible from the waist up, standing in front of a building. Both appear to be in their late 50s or early 60s. He has salt-and-pepper hair and a moustache, and she has dark, wavy chin-length hair. She is wearing a sleeveless, open-collar cotton shirt, and he is wearing a button-front shirt with elbow-length sleeves. The 1976 Austin City Directory lists their residence as 1100 Lilly Terrace.
[Elephant Parade]
Photograph of a parade of circus elephants marching South down Congress Avenue. The Capitol building can be seen in the upper left corner of the photograph.
[Elisabet Ney Museum]
Photograph of the exterior of the Elisabet Ney Museum.
Elisabet Ney's Studio
Photograph of an exterior view of Elisabet Ney's Studio. The stone building has a classical style pediment. Two people are visible seated at a table to the side of the building. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Ellen (Kinnard) Alexander
Portrait of Ellen (Kinnard) Alexander seated in a rocking chair on a porch. Alexander was previously enslaved.
[Ellison Von Rosenberg General Store]
Photograph of the front exterior of Ellison Von Rosenberg General Merchandise store in Manchaca, Travis County. There are several people standing in front of the store and one man is sitting on a horse.
[Emancipation Day Celebration band, June 19, 1900]
Photograph of African-American band at Emancipation Day celebration, June 19, 1900, held in "East Woods" on East 24th Street in Austin. Mrs. Grace Murray Stephenson kept a diary of the day's events, which she later sold to the San Francisco Chronicle, which wrote a full-page feature on it.
[Emancipation Day Celebration, June 19, 1900]
Photograph of Emancipation Day celebration, June 19, 1900 held in "East Woods" on East 24th Street in Austin. Mrs. Grace Murray Stephenson also kept a diary of the day's events which she sold to the San Francisco Chronicle which reported a full-page feature on it.
[English lessons at the Pan American Recreation Center]
Photograph of a group of adults sitting around a table and read from "Elementary Reader - English" books during an English lesson at the Pan Am Rec Center. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
[Entrance to Memorial Park Cemetery]
Photograph of entrance to Memorial Park Cemetery, showing Sexton's residence and office.
[Eric Fitzpatrick Hula Hooping]
Photograph of a boy (Eric Fitzpatrick) hula hooping in Shipe Park in the local competition for the National Hula Hoop Contest. Behind him in the background are other children in their bathing suits watching him. The boy went to Nationals in Disneyland.
[Exterior Austin High School from the corner of 12th Street and Rio Grande Street]
Photograph of the exterior of the Austin High School Rio Grande Campus from the corner of 12th Street and Rio Grande Street looking north. A moon tower is visible on the corner and a lamp post is visible on the far right foreground. Trees are bare indicating fall or winter.
[Exterior David Crockett High School]
Photograph of exterior view of David Crockett High School at 5601 Manchaca Road at the corner of Stassney Lane. Crockett High opened in 1968 and is part of the Austin Independent School District.
[Exterior of Decker Methodist Church]
Photograph of the front exterior of Decker Methodist Church circa 1892. The church was built in 1879 and was moved in 1901. There is a large group standing in front of the church. Among those present are Reverend August Wallin, S.A. Lundell (grandfather of Mrs. Simon Swahn who was Hilma Johnson) and his brother Gustav Lundell, L.P. Swahn (father of Simon Swahn)and his brother C.J. Swahn, and F.G. Swenson.
[Exterior of Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of a northwest view of the exterior corner of the Driskill Hotel.
[Exterior of Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of a corner view of the Driskill Hotel taken from the southeast corner of 6th Sreet and Brazos.
[Exterior of Elisabet Ney Museum]
Photograph of the exterior of the Elisabet Ney Museum located at 304 East 44th Street. The house is made of stone and has a classical pediment and a tower. A flag is visible on the tower. The grounds are unkempt.In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
[Exterior of Elisabet Ney Studio]
Photograph of men, women, and children enjoy the outdoors outside of Elisabet Ney's sculpture studio. Bare tree branches and coats indicate the season is probably late fall or winter. This is the south elevation of the studio which is made of stone. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
[Exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of a side/rear exterior view of the Governor's Mansion looking northeast. The grounds and fire escape are shown, and the Capitol building is in the background.
[Exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of a southeast view of the corner exterior of the Governor's Mansion.
[Exterior of Lanier High School]
Photograph of exterior of Sidney Lanier High School on 1201 Payton Gin Road from Payton Gin Road. Five cars are parked in front of the school, and the flag poles are bare indicating the photograph was likely taken after school hours or on the weekend. The school name "Sidney Lanier High School" is visible on the front of the building above the white car facing the left of the image. Lanier High School was opened in 1961 and is a member of the Austin Independent School District. It was named after Confederate soldier and Southern poet Sidney Lanier.
