Boyce Ditto Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Poston's Dry Goods, 8 of 15: Royal Society Display Case]

Description: The Royal Society embroidery and tatting thread display case with its owner, Will Poston standing next to it, is shown in the photograph. Poston Dry Goods stood at 107 N. Oak Avenue, in Mineral Wells, Texas.
Date: 1975
Creator: A.F. Weaver

Camp Wolters - Texas

Description: Illustrated here is a panoramic view of Camp Wolters, Texas. Labels on photograph identify (left to right) Area No. 4, Sports Arena, Service Club, Area No. 5, Area No. 3, Area No. 2, and Area No.1. Platoons of soldiers are marching on the left side of the photograph.
Date: 1945
Creator: Camp Wolters Studio

[ A Street Scene]

Description: This picture comes from one of 17 (4X4) negatives that were found in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069), postmarked Aug. 4, 1975, and addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography. Also on the envelope, are some telephone numbers and "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield.) The scene is believed to show some of the large homes on the east slope of West Mountain, in the 600 block of NW 6th Street, taken at about the time of their construction. The home in the foreground appears to be the site of the former Episcopal Parsonage (the church adjoins the parsonage to the north (left of the picture).
Date: unknown
Creator: Clarence Winfield Simonds

Street Parade / West Texas C. of C. Convention / Mineral Wells 1925

Description: A parade on North Oak Avenue in Mineral Wells, Texas is the subject of this picture. Businesses partaking of it include Poston Dry Goods, a bath house, the Hexagon Hotel, Palace Drugs, American Cafe, and the Caldwell Hotel. American flags, Texas flags, and various banners are hanging from the buildings. The parade is moving south (while the picture is looking north) on N. Oak Avenue, at its intersection with SE 1st Street It was held during the West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention of 1925. The photograph bears the colophon of the Basil Clemens Photo Company of Breckenridge, Texas.
Date: unknown
Creator: Clemons, Basil

[The St. Nicholas Hotel]

Description: A group of men stand in front of the St. Nicholas Hotel. A colophon at the lower right designates this picture as a photographic souvenir from Minerals Wells, taken by Dan W. Evans. The building had a varied history. It was first (in 1904) an unnamed two-and-one-half-story sanitarium, then re-named the St. Nicholas Hotel, and then later it became the Delaware Hotel. It was located at N. Oak and NE 3rd Street. The building was eventually consumed by fire on October of 1907. The back of photograph has a T and P Railway logotype and this information about the Jericho Fine Photo Company: "Mountain and Donkey Groups, View Souvenirs and Scenery of Min-Wells, Kodak Supplies and Finishing, Button and Stamp Photos a Specialty. Dan W. Evans Prop. Min Wells, Tex."
Date: 1907?
Creator: Dan W. Evans

The First Anniversary of the Aviation Engineer Force Activation

Description: Troops and spectators celebrate the first anniversary of Aviation Engineer Force Activation at Wolters Air Force Base on April 10, 1952, with Colonel A.B. Campfield, the Commander of Troops; Brigadier General H.W. Ehrgott, Commanding; Colonel Philip G. Kemp, the Base Commander.
Date: April 10, 1952
Creator: Daniel Photography

The Cullen Grimes School

Description: Principal Donald Bond, the teachers and the students of the afternoon group at Cullen Grimes School in Mineral Wells, Texas congregate in front of the building in March of 1954.
Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.

Sam Houston School

Description: Students, teachers and principal D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School in March 1954 stand outside the school building.
Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.

The Sam Houston School--- An Afternoon Group of 1954

Description: Students, teachers and the principal, D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School's Afternoon Group are shown here in March of 1954. The picture was taken outside the school building.
Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.

Lovers Retreat

Description: A photograph of a group of three men and four women pose in a hollow surrounded by vegetation. This former public park, on Eagle Creek four miles west of Palo Pinto, is known for the huge vine-covered boulders north of the creek, and for a lovely picnic area bordering the creek on the south side. A low dam near the downstream edge of the park formed a favorite early swimming and fishing area. A small pedestrian suspension bridge provided access to the rugged boulder-strewn playground. A large tabernacle provided venue for Sunday Services at one time, and also for the Palo Pinto County Old Settler's Reunions.
Date: unknown
Creator: Fishburn

[General William C. Westmoreland meets with press]

Description: Photograph of General William C. Westmoreland, Army Chief of Staff, meeting with some of the local press during his visit to Fort Wolters. General Westmoreland is in uniform, standing behind a podium with several microphones pointed towards him. On the wood-paneled wall behind him is a large, hanging insignia, reading, "Above The Finest."
Date: June 21, 1969
Creator: Herbert, H. Key

[Photograph of General James K. Woolnough]

Description: Head-shot of Commanding General in the US Army James K. Woolnough. The general is in uniform and is sitting against a light-colored background. On the back of the photograph are typewritten information about the photo (such as the photo's subject, photographer, etc.), a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address, and handwritten notes.
Date: July 5, 1967
Creator: Jameson, E.

[Photgraph of General Paul L. Freeman, Jr.]

Description: Head-shot of Commanding General in the US Army Paul L. Freeman, Jr. The general is in uniform and is sitting in front of a medium-colored backdrop. On the back of the photograph are handwritten notes, a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address, and typewritten notes giving information about the photograph (such as the photo's subject, the photographer, etc.).
Date: unknown
Creator: Jameson, Evelyn C.

