Boyce Ditto Public Library - 978 Matching Results

Search Results

Legarian Club

Description: This photograph shows Members of the Legarian Club, a Mineral Wells Ladies' social club around the turn of the twentieth century. Members included (from top to bottom): Anna Hustead, Hitt Hiles, Anna Oliver Munns, Gussie Waldron Coe, Annie Farley, Maggie Arnold Johnson, Bessie Birdwall Yeager, Alice Raines Williams, Willie McQueary Martin, Anne Yeager Crawford, Fay Henry, Alice Richards Hiles, Kitty Austin Simms, Ada Yeager, [Unidentified], and Ada Crump. The picture appears to have been taken at an outing at Lovers' Retreat, (a public recreation park at the time) on Eagle Creek, about 4 miles west of Palo Pinto.
Date: unknown

[A Souvenir Photograph of a Donkey Ride up East Mountain]

Description: Entertainment for the many visitors to Mineral Wells around the turn of the twentieth century was provided, in part, by donkey rides up a trail to the top of East Mountain. The donkey trail crossed a 1,000-step staircase, built in 1905, to the top of the mountain about half-way up. Photographers, first J.C. McClure and then J.L. Young, took souvenir photographs of the visitors at this crossing. This photograph of the Belcher family was a taken by J. D. McClure. Mr. John M. Belcher stands on the right and his son, John E. Belcher sits on a donkey at the left of the picture, with his mother standing beside him. The clothing suggests that the picture was taken in the early 1900's. The legend "19EE" in the lower left-hand part of the picture invites speculation concerning its significance.
Date: 1900?

[The Woodmen of the World - 1911]

Description: The picture was taken in 1911 during the Woodmen of the World convention. It shows the backside of the Crazy Flats, before the first Crazy Hotel sections were constructed. The buildings in the background are the four wings of the Crazy Well Water Company, "The Crazy Flats," where rooms for rent were also available. The first Crazy Hotel was built the following year, 1912, on the location where this convention gathering is pictured.
Date: October 30, 2006

[The First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Shown here is the south side of the third First Presbyterian Church building, at 300 NW 4th Ave., and the second one at this site. Due to structural damage to the foundation, the building was torn down during the 1980's and replaced with the fourth First Presbyterian Church building - the third at this location. The building reflects an eclectic architecture, principally in Neo-classic style.
Date: 1980

North Front of Old School House

Description: A north (side) view of the West Ward School, Mineral Wells' first High School. Built in 1902, located at 205 NW 5th Avenue, north of and on the same property as the old Rock School. The school served as both a High School and Elementary school until the East Ward School was built in 1906. When Mineral Wells High School was built in 1915, the West Ward name was changed to Houston Elementary School. It was torn down when a new Houston School was built in 1930. A note on the back of this photograph states "From Howard Album."
Date: unknown

Gibson Well Park and Pavilion

Description: Young ladies frolic at the Gibson Well Park around 1900. Two young women are swinging jump-ropes Double-Dutch style for a third lady. The dress styles indicate this group represents a social club on a spring outing. Note the distinctive architectural style of the Gibson mineral water pavilion. The First Christian Church now occupies the site of the early Gibson Park.
Date: unknown

Junior Class, 1913

Description: A photograph of the Junior Class of 1913 is illustrated here. Please observe that two of the men in the front row are wearing soft collars, which was just becoming fashion at the time. The only person identified is Miss David Gladys Galbraith (named after her father, owner of the Hexagon Hotel) in the middle row, 3rd from the right. Identifications of the other people would be welcomed. The Junior class of 1913 would have been the last graduating class from the East Ward School in 1914. Mineral Wells' High School opened that following year, 1915.
Date: unknown

Mr. Lynch On His Way to Discover Mineral Wells

Description: This picture is a photograph of a cartoon. See also "Opening of the First Season at Mineral Wells" and "The First Well Was Dug Here in 1877." Please note the centipede, illustrated along with other forms of wildlife. Also, please note the Indians, who appear to be friendly. A.F. Weaver took this cartoon from a jocular booklet titled "Inside Story About the Waters" (q.v.) that is in the Palo Pinto County Album collection (q.v.) It is written in the nineteenth-century burlesque style, and need not be taken seriously.
Date: October 16, 2006

[The R. B. Preston Building]

Description: Written on back of the photograph is: "R.B. Preston Building[,] Corner of Mesquite & Wall." A 1909 City Directory lists the address of the Preston Building as 110-116 North Mesquite, currently the location of the Baker Hotel, built at this location in 1929. The back of a duplicate picture indicates that the building was the Masonic Building; the 1909 directory lists the Masonic Hall at 113 S. Mesquite--the next block south.
Date: unknown

Davis Bath House Mineral Wells, Texas

Description: A photograph of the allurements to be found at the Davis Bath House is shown here. This building was used for the Buckhead Bath House at one time, and then used for the Davis Bath House. The building is located in the 200 block of N. Oak Avenue. Still in existence, it is under renovation as of 2010. This photograph appears on page 52 of the Mini Edition, "Time Was in Mineral Wells..."
Date: unknown

[Some Gentlemen in Front of the Oxford Hotel]

