Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Elazar Tamayo and his wife, Lupe Tamayo]

Description: Photograph of Elazar Tamayo and his wife, Lupe Tamayo, a Hispanic or Latino couple, visible from the waist up, standing in front of a building. Both appear to be in their late 50s or early 60s. He has salt-and-pepper hair and a moustache, and she has dark, wavy chin-length hair. She is wearing a sleeveless, open-collar cotton shirt, and he is wearing a button-front shirt with elbow-length sleeves. The 1976 Austin City Directory lists their residence as 1100 Lilly Terrace.
Date: 1970~
Creator: Penzenstadler, Joan

Elisabet Ney's Studio

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of Elisabet Ney's Studio. The stone building has a classical style pediment. Two people are visible seated at a table to the side of the building. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: 1893

[Emancipation Day Celebration band, June 19, 1900]

Description: Photograph of African-American band at Emancipation Day celebration, June 19, 1900, held in "East Woods" on East 24th Street in Austin. Mrs. Grace Murray Stephenson kept a diary of the day's events, which she later sold to the San Francisco Chronicle, which wrote a full-page feature on it.
Date: June 19, 1900
Creator: Stephenson, Mrs. Charles (Grace Murray)

[Emancipation Day Celebration, June 19, 1900]

Description: Photograph of Emancipation Day celebration, June 19, 1900 held in "East Woods" on East 24th Street in Austin. Mrs. Grace Murray Stephenson also kept a diary of the day's events which she sold to the San Francisco Chronicle which reported a full-page feature on it.
Date: June 19, 1900
Creator: Stephenson, Mrs. Charles (Grace Murray)

[English lessons at the Pan American Recreation Center]

Description: Photograph of a group of adults sitting around a table and read from "Elementary Reader - English" books during an English lesson at the Pan Am Rec Center. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: 19uu
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin

[Eric Fitzpatrick Hula Hooping]

Description: Photograph of a boy (Eric Fitzpatrick) hula hooping in Shipe Park in the local competition for the National Hula Hoop Contest. Behind him in the background are other children in their bathing suits watching him. The boy went to Nationals in Disneyland.
Date: 1972
Creator: Austin Citizen

[Exterior of Decker Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the front exterior of Decker Methodist Church circa 1892. The church was built in 1879 and was moved in 1901. There is a large group standing in front of the church. Among those present are Reverend August Wallin, S.A. Lundell (grandfather of Mrs. Simon Swahn who was Hilma Johnson) and his brother Gustav Lundell, L.P. Swahn (father of Simon Swahn)and his brother C.J. Swahn, and F.G. Swenson.
Date: 1892~

[Exterior of Elisabet Ney Museum]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of the Elisabet Ney Museum located at 304 East 44th Street. The house is made of stone and has a classical pediment and a tower. A flag is visible on the tower. The grounds are unkempt.In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: 19uu

[Exterior of Elisabet Ney Studio]

Description: Photograph of men, women, and children enjoy the outdoors outside of Elisabet Ney's sculpture studio. Bare tree branches and coats indicate the season is probably late fall or winter. This is the south elevation of the studio which is made of stone. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: [..1910]

[Exterior of Lanier High School]

Description: Photograph of exterior of Sidney Lanier High School on 1201 Payton Gin Road from Payton Gin Road. Five cars are parked in front of the school, and the flag poles are bare indicating the photograph was likely taken after school hours or on the weekend. The school name "Sidney Lanier High School" is visible on the front of the building above the white car facing the left of the image. Lanier High School was opened in 1961 and is a member of the Austin Independent School District. It was named after Confederate soldier and Southern poet Sidney Lanier.
Date: [1970, 1989]
Creator: Williamson, Nolen E.