Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Female Travis County Jail worker offering books to a female inmate]

Description: Photograph of a female Travis County Jail librarian and female inmate. The librarian, on the left, is wearing a print shirt with pointed collar and holding three paperback books on top of a box of assorted paperbacks. The female inmate, who is on the right, reaches through the bars as she looks at the selections offered. Her hair is in plastic and foam rollers. A sewing machine and wooden shelving are visible in the background of the photograph.
Date: 1970~
Item Type: Photograph

[First Air Mail Plane]

Description: Loading air mail on first mail plane to leave Robert Mueller Municipal Airport after dedication ceremonies. Adolph Koch, Niles Graham, P.R. James, Raymond Grasty, "Bub" Merrill, Bub's mother, Paul Cruseman, Lynn Hunter, Max Bickler, Bub's Father and others
Date: October 14, 1930
Creator: Boone Photo Company
Item Type: Photograph

[Flag Ceremony]

Description: Photograph of a servicewoman transferring the Texas flag over to a serviceman as a contingent of women on the steps of the Capitol building look on. People watch in the background.
Date: 194u
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

[Ford Liberty Bell Fleet]

Description: Photograph of a Ford f-5 pickup truck with two service men and a woman along with model of the Liberty Bell in the back. Painted on the truck's bed rail is the motto "Save For YOUR Independence - Buy U.S. Savings Bonds." The truck is parked in front of the Texas Capitol building.
Date: [1941, 1945]
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

[Formal portrait of Travis County Sheriff Truitt O. Lang]

Description: Photograph of Travis County Sheriff T. O. Lang, who served from January 1, 1953 to December 31, 1972. He was the longest serving sheriff in Travis County history, and died April 28, 1977. This head-and-shoulders portrait is part of the Austin Citizen Collection. It shows Sheriff Lang dressed in a dark suit with a white shirt and a patterend tie, wearing glasses, with greying hair, and seated in front of a light neutral background. Lang also has a Masonic pin on his left lapel.
Date: 1970~
Creator: University Studio
Item Type: Photograph

[Four University of Texas at Austin football players in uniform with 1898 ball]

Description: Photograph of four University of Texas football players, three standing and one kneeling on one knee and holding an 1898 football. The photograph is mounted on a cabinet card. The UT student players are wearing uniforms consisting of dark turtleneck sweaters with a large "T" centered on the chest, quilted padded pants, shin guards and leather lace-up ankle boots. The reverse of the photograph notes that the photograph is from the James H. Hart Estate. Hart is standing at the far left in the photograph. James Hart was an end on the 1897 football team, a tackle on the 1898 team and captain on the 1899 team. He led UT to 23-5 mark during his four seasons, including 6-0 record in 1900. Hart also served as secretary of the athletic association, and editor in chief of the 1899 Cactus. He returned to UT football as coach in 1902, leading the Longhorns to a 6-3-1 record, and served 26 years as alumni representative to UT Athletics Council.
Date: 1898/1899-01-22
Creator: Journeay, William O.
Item Type: Photograph

[Frank Albrecht cleaning out Austin Athletic Club]

Description: Photograph of Frank Albrecht looking through a trash can of sporting equipment at the Austin Athletic Club. Large light fixtures, boxes, equipment bags, and other debrs is piled around him. A vending machine is visible on the left behind the open glass sliding doors. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1955
Item Type: Photograph

[Frank Albrecht in an equipment closet at the Austin Recreation Center]

Description: Photograph of Franch Albrecht putting a volleyball onto a top shelf in an activities closet at the Austin Athletic Club (renamed Austin Recreation Center in 1970). Various other items for activities are on the shelves such as checkers and ping-pong balls, as well as other supplies such as water sprinklers, paint, and electrical supplies. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1955
Item Type: Photograph

[Front entry of Governor's Mansion from grounds]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and south elevation showing the entry and grounds. Trees are in front of and partially obscure the upper screened porch of the mansion. The concrete stairs leading to the front porch have one metal handrail on the right. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1939 was Governor W. Lee O'Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1939
Creator: Sheilds, Marian
Item Type: Photograph

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and north elevation. The image shows the grounds and entry. The building has a dark downspout on this side of the building. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1967 was Governor John Connally. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1967
Item Type: Photograph

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor John Ireland. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1886
Item Type: Photograph

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor Lawrence Sullivan Ross. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1888
Creator: Hillyer, H. B.
Item Type: Photograph

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation and walkway leading up to the front door. The walkway is lined with shrubs, and there are evergreens at each side of the entry stairs. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1941 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1941
Creator: Austin Bureau of Identification Photo Lab
Item Type: Photograph

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of Texas Governor's Mansion front and south elevation, unpainted brick, with fence and grounds. The upper balcony is not connected to the columns. Built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1870 is Governor Edmund J. Davis. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1870
Item Type: Photograph

[Front Exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the front exterior of the Governor's Mansion. This view shows the east elevation and walkway, with large trees at the curb, screened porch, and carriage house is visible in background.
Date: 1941
Item Type: Photograph

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion with trees]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and south elevation showing the grounds and walkway, the stairs of which are bisected by a sidewalk. The upper porch is screened and partially obscured by a tree on the front lawn. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1955 was Governor Alan Shivers. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1955
Creator: Boone Photo
Item Type: Photograph

[Front view of Blackshear Elementary School, located at 1712 East 11th Street]

Description: Photograph of an oblique view of the front facade of Blackshear Elementary School, located at 1712 East 11th Street, which was constructed in 1936. A two story brick building with a flat roof, the school was named for Edward Lavernia Blackshear, a former administrative supervisor of Austin's African-American schools. The building is symetrically designed, with a central entrance. There are groups of 5 windows on the first and second floor, with decorative brickwork on the wall between the floors. The base of the building is lined with vegetation. In the lower right corner of the image, hands hold a chalk board sign that reads, "2-14 1-BLACKSHEAR".
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph