Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 41 - 64 of 747 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century.
Description: Photograph of an illustration by Edward Hall of a city plan for the Texas Government buildings in Austin. Architectural renderings of buildings can be found on the top half of the illustration. Handwritten on the photograph is a list of buildings that are seen in the plan including: the President's House, Capitol Hill and Bullock's Tavern.
Creator: Bill Malone Photography
Description: Photograph of Austin Community Garden looking towards the airport. Rows of plants and a string fence separating rows are visible in the foreground. The airport control tower, airplanes and gates are visible behind the chain-link fence in the background.
Date: September 1975
Creator: Fluitt, Mike
Description: Photograph of Southeast view of the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
Creator: Marks, H.R.
Description: Photograph of the twenty-four students in the Austin High School class of 1907. Bottom row (left to right): Ernest von Rosenberg, Tom Byrne, Harwood Stacey, Eugene Hill, Offie Leonard. Middle row (left to right): Arthur Crawford, Irene Maddox, Lillian Krohn, Eva von Homeyer, Louise Smith, Elva Powell, Amelia Nelson, Mabel Harrison, William Ruggles. Back row standing (left to right): Harris Brush, Mary Thaxton, Juanita Yarbrough, Leona Dean, Esther Bishop, Anna Maxwell, Josephine McGuire, P.J. Anthony, and William Jackson. Not present: Johanna Runge and Windom Burke.
Description: Photograph of the Austin High School graduating class of 1908. Bottom row (left to right): John D. Miller, Ralph Goeth. Middle row (seated left to right): Walter Arlitt, Julius Runge, Robert F. Campbell, M.E. Rogers Jr., Raymond Phelps, Robert Bright, Rufus Waterson. Middle row (standing left to right): Lucy Blocker, Pauline von Rosenberg, Pauline Rex, Katie Clark, Laura Tucker, Janie Tannehill, Inez Slaughter, Salome Anthony, Lomie Layton, Louise Lambie, Cammie Briggs, May Belle Robbins, Lillian Clarke, Nannie von Rosenberg. Back row (standing left to right): Annie F. Campbell, Frankie Cochran, Florence Sears, Lena Rogan, Anna Magee, Agnes Robertson, Edna von Rosenberg, Mabel Maud. Absent: Nettie B. Sullivan (inset bottom right), Rosa Maas, and Preston Reynolds (not pictured).
Description: Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground.
Description: Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Date: April 13, 1896
Description: Photograph of Austin High R.O.T.C. in 1968. (This is a portion of a panoramic AR.U.006(235) Panoramic Collection; section 4 of 6). Austin High School opened in 1881 and was the first public high school in Texas. In 1968 the campus was located at 1212 Rio Grande Street.
Date: August 1968
Description: Photograph of the 1914 Austin High School senior picnic, showing a group of young men and women standing on stone steps leading down to Barton Springs pool. There is a curved stone wall behind the steps, with a large stone relief star, similar to the Texas seal. The women are dressed in long skirts, and some are wearing hats. The men are wearing light shirts, ties and dark trousers, and some are also wearing hats.
Description: Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the school library at Austin High School. They are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The view is taken through an ornamental wrought iron arch, featuring scrolls, a Texas star and the letters "AHS" at each top corner. The iron work may be attributable to the Weigl Iron Works, a local business known for architectural and decorative iron work.
Description: Photograph of the Austin Municipal Airport. A Braniff Airways Inc. airplane is in the center of the photograph. There is a Humble aviation gasoline and lubricants pump in the photograph.
Date: October 22, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Library
Description: Photograph of the caretaker's house at the Austin municipal golf course. The house is made of white brick with several screened windows and a screen door facing a concrete patio. A wooden ladder leans on the side of the house to the roof. Construction debris litters the grassless yard. A shed sits behind the house. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 14, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course Club House front elevation. Screened double doors, a columned entrance, and gable windows are visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Description: Photograph of an open fairway at the Austin Municipal Golf Course on Lake Austin Boulevard, with trees and other vegetation framing the grass surface. Unpaved trails lead to the fairway, and a small house is visible in the distance. The designation "#3" appears in the lower right hand corner of the image.
Description: Photograph of city of Austin park rangers. Front row (seated) left to right: G. Edward, D. Youngblood, R. Hotte, M. Mullinix. Back Row (standing) left to right: J. McCowin, B. Wright, L. Manley, (unidentified), G. Hooks, and (unidentified).
Description: Photograph of three men (Jack Knott, Hank Oana, and E.P. Knebel) standing under a sign resembling a baseball that reads "Austin Pioneers Baseball, Austin Baseball Club INC. Big State League." The two outside men are looking up at the sign while the one in the middle is pointing up at it. A sign for GA Simms Seafoods is visible in the background.
Description: Exterior view of the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary building, located on the 2200 block of Nueces Street.
Description: Group portrait of children posed for a portrait outside of a wood framed building. They wear costumes as if dressed for a school play. Many wear tunics with a large, round flower petal collar and a flower on the chest and one boy to the left holds an oversized flower. The building is a basic square design with a large window at the center of each quarter. Note that 200 Nueces and 717 West Ave. are written on the back.