Description: Seated in front of the Oxford Hotel, from left to right, are: R.B. Preston, Mr. Dick from Millsap, and Stith Edmondson. (Mr. Edmondson was an early sheriff of Palo Pinto County.) Dr. J. H. McCracken can be seen in the window. The First State Bank and Trust Company was located in the corner of this building, later called the Firstron Building. A sign on the building in the left corner states "$15.00 Fine for Spitting on Sidewalk". This picture appears on page 103 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells..." second edition.
Date: unknown

The Opening of the First Season at Mineral Wells

Description: A.F. Weaver obtained this cartoon from a jocular booklet titled "Inside Story About the Waters", now in the Palo Pinto County Album collection (q.v.). The booklet is written in the nineteenth-century burlesque tradition, and is not meant to be taken seriously. See also the cartoons "The First Well Was Dug Here in 1877" and "Mr. Lynch on His Way to Discover Mineral Wells."
Date: unknown

Judge J. A. Lynch

Description: Shown here is a reproduction of a steel engraving of Judge J. A. Lynch, founder of Mineral Wells. The source of the engraving remains unknown. A fragment of copy at the bottom of the picture mentions the "inconvenience of hauling it from the Brazos River." The initials "GSW" are visible to the left of the judge's lapel.
Date: unknown
Creator: Thomas Beauregard (?)

John Moore Home, 1911 [exterior]

Description: An inscription on photograph reads: "(John Moore Home) 1911." The house was built in 1906 at 915 NW 4th Avenue by Hugh Coleman. Note the period dress and cowboy clothing. The names of the people pictured are not known. The young man in the foreground is demonstrating his skill with a lariat. The group appears to be in the home's porte-cochere, which was used to protect people, while disembarking from an automobile or a carriage during inclement weather
Date: unknown

Thompson-Cunningham Home

Description: This picture is, apparently, a page distributed during a 1975 "Tour of Homes." It is best viewed and read when enlarged on the computer screen. The picture is a copy of the one used on page 141 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver. This house, at 215 NE 2nd Street, is Queen Anne style, spindle work subtype. It was restored in 2006 by Bill Pratt, Jr.
Date: unknown

The John Moore Home, 1911, 1 of 2: Interior

Description: An inscription on the photograph reads: "(John Moore Home) 1911." The original builder of the house was Hugh Coleman. John Moore occupied the house in the early twentieth century. Please note the period dress and furniture. The fireplace shows an "Arts and Crafts" style of construction. The names of the people pictured are not known. This picture appears to be that of a house now [2008]located at 915 NW 4th Avenue. Hugh M. Coleman was the head of H.M. Coleman & Co., dealers in "Everything that men wear." He is said to have accumulated a large number of rent houses, of which this might be one. (This information about Hugh Coleman is taken from the "Mineral Wells Index", special supplement, originally published May 6, 1907)
Date: unknown

[The Norwood Hospital]

Description: A photograph of the Norwood Hospital during its completion. Note the "Parry and Spicer Architects" sign and the "Goodrum, Murphy and Croft Contractors" sign. Dr. Norwood was the first Osteopathic doctor to set up business in Mineral Wells. He departed this life at the age of 82 in 1953. The building was donated to the Mineral Wells Historic Foundation. Plans were announced to convert the clinic to a Bed and Breakfast facility, but no progress towards such a conversion has been made to date [2007]. The legend "1863" appears on the photograph, but it is not known what it signifies. It cannot possibly be the date of the building--or of its photograph.
Date: 1900?

The John Moore Home, 1911, 2 of 2: Interior

Description: An inscription on photograph reads: "(John Moore Home) 1911." The original builder was Hugh Coleman. John Moore occupied the house at a later date. Please note the period dress and furniture. The names of the people pictured are not known. This photograph appears to show a house now located at 915 NW 4th Avenue.
Date: unknown

The Kingsley

Description: The Kingsley was built on the side of East Mountain around NW 7th Street, and was eventually destroyed by fire. The legend "The Kinglsey, Mineral Wells Texa." invites comentary, as "Texa" is not a proper abbreviation for "Texas." This photograph appears on page 102 of A. F. Weaver's pictorial history book, "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells..." Second Edition, 1988.
Date: unknown

The Welcome Sign on East Mountain, Mineral Wells, Texas

Description: This picture is taken from a postcard claiming that the "Welcome" sign on East Mountain is "reputed to be the largest non-commercial electric sign in U.S." It has been claimed that the "Hollywood" sign was inspired by the "Welcome" sign, but this is likely a folk legend. (The preceding picture is a black and white original of this tinted picture. A more complete description may be found there.)
Date: unknown

The First Well Was Dug Here in 1877

Description: This photograph illustrates a cartoon. "1880" is written in ink at bottom of the photograph, evidently in correction of the cartoon. Lynch arrived in what would later be Mineral Wells in 1877. His first well, dug to forty-one feet in 1878, was dry. The second well, drilled deeper, was in 1880. Please see also "Opening of the First Season at Mineral Wells" and "Mr. Lynch on His Way to Discover Mineral Wells." The cartoon appears to have been taken by A. F. Weaver from a jocular booklet titled "Inside Story About the Waters" which is in the holdings of the Palo Pinto County Album (q.v.). The booklet was written in the nineteenth-century burlesque tradition, and Weaver makes no comment on the cartoon or the booklet.
Date: unknown