Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 1,130 Matching Results

Search Results

[Eric Fitzpatrick Hula Hooping]

Description: Photograph of a boy (Eric Fitzpatrick) hula hooping in Shipe Park in the local competition for the National Hula Hoop Contest. Behind him in the background are other children in their bathing suits watching him. The boy went to Nationals in Disneyland.
Date: 1972
Creator: Austin Citizen

[Exterior of Decker Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the front exterior of Decker Methodist Church circa 1892. The church was built in 1879 and was moved in 1901. There is a large group standing in front of the church. Among those present are Reverend August Wallin, S.A. Lundell (grandfather of Mrs. Simon Swahn who was Hilma Johnson) and his brother Gustav Lundell, L.P. Swahn (father of Simon Swahn)and his brother C.J. Swahn, and F.G. Swenson.
Date: 1892~

[Exterior of Elisabet Ney Museum]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of the Elisabet Ney Museum located at 304 East 44th Street. The house is made of stone and has a classical pediment and a tower. A flag is visible on the tower. The grounds are unkempt.In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: 19uu

[Exterior of Elisabet Ney Studio]

Description: Photograph of men, women, and children enjoy the outdoors outside of Elisabet Ney's sculpture studio. Bare tree branches and coats indicate the season is probably late fall or winter. This is the south elevation of the studio which is made of stone. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: [..1910]

[Exterior of Lanier High School]

Description: Photograph of exterior of Sidney Lanier High School on 1201 Payton Gin Road from Payton Gin Road. Five cars are parked in front of the school, and the flag poles are bare indicating the photograph was likely taken after school hours or on the weekend. The school name "Sidney Lanier High School" is visible on the front of the building above the white car facing the left of the image. Lanier High School was opened in 1961 and is a member of the Austin Independent School District. It was named after Confederate soldier and Southern poet Sidney Lanier.
Date: [1970, 1989]
Creator: Williamson, Nolen E.

Fairway No. 1 looking toward green

Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway number, 1 looking toward the green. There is a gradual downward slope with a few patches of visible sand. The fairway halfway down and the green itself are surrounded on three sides by small trees. A printed caption below the image says "Looking toward green No. 1." On the top right corner of the image, a corner of a second image is visible in the scan.
Date: 19uu

Fairway Number twelve Looking toward Green

Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course fairway number twelve, looking toward the green. Heavy debris, tall grass, sand traps, and uneven terrain are the visible challenges. A man is standing on the right side of the image with his hands on his hips. A printed caption below the image says "Fareway No. 12 Looking toward Green."
Date: 19uu

[Farmworkers Demonstration]

Description: Photograph of a farmworkers demonstration with protesters marching up Congress Avenue towards the Capitol building, which is visible in the background. Different businesses line the left side of the street, and cars are parked on both sides of the street.
Date: unknown