Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Opening of the Pan American Recreation Center

Description: Photograph of the interior of the basketball court in the gymnasium at the opening of Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin

Our Lady of Guadalupe [graduating class of 1953]

Description: Photograph of the graduating class of 1953 of Our Lady of Guadalupe School in Austin, Texas. The class is composed of twelve young women and five young men, all proudly holding their diplomas. They are posed in two rows, women seated in the front row and men and women standing in the second row. All wear dark gown and mortar board caps with white tassels.
Date: May 15, 1953
Creator: Douglass, Neal

Outdoor Reception, Fashion Show and Buffet

Description: Photograph of two women wearing pastel-colored dresses, seated around a round table on a lawn. The table has a pink tablecloth and an umbrella with pink and blue striped fabric; there are dishes at several places around the table. A stone wall and strubs are visible behind them.
Date: January 1, 1946
Creator: Douglass, Neal