Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 461 - 484 of 754 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of an illustration depicting The New Capitol of Texas. There is a description of what the new Capitol will look like and images influential people, places and events line both sides of the illustration. Pictured clockwise from top left to right is David Crockett, Gen. Sam Houston, Mirabeau B. Lamar, Stephen F. Austin, Old Capitol, Houston, Storming of the Alamo, and David G. Burnet.
Description: Photograph of President Thos. J White and a major portion of annual Officers and Directors of the Organization, 1909. Emancipation Park was an effort to purchase private property where African-Americans could celebrate Juneteenth or Emancipation Day without resistance from white citizens.
Description: Photograph of a group of men, the officials of the Mexican Consul General and the Cámara de Trabajadores Mexicans (CTM) Local No. 7 of Austin, Texas at Parque Zaragoza. From left: José Verasteguí, Eustasio Cepeda, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Benjamin Lugo (in white shirt), unidentified, Felix Gonzales Monteón, José Guadalupe Pineda (Consul General of Mexico in San Antonio), Arturo Aleman, and Roberto Pedraza. At rear of group (far right) is Ignacio Acosta.
Date: April 26, 1942
Description: Photograph of the old Anderson High School for Negro students, a two story wood frame building located in the 900 block of Olive Street at the northeast corner of Olive and Curve Streets. Anderson was a segregated school created for colored students. The building appears to be an "L" configuration, with a small porch at the inside corner of the "L", 6/6 wood windows, a wood shingle roof and a brick chimney. Used from 1908 to 1912, the building appears to have been originally constructed as a residential structure. The school was named in honor of Professor E. H. Anderson, the second principal of Prairie View State College, and one of the pioneer educators of the state.
Description: Photograph of the recently completed building that housed Austin High School from 1900 to 1925 and the John T. Allan Junior High School from 1925 until it was destroyed by a fire. Note that the photograph is mounted on cardboard backing and written on the back is the name J. E. Pearce.
Description: Photograph of a tilted view of the east facade of a boiler room at the old Austin Power Plant, near the site of the existing Seaholm Power Plant at 800 West Cezar Chavez Street. The concrete building has metal commercial windows and a vent stack is visible to the left of the building. A railroad bridge is visible in the background. Constructed during the 1930s, this building was demolished in the 1960s. A rubber stamp on the verso of the print reads: "BOONE's, FEB 25 1942, Austin, Texas". Boone Photo Company offered both photo finishing and commercial photography services.
Date: February 25, 1942
Creator: Boone Photo Company
Description: Photograph of the Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon and firemen outside of Texas State Capitol building taken from 11th Street and Colorado Street looking east. The Hook and Ladder Wagon is drawn by two horses.
Date: June 7, 1895
Description: Photograph of the Old Red Campus building, John T. Allan Campus of Stephen F. Austin High School. The building is a large two-story brick structure. Nearly all the windows are open.
Description: Photograph of Old Red Campus building, at the John T. Allan Campus of Stephen F. Austin High School, showing an oblique view of the front and side of the classical four-story building. The exterior walls of the first floor are constructed of stone and the upper three floors are dark brick. The front is symetrically arranged in three parts, with the central part inset from the outer parts. Porches stretch across the central part of the first and second floors, and a gable is centered above on the roof. There are punched windows on the upper floors of the front facade, while windows are ganged on the side facade. A portion of the facade, near the back of the building, has a curved wall. There is a three-story brick addition to the side of the building, and there are chute style fire escapes on both the main building and the addition. A parking lot lies to the front of the building, with several circa 1920s cars. A boy wearing knickers stands in the parking lot. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily, and featured a domed rotunda. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission.
Creator: Jordan-Ellison Photo Company
Description: Exterior view of the Old Red Campus building, John T. Allan Campus of Stephen F. Austin High School. One car is parked outside of it.
Description: Photograph of a man wearing a checked shirt and a neutral expression seated at a table with a sheet birthday cake decorated with icing flowers, scolloped and shell borders, and the words "Happy Birthday Johnny San James". In his right hand he holds an open can of Schlitz beer.
Creator: Penzenstadler, Joan
Description: Photograph of the side of the newly built Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. Swing sets are behind the building. The previous Pan Am Rec Center existed at 3rd and Comal Streets. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Description: Photograph of the interior of the basketball court in the gymnasium at the opening of Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: September 1956
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Description: Photograph of second floor interior view of the Lester E. Palmer Municipal Auditorium during construction.
Description: Photograph of lobby interior, ramps and exterior glass curtain wall of the Palmer Municipal Auditorium just prior to completion in 1958. Also visible are the decorative terrazzo floor, aluminum pendant light fixtures, and drinking fountains on the far wall. The Auditorium was designed by Page, Southerland and Page, with Jessen, Jessen, Millhouse & Greeven consulting architects.