Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 6,995 Matching Results

Search Results

Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin for 1897-1898

Description: "Containing the present state, county and city governments, and a complete list of all postoffices and money order offices in Texas; also an index of societies, associations, churches, corporations, educational institutes; full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits, and a complete classified business directory. Also a valuable street and avenue guide.
Date: 1897
Creator: Morrison & Fourmy

[Motorists stranded in flood waters]

Description: Photograph of "stranded motorists attempting to remove their cars from 4 feet of water under an overpass of the MoPac Expressway in the western part of the city. Over 4.5 inches of rain late Monday 5/21 caused flooding in the downtown area." Men are standing, some waist-deep in water, outside of their vehicles.
Date: May 21, 1979
Creator: Kolvoord, Larry

Mount Bonnell, Austin, Texas

Description: Photograph of two men at a cliff at Mount Bonnell looking at the view. A lake is visible below. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads, "Mount Bonnell - Austin, Texas. Looking North on Lake Austin." The photograph is a cyanotype.
Date: unknown

[Moving large parts into Seaholm Power Plant]

Description: Photograph of men moving a large piece of machinery into Seaholm Power Plant near Town Lake. A large crane hook is supporting the machinery part with four massive cables. The cylindrical component is sitting on a track which is moving through a trench into the plant. Three workers check the cables from on top of the cylinder, and several other men monitor the progress from the ground. The Seaholm Power Plant was designed by Burns & McDonell Engineering Co. and built in two phases by Odom Construction company in 1950 and 1955 at 800 West Cesar Chavez St in Austin, Texas. The plant was dedicated posthumously to Walter E. Seaholm in recognition of his 33-year service to the city of Austin as Superintendent of Water and Light and City Manager. The plant operated as a power source until 1989. The city of Austin authorized the decommissioning of the plant in 1996. In 2000 the city commissioned a District Master Plan for the site, and in 2008 it approved a plan by Seaholm Power Development, LLC to repurpose the buildings into retail, residential, and outdoor spaces.
Date: January 6, 1951