[Photograph of Major General Robert R. Williams]

Description: Head-shot of Major General Robert R. Williams, Director of Army Aviation. The Major General is in uniform and sits in front of a dark background. On the back of the photograph are typewritten notes, a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address, and a handwritten note that reads, "60%."
Date: March 14, 1967
Creator: Porter, Oscar E.

Judge J. A. Lynch

Description: Shown here is a reproduction of a steel engraving of Judge J. A. Lynch, founder of Mineral Wells. The source of the engraving remains unknown. A fragment of copy at the bottom of the picture mentions the "inconvenience of hauling it from the Brazos River." The initials "GSW" are visible to the left of the judge's lapel.
Date: unknown
Creator: Thomas Beauregard (?)

[Photograph of Lawrence J. Lincoln, Commanding Lieutenant General]

Description: Photograph of Commanding Lieutenant General Lawrence J. Lincoln. He is in uniform, sitting at a desk with an American flag in the background. His uniform bears small emblems and awards, including his colors. On the back of the photograph are stamped, typewritten, and handwritten notes.
Date: July 31, 1967
Creator: Turner, Raymond

[416 NW 6th Street, western elevation]

Description: This home, at 416 NW 6th Street, was built in 1904 by Robert Wylie, a prominent pioneer cattleman. It was home to the Wiley family until 1917, when it passed into the ownership of the Luther Waddy. In 2006, it was owned and occupied by Jayne Catrett. Billy Gross, Junior, grandson of W.H. Gross, and an original member of the Heritage Association, wrote a detailed description of the house's interior that is too long to be included here. He worked at the Boyce Ditto Library until his death. This photograph, taken in June of 1974, shows the side (western) elevation of the house from NW 4th Avenue, showing the second intersecting gable and hipped roof, characteristic of Queen Anne architecture. For details about this house, please see the previous picture. Another view of it may be found in "Time Was...," by A. F. Weaver, on page 141.
Date: unknown
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[612 NW 6th Street]

Description: This photograph of 612 N. W. 6th Street was taken on the Fourth of July, 1975. The house was built in 1905 by W. S. McCutcheon. The house has been owned and occupied from that time to the present time (2006) by Gil Hull. The local parish of the Episcopal Church held meetings in the basement that members lovingly called "the Catacombs." St. Luke's Episcopal Church is located next door on a lot donated by the McCutcheons. The style of the house is tentatively determined to be Neo-classical. It shows evidence of extensive remodeling. An earlier photograph is pictured on page 140 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver.
Date: July 4, 1975
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[915 NW 4th Avenue]

Description: This home at 915 NW 4th Avenue was built by Hugh Coleman in 1906. It was the first "Elegant" home built on NW 4th Avenue, and it was designed as an entertainment and social center. The style of the house has been tentatively identified as Italian Renaissance. This house was also home to the John Moore family, and to the family of Gerald Talkington. The photograph of house was taken April 4, 1976. This photograph is to be found on page 183 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver.
Date: April 4, 1976
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[915 NW 4th Avenue]

Description: This home at 915 NW 4th Avenue was built by Hugh Coleman in 1906. It was the first "Elegant" home built on NW 4th Avenue, and it was designed as an entertainment and social center. This house has also been home to the John Moore family and the family of Gerald Talkington. The photograph of the house was taken in June 1974. Another photograph of the house, without the obscuring of the trees in full leaf, may be seen in the preceding photograph;or on page 183 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver.
Date: unknown
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[A 1949 Mercury]

Description: Illustrated here is a photograph of a 1949 Mercury that was owned by A.F.Weaver, Jr. when he sold Crazy Water Crystals in the Houston and New Orleans areas. Mr. Weaver's father moved to Mineral Wells in the 1930's to manage the Crazy Water Company's operations. Art, Jr. became a salesman for Crazy Water Crystals following World War II.
Date: 1949
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[An Aerial View of Early Mineral Wells]

Description: Two very early panoramic views of Mineral Wells are shown here, one of them, the UPPER PICTURE, being the north-west Business District of the city looking southwest. Note the horse-drawn transportation in the streets, and Poston's Dry Goods store in the upper middle. In the LOWER PICTURE looking northwest, a livery stable shows in the lower left corner; the Hawthorn Water Pavilion (with spire) is shown in the left middle above and right of the livery stable barn; the Crazy Drinking Pavilion is the large two-story building at upper middle of lower photograph; and the Hexagon Hotel is near the skyline at the upper right.
Date: unknown
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells]

Description: This picture shows an aerial view of Mineral Wells, Texas, looking northwest. Identified buildings include the Baker Hotel (center), the Hexagon Hotel (right, north of Baker), the Convention Hall (next to and right of the Hexagon), the Box Factory (formerly the Crazy Water Crystal plant, left and west of the Hexagon Hotel), the First Methodist Church (across street right and northeast of Baker), the Baker Parking Garage (across the street, south of and immediately in front of the Hotel in this picture), and the Baker Water Works (extreme right middle, up the slope of East Mountain.)
Date: unknown
Creator: Weaver, A. F.