Description: Shown here is an interior view of a motor car, called by the locals the "Doodle Bug", showing the port-hole windows that were characteristic of all motor-cars built by William McKeen. They were claimed to be dust-proof. Two of these 70-foot, 200-horsepower, gasoline-powered, 81-passenger motor cars made a round trip daily from Graford, Texas, through Mineral Wells to Dallas from June 11,1912 to April 23, 1929. They were joined March 27, 1913 by a similar coach on the Gulf Texas & Western (GT&W) line that ran from Seymour through Olney and Jacksboro to Salesville where it traveled over the WMW&NW (Weatherford, Mineral Wells,& Northwestern) rails through Mineral Wells and on to Dallas. Motor-car service was re-established (suggesting that it must have been been abated) between Fort Worth and Mineral Wells on June 6, 1913, at the order of the Texas Railroad Commission. The Weatherford "Daily Herald" reported that a steam train would replace the motor-cars on April 22, 1913, "...on account of the very crowded condition of the motor car...[which] has occasioned so much discomfort and dissatisfaction on the part of the travelling public." Since the motor-cars were reported to be still running in 1929, one may draw one's own conclusion. This picture is on page 93 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells...", First Edition, 1975.
Item Type: Refine your search to only Photograph