Boyce Ditto Public Library - 2,204 Matching Results

Search Results

[Scrapbook: Mineral Wells, Mayor Harris]

Description: Scrapbook containing newspaper clippings, letters, photographs, and other materials related to the life of D. C. Harris and his time as mayor of Mineral Wells, Texas as well as information about news and events in the town. Many of the pages include handwritten explanations and annotations.
Date: unknown
Creator: Harris, Helen

[Howard Family Album]

Description: Scrapbook documenting information about the Howard family and the history of Mineral Wells in Palo Pinto County, Texas. It includes photographs, newspaper clippings, and other documents along with handwritten notes and annotations.
Date: unknown

[Camp Wolters Service Album]

Description: Photo album of Private Gerald H. Hoffman, in a standard Camp Wolters "Service Album" book that includes pre-printed information sheets at the front. The photographs include handwritten identifications and annotations; some other loose materials have also been put into the book.
Date: unknown
Creator: Hoffman, Gerald H.

[915 NW 4th Avenue]

Description: This home at 915 NW 4th Avenue was built by Hugh Coleman in 1906. It was the first "Elegant" home built on NW 4th Avenue, and it was designed as an entertainment and social center. The style of the house has been tentatively identified as Italian Renaissance. This house was also home to the John Moore family, and to the family of Gerald Talkington. The photograph of house was taken April 4, 1976. This photograph is to be found on page 183 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver.
Date: April 4, 1976
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

Young Motor Co.

Description: A text on the photograph identifies it as "May 1952-Grand Opening after fire of 1951,/ 316 E. Hubbard Street, /Photo by A. F. Weaver." This business was the local General Motors dealership and garage. It became Barnett-Young in late 1960's, and in 1984 after Cecil Young's death it was Barnett Motor Co. The building is adjacent to the Baker Hotel parking garage, and, in 2007, it houses the H & H Tire Company.
Date: May 1952
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

St. Nicholas Hotel

Description: A note with the picture states: The original picture was re-done and re-named the "Delaware Hotel." This picture appears on page 104 in "Time Was..." The building was located at 316 N. Oak Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas. It was eventually destroyed by fire. A report in the 1911 Weatherford Herald states that an opera house would be built to replace the "Auditorium"--probably the Chautauqua building nearby. The opera house was never built, and the Chautauqua building survived the hotel.
Date: unknown

Standard [Park]

Description: The Standard Park not only boasted a swimming pool, but a movie theater and dancing pavilion, as well, for the entertainment of health-seekers. A trolley to it operated at 600 North Oak Street from 1907 to 1913. (Note the Kingsley Hotel above and left of the Standard, built into the side of East Mountain--later destroyed by fire.) First known as the Vichy Well and Natatorium, then later as the Beach, the Standard was torn down in World War II; and a USO Club was built here for soldiers at Camp Wolters. The USO building was given to the city after the war, and renamed the North Oak Community Center. The Crazy Water Festival Committee is currently [2003] attempting to restore the Community Center.
Date: 1913?

[The Rock School Bell]

Description: The "Little Rock School" was Mineral Wells' first public school, built in 1884. The school bell, mounted in a bell tower atop the building, called students to class by ringing 10 minutes before school time; and again at the beginning of the class period. It is now currently on display at the Little Rock School Museum, dedicated to preserving the history of Mineral Wells. This picture is found on page 172 of A. F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", First Edition, with a notation: "The original bell for the old 'Rock School' was found years later in the water department warehouse. R. L. (Pete) Cook is on the left and Derrell Stricklin is on the right."
Date: unknown
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[The Texas Carlsbad Well Slogan]

Description: A picture of the slogan posted in the Texas Carlsbad Well pavilion with "proof" that a Cadillac, with its radiator filled with mineral water, was rejuvenated with enough "pep" to pass a Chevrolet. Please note: The first Cadillac V-8 engine was introduced in 1914 as the 'Type 51' engine, so this photograph may be dated to 1914 or thereafter. The "Over" section is not illustrated. It probably contained more braggadocio---or, perhaps, what happened next to the two cars.
Date: 1914?

Thompson-Cunningham Home

Description: This picture is, apparently, a page distributed during a 1975 "Tour of Homes." It is best viewed and read when enlarged on the computer screen. The picture is a copy of the one used on page 141 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver. This house, at 215 NE 2nd Street, is Queen Anne style, spindle work sub-type. The copy refers to a "Cupola" on the house, but cupolas were not a part of Queen Anne architecture. The house seems to have, however, a truncated tower. It was restored in 2006 by Bill Pratt, Jr.
Date: unknown