Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED
Austin High School graduates of 1908
Photograph of the Austin High School graduating class of 1908. Bottom row (left to right): John D. Miller, Ralph Goeth. Middle row (seated left to right): Walter Arlitt, Julius Runge, Robert F. Campbell, M.E. Rogers Jr., Raymond Phelps, Robert Bright, Rufus Waterson. Middle row (standing left to right): Lucy Blocker, Pauline von Rosenberg, Pauline Rex, Katie Clark, Laura Tucker, Janie Tannehill, Inez Slaughter, Salome Anthony, Lomie Layton, Louise Lambie, Cammie Briggs, May Belle Robbins, Lillian Clarke, Nannie von Rosenberg. Back row (standing left to right): Annie F. Campbell, Frankie Cochran, Florence Sears, Lena Rogan, Anna Magee, Agnes Robertson, Edna von Rosenberg, Mabel Maud. Absent: Nettie B. Sullivan (inset bottom right), Rosa Maas, and Preston Reynolds (not pictured).
Austin High School Hayne Society, 1920
Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground.
Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896
Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Austin High [School] R.O.T.C., 1968
Photograph of Austin High R.O.T.C. in 1968. (This is a portion of a panoramic AR.U.006(235) Panoramic Collection; section 4 of 6). Austin High School opened in 1881 and was the first public high school in Texas. In 1968 the campus was located at 1212 Rio Grande Street.
[Austin High School Senior Class Picnic at Barton Springs]
Photograph of the 1914 Austin High School senior picnic, showing a group of young men and women standing on stone steps leading down to Barton Springs pool. There is a curved stone wall behind the steps, with a large stone relief star, similar to the Texas seal. The women are dressed in long skirts, and some are wearing hats. The men are wearing light shirts, ties and dark trousers, and some are also wearing hats.
[Austin High School students read at long tables in the school library, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the school library at Austin High School. They are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The view is taken through an ornamental wrought iron arch, featuring scrolls, a Texas star and the letters "AHS" at each top corner. The iron work may be attributable to the Weigl Iron Works, a local business known for architectural and decorative iron work.
[Austin Municipal Airport]
Photograph of the Austin Municipal Airport. A Braniff Airways Inc. airplane is in the center of the photograph. There is a Humble aviation gasoline and lubricants pump in the photograph.
[Austin Municipal Golf Course] caretaker's house
Photograph of the caretaker's house at the Austin municipal golf course. The house is made of white brick with several screened windows and a screen door facing a concrete patio. A wooden ladder leans on the side of the house to the roof. Construction debris litters the grassless yard. A shed sits behind the house. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Municipal Golf Course club house]
Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course Club House front elevation. Screened double doors, a columned entrance, and gable windows are visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Municipal Golf Course - Fairway View]
Photograph of an open fairway at the Austin Municipal Golf Course on Lake Austin Boulevard, with trees and other vegetation framing the grass surface. Unpaved trails lead to the fairway, and a small house is visible in the distance. The designation "#3" appears in the lower right hand corner of the image.
[Austin park rangers]
Photograph of city of Austin park rangers. Front row (seated) left to right: G. Edward, D. Youngblood, R. Hotte, M. Mullinix. Back Row (standing) left to right: J. McCowin, B. Wright, L. Manley, (unidentified), G. Hooks, and (unidentified).
[Austin Pioneers, Austin Baseball Club, Inc.]
Photograph of three men (Jack Knott, Hank Oana, and E.P. Knebel) standing under a sign resembling a baseball that reads "Austin Pioneers Baseball, Austin Baseball Club INC. Big State League." The two outside men are looking up at the sign while the one in the middle is pointing up at it. A sign for GA Simms Seafoods is visible in the background.
[Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary building]
Exterior view of the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary building, located on the 2200 block of Nueces Street.
Austin Primary School
Group portrait of children posed for a portrait outside of a wood framed building. They wear costumes as if dressed for a school play. Many wear tunics with a large, round flower petal collar and a flower on the chest and one boy to the left holds an oversized flower. The building is a basic square design with a large window at the center of each quarter. Note that 200 Nueces and 717 West Ave. are written on the back.
[Austin Public Library]
Photograph of the interior of the public library building located at 819 Congress Avenue on the second floor above the newspaper Pressler and Ziller on March 7, 1933. The library opened at this location on February 16, 1926. Grace Delano Clark served as volunteer librarian. Shortly thereafter, the library moved to its first building on West 9th street and Guadalupe street. "Gossip" written and underlined beneath date on back of photo.
[Austin Public Library, Carver Branch]
Photograph of the Carver Branch of the Austin Public Library.
[Austin School Bus with group of students and teachers in front of Austin High School, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of a group of students, teachers and Arthur N. McCallum, superintendent of Austin Public Schools, standing with an Austin School Bus in front of the Austin High School campus at 1202 Rio Grande. McCallum would later have an Austin high school named for him.
[Austin Skyline]
Photograph of the Austin skyline taken from the top of the Light Plant.
Austin, "The Friendly City"
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol. The photograph appeared on the front of a card given out by the Austin Chamber of Commerce. The back of the card reads as follows, "This Card Certifies that Geo. A. Newgent representing A. J. Maloney Co is a member in good standing of the Austin Chamber of Commerce". The card is signed by the president and the manager of the Austin Chamber of Commerce and states that it will expire Dec. 31, 1949.
