Boyce Ditto Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[An Aerial Picture of Downtown Mineral Wells]

Description: An aerial picture of downtown Mineral Wells is shown here. The Baker Hotel (right middle of picture) and the Crazy Hotel (left middle) are included in it. Note: The "Welcome" sign was moved from its original location on the hill behind the Baker Hotel in 1972. It was moved to the east side of Bald Mountain which is due east of the Baker and now called Welcome Mountain, just above and to the right of the Baker Hotel, where it remains today. The Damron Hotel (shown one block this side, west of the Baker, in this picture) burned in 1975, thus dating this photograph to an era between 1972 and 1975.
Date: April 29, 1967

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells, Texas]

Description: An aerial view of Mineral Wells, Texas, taken by A. F. Weaver on April 29, 1967 looks North on Oak Avenue. Identifiable in the picture are the Baker Hotel to the middle right of the picture, The Crazy Hotel in the middle left, the old Post Office (now the Ladies Club) one block north of The Baker, and the Nazareth Hospital (one block left of The Crazy Hotel). Also in the picture are now-destroyed buildings: The Damron Hotel (just left of center), the Baker Water Storage Building (mid-upper right, small white building just to right of Baker Hotel), the Oxford Hotel (just right of center, now [2008] Lynch Plaza) and the Convention Hall(upper left).
Date: January 21, 1964
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[First Christian Church]

Description: Typed on the back photograph is: THIS PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY A.F. WEAVER 1901 N. W. 6TH AVE. MINERAL WELLS, TEXAS DATE JUL 27, 1964. It is a view of the limestone church occupying the site of the former Gibson Well Park and Pavilion. Some of the rock used in this church came from owners of the historic Rock Pens on Dillingham Prairie.
Date: July 27, 1964
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[First Christian Church]

Description: On the back of photograph is typed: THIS PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY, A. F. WEAVER 1901 N. W. 6TH AVENUE MINERAL WELLS TEXAS DATE JUL 27 1964. The First Christian church occupies the site of the former Gibson Well Park and Pavilion in the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue (the address on the photograph was A.F. Weaver's home.) Some of the limestone used to build the church was donated by latter-day owners of the historic Rock Pens on Dillingham Prairie, where the first meeting of the Northwest Texas Cattle Raisers' Association was held in 1876. Oliver Loving's son, J.C. Loving, wrote a letter to northwest Texas ranchers after the meeting, inviting them to meet the following February in Graham, where the Association was organized. C.C. Slaughter, once the richest man in Texas, owned the Rock Pens at the time of the Stock Raisers' meeting.
Date: July 27, 1964
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[General William C. Westmoreland meets with press]

Description: Photograph of General William C. Westmoreland, Army Chief of Staff, meeting with some of the local press during his visit to Fort Wolters. General Westmoreland is in uniform, standing behind a podium with several microphones pointed towards him. On the wood-paneled wall behind him is a large, hanging insignia, reading, "Above The Finest."
Date: June 21, 1969
Creator: Herbert, H. Key

[Photograph of Eric Sevareid]

Description: Head-shot of CBS newsman Eric Sevareid. Mr. Sevareid is wearing a suit with a dark tie and a dark pocket-square. He is sitting in front of a light-colored background. On the back of the photograph are a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address and handwritten notes, including one that reads, "12/15/61."
Date: December 15, 1961

[Photograph of General James K. Woolnough]

Description: Head-shot of Commanding General in the US Army James K. Woolnough. The general is in uniform and is sitting against a light-colored background. On the back of the photograph are typewritten information about the photo (such as the photo's subject, photographer, etc.), a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address, and handwritten notes.
Date: July 5, 1967
Creator: Jameson, E.

[Photograph of General Mark W. Clark]

Description: Photograph of retired US Army General Mark. W. Clark. The general is sitting at a desk in uniform. On the desk are two upright-standing pens, a small knick-knack shaped like a man, and a desk sign with General Clark's name and rank. Behind him, two standing flags are visible. On the back of the photograph are a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address and handwritten notes, including one that reads, "1966."
Date: 1966

[Photograph of Lawrence J. Lincoln, Commanding Lieutenant General]

Description: Photograph of Commanding Lieutenant General Lawrence J. Lincoln. He is in uniform, sitting at a desk with an American flag in the background. His uniform bears small emblems and awards, including his colors. On the back of the photograph are stamped, typewritten, and handwritten notes.
Date: July 31, 1967
Creator: Turner, Raymond

[Photograph of Major General Robert R. Williams]

Description: Head-shot of Major General Robert R. Williams, Director of Army Aviation. The Major General is in uniform and sits in front of a dark background. On the back of the photograph are typewritten notes, a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address, and a handwritten note that reads, "60%."
Date: March 14, 1967
Creator: Porter, Oscar E.