[Exterior of Log Cabin]
Photograph of the exterior of a log cabin located beyond Oak Hill.
[Exterior of log cabin at Bohl's Place]
Photograph of the exterior of the log cabin at Bohl's Place. A bare tree stands on the side of the cabin. The cabin has a lifted, covered porch at the rear.
[Exterior of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church]
Photograph of the exterior of Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church at 1206 E. 9th Street.
[Exterior of the Carver Branch Library]
Photograph of exterior view of the Carver Branch library. This building is now part of the Carver Museum building; view shows the text on the Texas State Landmark marker.
Fairway No. 1 looking toward green
Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway number, 1 looking toward the green. There is a gradual downward slope with a few patches of visible sand. The fairway halfway down and the green itself are surrounded on three sides by small trees. A printed caption below the image says "Looking toward green No. 1." On the top right corner of the image, a corner of a second image is visible in the scan.
Fairway No 4. Looking toward Green
Photograph of rough brush on Austin Municipal Golf Course Fairway No. 4, facing the green. A printed caption below the image says "Fareway No. 4 Looking toward Green."
Fairway No. 7 Looking Toward Tee
Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway no. 7, looking toward tee. There is rough brush and a downward slope from the tee in the background to the foreground. A printed caption below the image says "Fareway No. 7 Looking toward Tee."
Fairway number six looking toward green
Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway number six, looking toward the green. Very rough ground with dust, tree stumps, and debris are the visible challenges of this hole; the green is not visible in the distance.
[Fairway number ten]
Photograph of a view of fairway number ten at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. A gradual right-leaning, downward slope and a row of short bushes are the visible challenges of this hole.
Fairway Number twelve Looking toward Green
Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway number twelve, looking toward the green. Heavy debris, tall grass, sand traps, and uneven terrain are the visible challenges. A man is standing on the right side of the image with his hands on his hips. A printed caption below the image says "Fareway No. 12 Looking toward Green."
[Family at Barton Springs]
Photograph of family portrait taken at Barton Springs.
"Fat & Lean" LULAC Fundraiser
Photograph of the "Fat and Lean" fundraiser for LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens). Nash Moreno, wearing a polka dot dress and a hat, is batting. A catcher stands behind her. Others stand in front of a fence and watch.
[Father and Daughter pose in front of Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of a father and daughter posing in front of the Texas State Capitol building. The man is wearing a boater hat.
[Female clothing hanging on a rope line in a Travis County Jail cell]
Photograph of a cell area in Travis County Jail with rope laundry line strung across the bars. The rope holds items of women's clothing, including a flowered shirt, embroidered pants, and other tops, pants and nylon underwear. On the floor below there are four pairs of boots, pairs of sandals, house shoes, and other street shoes. The cell behind the bars is stuffed with a variety of clothing items.
[Female inmate behind bars]
Photograph of a female inmate inside jail cell, sitting on bunk at Travis County Jail. She faces the interior of her dark cell. Her hair is in plastic curlers and her feet are bare. A blanket from the top bunk above her drapes low behind the bars, darkening the cell. A paperback book sits between the bars.
[Female Travis County Jail worker offering books to a female inmate]
Photograph of a female Travis County Jail librarian and female inmate. The librarian, on the left, is wearing a print shirt with pointed collar and holding three paperback books on top of a box of assorted paperbacks. The female inmate, who is on the right, reaches through the bars as she looks at the selections offered. Her hair is in plastic and foam rollers. A sewing machine and wooden shelving are visible in the background of the photograph.
[Field with Capitol in Background]
Photograph of a landscape view of a field in the foreground with the city skyline, including the Capitol dome, in the background. The field is now Zilker Park.
Fire escape at old Austin High School
Photograph of Hazel Smith, Nita Ebeling, Amanda Howze, Geraldine Cornelius, and their teacher on the fire escape at Austin High School. The teacher climbs out first.
[First Air Mail Plane]
Loading air mail on first mail plane to leave Robert Mueller Municipal Airport after dedication ceremonies. Adolph Koch, Niles Graham, P.R. James, Raymond Grasty, "Bub" Merrill, Bub's mother, Paul Cruseman, Lynn Hunter, Max Bickler, Bub's Father and others
[First Baptist Church at 120 W. 10th St.]
Photograph of the exterior of First Baptist Church at 120 West 10th Street.
[First Mexican Baptist Church]
Photograph of exterior view of the First Baptist Church located at 1110 Karen Street, Austin. A sign above the door reads "Primera Iglesia Bautista Mexicana."
Fishing Scene on Lake Travis
Photograph of a man in waders fishing in shallow water at Lake Travis in front of trees.
[Fiskville Stage Stop]
Photograph of Fiskville stage railroad stop being demolished. It was located at North Lamar at the south side of the creek by Payton Gin Road. It was the first stop north of Austin.