[Austin, TX]
Photograph of the city of Austin looking northeast from the Calcasieu Lumber Company. The Walter Tips Co. Hardware store can be seen on the north side of the street.
[Austin, TX]
Photograph of Austin, TX taken from the southeast. US-81 and the Holly St. exit ramp sign are in the photograph.
Austin - Views from Capitol
View of Austin from the Capitol Building with the Governor's Mansion visible.
[Austin Volunteer Fire Department]
Photograph of the Austin Volunteer Fire Department on parade down Congress Avenue.
[Austin White Lime Company]
Photograph of the exterior of Austin White Lime Company. There is a man walking in front of the building and there are lime kilns in the background.
Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association at Municipal Golf Course
Photograph of Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and spectators at start of drive.The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and family at Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a family of four featuring an AWPLGA golfer, her husband, son, and daughter, on fairway during an AWPLGA tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]
Photograph of a woman golfer in view between tree branches at the AWPLGA tournament at Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer swinging at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]
Photograph of a golfer swinging on a drive at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of four golfers standing on the green at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association trophy at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]
Photograph of a trophy awarded at the AWPLGA tournamen at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators are visible in the background. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Volunteer Service]
Portriat of Mrs. L. B. Griffith, Chairman Austin Womens Volunteer Service; Miss Dolly Maude Harris; Mrs. Betty Anne Coffman, delivering Austin Telephone Directory.
Austin's First Ambulance
Photograph of Austin's first ambulance taken at 33rd and Speedway streets. The ambulance is horse-drawn and on the side, in addition to a cross, is a small plaque that reads "V.O. Weed." On the back of the photograph there is a note that reads "Mr. Bob Weed says that the body of this horse-drawn ambulance was removed and motorized with the coming of the auto-mobile, therefore it became Austin's first real ambulance."
Avoid this in fairway No. 2
Photograph of a man standing in a sand trap to show how deep it is, on fairway number two at Austin Municipal Golf Course. A typed caption under the image says "Avoid this in Fareway No. 2."
[Awards at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a woman being presented with a trophy on green at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators stand to the right. A man operates a camera in the bed of a truck on the left. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[AWPGLA at Muny]
Group portrait of ladies from the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association. They hold a poster reading "Light up with Jax."
AWPLGA at Muny
Group portrait of golfers from AWPLGA, the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association, drinking Jax beer. The stand outside under some strands of lights. A small truck is in the foreground.
[Back view of Blackshear Elementary School, located at 1712 East 11th Street]
Photograph of the back of Blackshear Elementary School, which is located at 1712 East 11th Street and backs onto Lawson Lane and was constructed in 1936. A two story brick building with a flat roof, the school was named for Edward Lavernia Blackshear, a former administrative supervisor of Austin's African-American schools. The building is symetrically designed, with groups of windows on the first and second floors. In the lower right corner of the image, hands hold a chalk board sign that reads, "2-14 5-BLACKSHEAR". There is a wood frame buidling in the background with a 7-Up sign over the entrance. A street sign in the foreground reads Lawson Lane and what appears to be Botson Street.
[Baptist Church and Capitol Building]
Photograph of the first church building used by the Baptist Church (left) and the 1853 Capitol building (right).
[Bar at Scholz Beer Garten]
Photograph of four employees of Scholz Beer Garten standing behind the bar.
[Barton Springs]
Photograph of a crowd of ladies watching two men with large pots on the steps of Barton Springs.
[Barton Springs]
Photograph of Barton Springs.
Barton Springs during the First World War
Photograph of men and women in bathing suits at Barton Springs during World War I.
[Bathers at Barton Springs pool]
Photograph of a large group of bathers in and around the waters of Barton Springs pool. The diving platform is on the right bank.
[Bathers at Barton Springs Pool]
Photograph of bathers standing and splashing in Barton Springs wading pool near the waterfall.
[Bathers at Deep Eddy]
Photograph of Deep Eddy swimming pool looking northwest towards the dressing rooms. People swimming, others sitting on the edge of the pool. View from the deep end of the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin.
Ben Hur Steamboat
Photograph of the Ben Hur steamboat from the Lake Navigation Company. The decks are full of people and hills are visible in the distance.
Bergstrom Air Force Base [aerial view]
Photograph of aerial view of Bergstrom Air Force Base. Fog obscures landscape behind the base. Runways and buildings on the base are visible as well as some roads surrounding the base. Bergstrom Air Force Base was activated during in 1942 as a troop carrier training airfield. During the Cold War, it served as a Strategic Air Command base. Later, it transferred to the Tactical Air Command and became a major base for the U.S. Air Force's RF-4C reconnaissance fighter fleet. At the time of its closure, it was assigned to the Air Combat Command (ACC). The airfield was then converted for civilian use, with Austin-Bergstrom International Airport beginning passenger flights in 1999.
[Beverly S. Sheffield at desk]
Photograph of Beverly Sheffield sitting at his desk. He holds a fountain pen above some papers. Sheffield wears a short-sleeved, button-up shirt and has glasses. A phone sits at his left elbow. His desk sits near a wall with two windows and a radiator. His name plate reads "B. S. Sheffield."
[Big Foot Wallace's Headstone at State Cemetery]
Photograph of the State Cemetery. Big Foot Wallace's headstone is in the foreground.
Birds Eye Map of Austin
Birds eye map of Austin showing downtown, the river, and the University of Texas main building.